WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (16715) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » My best guess is that Mr. Parisi knows just enough about Chanukah to get himself into trouble

on Dec 12th 2017

menorah.gif

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (16715) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (16715) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 18 responses so far

18 Responses to “My best guess is that Mr. Parisi knows just enough about Chanukah to get himself into trouble”

1. Arthur Dec 12th 2017 at 12:14 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I was thinking about electric menorahs. In the proper spirit of
    Chanukah, shouldn’t you replace the bulbs with LEDs so that the
    amount of electricity you’d have used for one day will then last
    for eight?

2. billybob Dec 12th 2017 at 01:02 am 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

he’s tired of his gas guzzler.

3. Arthur Dec 12th 2017 at 01:15 am 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Actually, I think the comic makes sense. Short of a miracle, he
    doesn’t have enough oil to keep that huge menorah going for
    eight days.

4. James Pollock Dec 12th 2017 at 05:02 am 4

He should get a hybrid.

5. JHGRedekop Dec 12th 2017 at 09:07 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

He got the Hummer of menorahs, but decided it wasn’t worth the fuel costs, and is trading it in for a compact.

6. mike smith Dec 12th 2017 at 01:26 pm 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

If you know the story then you know the original cast got eight days of light from one day’s worth of oil. That’s some pretty impressive mileage.

7. Christine Dec 12th 2017 at 02:26 pm 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Not being super familiar with the holiday myself, I don’t see how this isn’t hilarious. He wants the oil to last longer, combined with an implied comparison to cars. It seemed quite clever to me.

8. Jeff Lichtman Dec 12th 2017 at 03:19 pm 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I like the idea of a store that sells nothing but menorahs.

9. Kilby Dec 12th 2017 at 03:25 pm 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

mike smith @6 hit on one detail that I’ve been wondering about since I saw this comic: I’m sure that lots of Americans know that it is the “festival of lights” and that it lasts eight days. What I’m not so sure about it is how many (non-Jewish) people know that it commemorates a miracle specifically related to oil lamps.

P.S. The text as written doesn’t scan well, it could have been improved by changing “…that’s better…” to read “…that uses less…”.

10. Pinny Dec 12th 2017 at 08:10 pm 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Mr. Parisi has a nice collection of Chanukah comics. They seem to be the product of someone who is familiar with the holiday.

11. Meryl A Dec 13th 2017 at 02:35 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

And oil lit menorahs have been coming into fashion lately.

Me, tonight for the first night, I took out menorah and one of my sacks (okay gallon zip plastic bags) of candles for it and selected two candles for the first night.

Why gallon zip plastic bags instead of the cute small boxes of them - well, there is a woman in the Lancaster, PA area who owned stores at 3 of the larger farmers markets - plus one at home. She decided it was time to consolidate down to the one at home and for 3 years has been selling everything for 50% her already (really) cheap prices - this past year 60% off. She put all the chanukah candles into gallon zip bags to sell them to more people (”look at the cute candles, let’s buy a bag” - instead of “don’t buy those, they’re for Jews”). I am on my 3rd year from the same bag of candles - I may outlive my collection of Chanukah candles. Each bag was 75 cents at 50% off - the question is should I buy more at 60% off.

12. Christine Dec 13th 2017 at 10:19 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Kilby - It’s a very non-representative sample (and not just because I’m Canadian), but in my high school World Religions class, the teacher was “teaching” by pretty much reading a page or two ahead in the book. This meant that he missed the more detailed explanation of Chanukah, and explained to the class that it was a celebration of the end of the Maccabean Revolt. I was the only person who called him on it (and no one spoke up once that was mentioned, although given that one of the other kids in the class was the son of an Anglican priest, I can’t have been the only person who knew.) Sure, I’ve since discovered that if you look with a long enough historical view he was probably right. But given the context, he just didn’t have a clue.

13. Grawlix Dec 13th 2017 at 06:57 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Am I the only one wondering how a 10-foot menorah can fit in his car in the first place?

14. Cidu Bill Dec 14th 2017 at 12:16 am 14

Grawlix,

15. Grawlix Dec 14th 2017 at 04:14 am 15

Touche, Cidu Bill.

I just hope he doesn’t have any low bridges along the way.

Those giant menorahs must be for outdoor town square use. :-)

Oh, and BTW, I have seen small Christmas trees mounted on car roofs, upright, complete with lights.

Festive!

16. James Pollock Dec 14th 2017 at 07:58 am 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“I have also seen at least one large menorah in my area similarly mounted on a car, illuminated.
    Festive!”

But if anyone sees it at the gas station…

17. Meryl A Dec 20th 2017 at 02:17 am 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

1 - The large outdoor menorahs at various sites generally have Ball type jars (that being a brand name of canning jars) over the bulbs and often are even made of PVC pipe - otherwise wood is common for the menorah.

2 - There is one house on a different main street (than ours) where every year the family puts up a huge Chanukah display of the blow up type items - including a blow up menorah that they can control which lights go on. (That reminds me - be right back - I forgot to turn on the candles for tonight on light up stuffed Chanukah bear - a small, but popular fellow among the Christmas bears around him. I was too busy putting the lights on the Christmas tree to remember.)

3 - On the sad side of menorahs - an ultra Orthodox family was using a oil lit menorah and it was left on (I guess too much oil in it) after they went to sleep. The mother and two children were killed; the father and two others in the hospital after trying to save those that were killed.

18. Cidu Bill Dec 20th 2017 at 05:02 am 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

There’s a house in our town that has a 1o-foot-tall menorah out front, all year round. At first I thought it was a synogogue but no, just somebody’s home.

It does serve as a great landmark, though, because there’s a street nearby that’s hard to see from the main road, so people can say Make a left just after the enormous menorah