Search Results for "arlo+award"
Cidu Bill on Oct 20th 2014
If this is nothing but a “When Harry Met Sally” reference, we have a clear Arlo Award winner here.
And John Deering should probably never be allowed to take his kids on a carousel ride.
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, John Deering, comic strips, comics, humor | 9 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Apr 5th 2014
Back-to-back Arlo Awards for Luann. Three in a row, and the strip is legally required to change its name to 9 Chickweed Lane.
The first one also earns the Ick tag, because he’s telling this to his future daughter-in-law.
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Greg Evans, Ick, Luann, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Dec 13th 2013
Laurie Wylie: Not really an “Arlo Award” candidate, per se, although it did kinda make me blush, but delightfully typical Arlo! Love them!
Filed in Arlo and Janic, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Jul 4th 2013
Dan Drazen (”Looks like Joe has got himself one little happy”) and John Delfin sent me this Arlo Award nominee:
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, One Big Happy, comic strips, comics, humor | 25 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Feb 16th 2013
sent this as an Arlo Award candidate. I third the motion, but I also had to add an “ouch” tag.
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Dave Coverly, Ouch, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor | 4 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Feb 13th 2013
I swear, they let Scott Adams and Brooke McEldowney get away with any damn thing they want.
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Dilbert, Scott Adams, comic strips, comics, humor | 9 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Jan 25th 2013
Though just a thought… wouldn’t it have been funnier if Janis had that final line?
Filed in Arlo Award, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor, sex | 23 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Jan 11th 2013
(PreTeena ended a few years ago and is now in “reruns”)
Filed in Alison Barrows, Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Halloween, Preteena, comic strips, comics, humor | No responses yet
Cidu Bill on Jan 9th 2013
(Any Christmas-themed comics I come across from this point forward will get queued up for next Christmas)
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Brian Basset, Christmas, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Jan 7th 2013
A belated Arlo Award goes to Mark Parisi, and a belated apology goes to everybody who sent me this. A while ago.
Hard-drive clean-up: it’s a process.
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Jan 1st 2013
- We mostly discuss individual daily comics here. Comments such as “I hate this comic strip and its artist should never be allowed to work in this business again” are not welcome. The CIDU page is a place for people who love comics, and the artists deserve respect.
- Whether a particular person understands a particular comic can sometimes be incredibly subjective. People send me between 10 and 20 comics a week, and most of them I can easily explain. Then I might come across a comic I don’t get (and I’ll put on the page), which will be glaringly obvious to everybody else. Sometimes (rarely) when this happens, I’ll get a comment along the lines of “Hey, are you stupid or something?” My response is generally along the lines of “No, I just didn’t understand this particular comic. Leave and don’t come back.”
I really hate to ban anybody, but I have no use for anybody who will come into my (virtual) home to insult me. I’m not keen on my houseguests insulting one another either.Thread drift is fine — in fact it seems to be fairly routine — but personal attacks are not.
- If you post a message that contains more than one link, it won’t appear until after I’ve okayed it — which generally happens very quickly, since I pretty much live online. The purpose of this, of course, is to keep spam from taking over the site.
- For those of you who are new here, we’ve moved a bit beyond just explaining comics: We also have special sections for the Arlo Page (comics you don’t want to explain to the kids) and the related Arlo Award (comics that appeared in mainstream newspapers which somehow slipped by the syndicate’s censors — this being one of the more blatant examples).
By the way, the Arlo Page is named after Arlo Guthrie. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.Other special categories we have here include the Ewww Files (fairly self-explanatory), Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud (a Sunday morning hall of fame for comics we really, really got a kick out of) , and the ChadWatch. ChadWatch are comics that attempt to mine humor from the 2000 presidential elections, usually by making references to hanging chads. I began this section back in December of 2000 in order to try to pinpoint the very last chad-related gag (because seriously, the joke was well past played out by the time Bush took office). I never suspected that more than 12 years later, we’d still be collecting them.
Sometimes we’ll notice two comic strips using a nearly-identical gag on the same day for no apparent reason. When that happens I’ll post them both, noting the synchronicity. Just because. These rarely call out for explanation.
- The site is updated with a new CIDU every weekday at 12:02am Eastern Time — except for the two weeks or so following both “spring forward” and “fall back,” when WordPress is still trying to figure out the time change. Then the comic could go live either an hour earlier or an hour later, pretty much randomly. Don’t ask.
Saturday morning is reserved for the Ewww Files, and Sunday is the aforementioned LOL collection. Other posts might be scattered throughout the day, but the 12:02am update is a constant.
- I run the website for Crime, Justice & America magazine, and I link to any articles I think might appeal to the people visiting CIDU. These always include “CJA” in the subject line (except when I forget).
- We don’t encourage artists to explain their own comics, because they’ve already had their chance to make us understand. Also, it’s more fun this way.
- Finally, if you have anything to send me — a comic you don’t understand, an Arlo or ChadWatch candidate, a suggestion, whatever — please e-mail me at comicsidontunderstand at gmail.com. Even if you know my personal address, please use the CIDU address for submissions: less likely to get lost in the shuffle.
When you’re submitting a comic, please (if possible) give me a link to it, and attach it — because sometimes attachments don’t survive the trip, and sometimes links don’t work. Just for the record, if you send me a link that contains rbma.com, it will not work.
I don’t ignore anything, but I’m not as good at keeping current with my e-mail as I might be. This site is my “fourth job,” after all.
If you send me something and you don’t want your full name used, sign the e-mail with your first name, or the nickname you commonly use here. Or if you want to be absolutely sure, just add “Call me Bob.” Please don’t expect me to remember from a previous time, because I’m lucky if I remember my own kids’ names.
Thanks to Blinky the Wonder Wombat for providing a better definition for the Arlo Page than I’d been offering
Filed in Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, CIDU, ChadWatch, Ewww, FAQ, comics that made us laugh out loud, lol, synchronicity | 16 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Dec 26th 2012
When I checked my inbox this morning, four people had already nominated this for the Arlo Award:
Filed in Arlo Award, Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 18 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Dec 9th 2012
Is the gag here (and I mean
“gag”) that the two flies are “makin’ maggot” under the mistletoe, and the female fly is giving birth (-ish) right in front of us? Which would mean a confluence of “Arlo Award,” truly bizarre, and “Ewww! Ewww! Ewww!”
Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Arlo Award, Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, Brooke McEldowney, CIDU, Ewww, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Oct 18th 2012
On the other hand perhaps Greg Evans was trying to get away with something here, because how does “snit” really make sense?
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Greg Evans, Luann, comic strips, comics, humor | 26 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Oct 8th 2012
Julie: While I consider it to be safe for work, there is no way to explain it to a kid without going into some “adult” details.
Filed in Argyle Sweater, Arlo Award, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, humor | 19 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Aug 15th 2012
Let’s just say a whole lot of people sent me this one, and leave it at that… Continue Reading »
Filed in Bill Bickel, Scott Adams, comic strips, comics, humor | 29 responses so far
Cidu Bill on May 14th 2012
Morris Keesan sent this with the notation “I don’t know whether today’s Dilbert is too easy and obvious to even bother nominating for an Arlo award” — which was just rubbing salt in the wounds of the three people who sent it to me as a CIDU (and me, since I don’t get it either). Continue Reading »
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dilbert, Scott Adams, comic strips, comics, humor | 36 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Apr 27th 2012
Seriously, how did this get past the syndicate and newspaper editors?
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Dan Piraro, Viagra, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Dec 5th 2011
Normally I don’t even consider 9 Chickweed Lane for the Arlo Award anymore, because apparently the syndicate editors have accepted the fact that the strip is now soft-core porn — but this one was worth of an exception (and both Brian and Hans Peter agreed):
Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Brooke McEldowney, comic strips, comics, humor | 30 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Oct 29th 2011
I was sent this by four people, as (collectively) LOL, Ewww, and the Arlo Award:
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Ewww, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 10 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Sep 16th 2011
A number of people sent me various of this week’s 9 Chickweed Lane comics, recommending them for the Arlo Award (for sneaking something past the syndicate censors). For the record, we’ve been informed that Francis has lost his bathing suit and is completely al fresco.
I think going forward we should disqualify 9 Chickweed Lane from this award since as of a few years ago it officially crossed over to soft core porn and for some reason the syndicate censors are okay with this.
Filed in 9 Chickweed Lane, Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Brooke McEldowney, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far
Cidu Bill on Aug 14th 2011
Morris Keesan’s Arlo Award nomination:
Filed in Arlo Award, Bill Bickel, Dilbert, Scott Adams, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far