WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18870) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Two Observations

Two Observations

on Dec 14th 2017

frazz-observations.JPG

1. It occurred to me when I was reading this that Mrs. Olsen probably wouldn’t have been allowed to serve this comeback to Caulfield.

2. Mrs. Olsen looks like one of the heads on Easter Island.

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18870) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (18870) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Two Observations”

1. Arthur Dec 14th 2017 at 11:13 pm 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I thought this would have been better without the third panel.

2. Mona Dec 14th 2017 at 11:14 pm 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The only flaw in this is that (in general and in the context of this comic) the people who don’t know how to spell don’t care that they can’t and you can. To them, it doesn’t make you look smarter, you’re just stupid to have wasted your time that way. Kind of like how the kids smokin’ in the boys room do not admire you because you are healthier than they are because you don’t smoke.

3. turquoisecow Dec 14th 2017 at 11:28 pm 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I agree with Arthur (1). The strip puts down Mrs. Olsen enough and could have just let her be a good teacher for one day without having Frazz undermine her.

4. chakolate Dec 15th 2017 at 12:02 am 4

Mona @ 2,

My nephews weren’t taught spelling when they were in school. Their school thought that spell-checkers would eliminate the need for good spelling. By the time they figured out they were wrong, both of my nephews had aged out.

Now they are acutely aware that they can’t spell (they write like functional illiterates) and it makes them reluctant to write anything.

I suspect that lots of poor spellers know they’re worse off.

5. Christine Dec 15th 2017 at 01:03 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@chakolate - even if they know they’re worse off, they can’t necessarily tell if you’re in the same boat as them or not.

6. Kilby Dec 15th 2017 at 02:10 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think the reason that this strip would not have worked (as well) with Caulfield is that he is always angling for whatever advantage he can wrangle. Serving up this opportunity to this (anonymous) girl is like offering her a nice present. Giving it to Caulfield would be like shipping coal to Newcastle (or, as the Germans put it, “owls to Athens”).

7. Philip Dec 15th 2017 at 02:11 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, but it’s not the non-spellers that realize you are smarter than them. It’s someone who is reading something written by a non-speller and you — Say a resume?

8. Cidu Bill Dec 15th 2017 at 02:38 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The reason I think the strip could not have featured Caulfield is that he’s Mallett’s surrogate and he rarely if ever allows Mrs. Olsen to hold her own against him.

“Owls to Athens.” I like that.

9. James Pollock Dec 15th 2017 at 04:36 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The reason that this strip could not have featured Caulfield is that it would be out of charactor for him. Caulfield favors literature; he’s not going to argue against learning spelling.

10. B.A. Dec 15th 2017 at 04:42 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

James, Caulfield is one of those people who argues for the sake of arguing. It’s not the topic that matters, it’s the battle.

11. DemetriosX Dec 15th 2017 at 07:43 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I would have said that Frazz is Mallett’s surrogate. There’s a reason that Jef the Cyclist in Pearls Before Swine spells his name like that. I suppose it’s both of them in a way.

The phrase “Owls to Athens” actually dates back to Ancient Greece. During its heyday, Athens was extremely rich thanks to the massive silver deposits in Attica. They stamped their silver coins with an owl (the symbol of Athena and the same one found on Greek Euros today) and so those coins were sometimes called owls. Germans were really big on Antiquity as a sign of culture in the 18th and 19th centuries, so a few things like that have left their DNA in everyday language.

12. Usual John Dec 15th 2017 at 08:08 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I thought Frazz in the third panel was being supportive of Mrs. Olsen and of the thought of being smarter than most of the world.

13. Terrence Feenstra Dec 15th 2017 at 09:41 am 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Spelling matters. It is, in a sense, a show of respect to the reader; that the writer cares enough to put effort into the clarity/accuracy of her/his message. I hope I used that semicolon correctly.

14. James Pollock Dec 15th 2017 at 09:50 am 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“James, Caulfield is one of those people who argues for the sake of arguing.”

No, I’M one of those people. Caulfield has other motivations.

15. Andréa Dec 15th 2017 at 10:43 am 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Shouldn’t it be “than they are”?

16. MikeD Dec 15th 2017 at 11:37 am 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I agree with Usual John (12). I see Frazz as reinforcing what the girl is probably already considering: if she was told something by someone smarter than most the rest of the world, she should remember it well.

17. Winter Wallaby Dec 15th 2017 at 12:29 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Usual John #12/MikeD #15: I see the third panel as a little more mixed. Frazz is indeed agreeing with Mrs. Olsen. But “You don’t want to pass that up” has the implication that the thing you don’t want to pass up is so good because it’s a rarity. That is, there’s a bit of “Wow, Mrs. Olsen actually said something smart?” in the 3rd panel.

18. Ron Dec 15th 2017 at 02:06 pm 18

@Terrence Feenstra (13)
    I hesitate to mention this, but the semicolon should have been a
    colon. Alternatively, with the word “that” omitted, a semicolon
    would be correct.

19. chakolate Dec 15th 2017 at 09:28 pm 19

@Christine @ 5

“even if they know they’re worse off, they can’t necessarily tell if you’re in the same boat as them or not.”

True. I can only speak for my nephews, though - they definitely can tell, they just can’t produce good spelling on their own, without a dictionary.

20. Arthur Dec 18th 2017 at 08:25 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Andréa @ 15, yes it should be, theoretically.
    But that’s the high-falutin’, prissily correct English which will
    negate any benefit gained by showing off correct spelling.

21. Meryl A Dec 19th 2017 at 03:27 am 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

1 - When I was in 6th grade (long before spell check) my seplling was terrible - that is not an error - that was how I spelled spelling on the test headings. My 6th grade spelling teacher had me come in for extra help . I don’t remember how or what she taught me, but generally I at least know that a word is misspelled even without spell check and to go find out how to spell it.

2 - When home computers were still in their young years, husband wrote a letter to a friend (the kind one mails USPS). He handed it to me to see if there was anything I wanted to add. I pointed out an error in the use of to/too/two (don’t remember which of them). He corrected the error by hand and wrote in the margin “That is why wives are better than spellcheck.”