WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18859) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Whatever year it was that women last ironed clothing called…

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Whatever year it was that women last ironed clothing called…

on Dec 11th 2017

iron.gif

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18859) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (18859) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 22 responses so far

22 Responses to “Whatever year it was that women last ironed clothing called…”

1. Kilby Dec 11th 2017 at 06:14 pm 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

At first I was going to advise that she’d have better luck just tumbling the clothes in the dryer for a few minutes, but then I realized that it would be a hopeless endeavor. Somehow it seems that all the characters in this feature are not only ugly (bucktoothed and fat), but also incredibly stupid. In any case, if she can’t spring for a new iron, she’ll never be able to afford a dryer.

2. Wendy Dec 11th 2017 at 06:22 pm 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Interesting that it actually looks like an industrial press iron. The only time I’ve ironed anything was on the very few times I actually tried to sew something, and then you really need to iron the hems to get them to lie right. All the rest of the time, the dryer works great.

3. Mona Dec 11th 2017 at 06:23 pm 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I have an ancient steamer thing that can be used to steam the wrinkles out of clothes while they are hanging. It is small enough that I could take it in my suitcase when traveling. That being said, I cannot recall how many decades ago I last used it. I do actually know where it is! I have never owned an iron. When I was a kid I would help my Mom iron.

4. ja Dec 11th 2017 at 06:45 pm 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I iron clothes for my wife…

5. Winter Wallaby Dec 11th 2017 at 07:26 pm 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I still iron when quilting. Never for normal clothes, though.

6. zbicyclist Dec 11th 2017 at 08:19 pm 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“For the record, I’ve been married more than 38 years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen my wife iron anything. I wouldn’t know how.”

Amen. Early in the marriage we made the rule that if you want your clothing ironed, you iron it yourself. Neither of us owns much clothing that needs ironing. Right now, I couldn’t tell you where the iron is.

7. Christine Dec 11th 2017 at 08:42 pm 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

My husband knows how to iron clothes, because he has clothes that need ironing. Me? I iron only when sewing. (And with stuff that isn’t good clothing I quite often skimp on that.)

8. Sheep Dec 12th 2017 at 07:34 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Why don’t people iron clothes anymore? I do that all the time.

9. Carl Dec 12th 2017 at 07:56 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Another guy here who can iron, though I only do it rarely, generally on trips because I can’t pack a shirt without wrinkling it.

10. Chip Dec 12th 2017 at 09:30 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I used to use an iron to wax my skis.

11. Daniel J. Drazen Dec 12th 2017 at 09:31 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I wouldn’t mind having a home version of a press iron.

12. chuckers Dec 12th 2017 at 09:53 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I iron some of my shirts and slacks when I am getting grief about them needing it from the spouse. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t really bother.

13. Powers Dec 12th 2017 at 10:52 am 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I could iron if I needed to, but I don’t. My wife does on the very rare occasions when it’s necessary.

14. mitch4 Dec 12th 2017 at 01:37 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Gosh, I can’t find it now, but within the last month or so I saw a cartoon involving a guy in a neat but oddly criss-cross-pressed shirt, and his wife saying something like “Well okay, I guess a waffle iron is an iron.”

15. Keera Dec 12th 2017 at 03:59 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I did iron a table cloth just because a while back, and some knitted wash cloths that were to be gifted, but I couldn’t remember when I last ironed before that (10 years?) and can’t be bothered with clothes that need ironing. However, I do know how to iron shirts. My grandpa* showed me.
    *) Not a typo. He had to know since he was a sailor; no women aboard ship. Also showed me how to thread needles, sew buttons and make scrambled eggs.

16. Scott Dec 12th 2017 at 04:25 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

We iron all the time. But my question is what’s with the industrial size panini maker? No wonder these characters are a bit stout.

17. That's Me Dec 12th 2017 at 05:34 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Before I got to the caption I actually thought she had a mangle installed in her kitchen, and wondered what the joke was going to be. “I got a commercial mangle because that’s more efficient than ironing things with the little hand-held iron” just isn’t that much of a joke.

On the other hand, now I kind of wonder if a Panini press and two cookie sheets would work. I used to iron my sheets (until my wife made fun of me for it) and that would certainly be a faster way to accomplish it.

18. guero Dec 12th 2017 at 06:34 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Like zbicyclist @6, our rule is “you want something ironed? You know where the iron is.” All of my shirts are 100% cotton, so yeah, I do a lot of ironing. I even iron some linen kitchen cloths and napkins as kind of a warm up before getting to the shirts. Mi esposa occasionally slips some of her cotton tops into the pile, like I wouldn’t notice, but I don’t mind.

19. mitch4 Dec 12th 2017 at 11:26 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

TM #17, thanks for mentioning the mangle. I knew the verb ‘mangle’ for years — decades! — without suspecting in the least that there was an older, and still extant, use for a literal object that had to (roughly) underlie the usage I was familiar with as something of a metaphor or derived idea.

Similarly with ‘a shambles’ which I all along thought was simply the direct term for a messy and likely dangerous situation; but turned out to have earlier (and still) meant a slaughterhouse.

20. Meryl A Dec 13th 2017 at 02:51 am 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I iron things when I sew them - I use a travel iron and sleeve board when I make doll clothes (for dolls I have made) to iron them.

I iron seams open when stitching.

And I iron reenacting clothing when I make it and some of it when it has been washed. Worst thing to iron is husband’s neckcloths. They are long and thin and when washed turn into a long, thinner crumble of fabric. I have one sitting in our studio waiting to be ironed. Last event (and when it was worn and washed) was mid October. Sometime on Christmas day I will probably get around to ironing it so he can wear it on the 26th (Boxing Day to us when we are in the 18th century) for the Candlelights night event our unit does at the local restoration village.

21. Meryl A Dec 13th 2017 at 02:57 am 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Then again, 2 irons can be used together to make a grilled cheese sandwich (per Rhoda Morgenstern) or probably a panini.

22. That's Me Dec 15th 2017 at 10:54 am 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Mitch4 - thanks for teaching me a new word! I never knew that shambles had an older meaning like that. Interesting that the definition says “archaic except in place names”.