WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18863) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Fear not, Adam…

Fear not, Adam…

on Dec 11th 2017

2017-12-11-photosyn-thesis.png

There is absolutely nothing wrong with “If I don’t know the answer, we can look it up.”

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18863) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (18863) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Fear not, Adam…”

1. Kevin Dec 11th 2017 at 08:36 pm 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

When ever my kids asked me who invented something I would tell them it was George

Who invented the escalator? It was George Escalator, that’s why we call it an escalator, its named after him.

Who invented the pencil? It was George Pencil, that’s why we call it an Pencil, its named after him.

It worked for a few years.

2. James Pollock Dec 11th 2017 at 08:40 pm 2

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Dave Barry had one of those, the Diesel Engine was named for its inventor, Rudolf Engine.

3. Mark in Boston Dec 11th 2017 at 08:46 pm 3

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m with CIDU Bill. When you look something up, it impresses your kid that you’re so smart you know how to look things up.

On the other hand, you can educate your kid the way Lucy educates Linus: https://youtu.be/quVs1oIWXYg

(Little Known Facts, from “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”)

4. Minor Annoyance Dec 11th 2017 at 09:48 pm 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

There’s an old joke where all a kid’s questions get answers like “Gee, that’s a stumper”, and “You got me there”. When the kid gets discouraged, the father says, “Keep asking questions. It’s the only way you’ll learn things.”

5. Cidu Bill Dec 11th 2017 at 09:52 pm 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Kevin, for us it was Harry.

Of course they knew I was kidding, and they tired of the gag well before I did.

(hell, I still do it)

But when they had serious questions (”Why is it called Rhode Island if it isn’t an island?”) in the pre-Internet days, we had some merry adventures tracking down the answers.

6. Arthur Dec 11th 2017 at 10:36 pm 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

One of my rules of thumb on whether to trust someone’s
    knowledge: If they never say, “I don’t know” or “I’ll have to
    look that up”, I’ll reserve my trust.

7. chakolate Dec 12th 2017 at 12:35 am 7

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

When I was a kid, I’d ask my dad stuff and he’d make stuff up. Then when I was a teen and knew, well, everything, he couldn’t understand why I didn’t believe anything he told me.

Have a care about lying to your kids - they’ll remember, even when you don’t.

8. Cidu Bill Dec 12th 2017 at 12:47 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

One thing I was determined to do was never lie to my kids about anything. I might tell them they’re not ready for some information they asked for, or in some cases tell them something was none of their business, but no lies, however trivial.

9. Kilby Dec 12th 2017 at 05:03 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ Bill (8) - I feel the same way, even going to the extreme of not being willing to dish up stories about a chimney-tunneling “jolly old elf”. I remember how “fooled” I felt when my brother and I jointly deduced the non-existence of Santa, and I never felt like I wanted to pass that feeling on to my kids.

10. chuckers Dec 12th 2017 at 09:42 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

That reminds me I want to rematch this again.

Susan: All right, I’m not stupid. You’re saying that humans need fantasies to make life bearable.

Death: No. Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.

Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?

Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.

Susan: So we can believe the big ones?

Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.

Susan: They’re not the same at all!

Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and THEN show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet… you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some… some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.

Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what’s the point?

Death: You need to believe in things that aren’t true. How else can they become?

11. Powers Dec 12th 2017 at 10:50 am 11

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

It seems there are two types of people in the world: Those who feel betrayed that their parents “lied to them” about Santa, and those who find the mystery and generosity of the myth endearing.

12. Vulcan with a Mullet Dec 12th 2017 at 12:09 pm 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Really though… who DOESN’T know what photosynthesis is?

13. Winter Wallaby Dec 12th 2017 at 01:38 pm 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Powers #11: True. But since you don’t know which kind of person your kid is going to turn out to be, it seems problematic to lie to your kids when you don’t know whether they’ll feel betrayed by your lie.

I’m not criticizing parents who tell their kids that Santa Claus is real - I get where they’re coming from. But I personally go with Bill/Kilby’s parenting decisions.

14. Joseph K. Dec 12th 2017 at 02:20 pm 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes. This should be filed under “stupid comics”

15. guero Dec 12th 2017 at 06:13 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

chuckers @10 - Watching Hogfather each year at Christmas is a family tradition in our household, and that excerpt is my all time favorite Terry Pratchett quote. Hell, it may be my all time favorite quote in all of literature.

16. Meryl A Dec 13th 2017 at 02:41 am 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

My dad knew everything and knew how to do everything.

Then I found out a few years ago that there can earthquakes and tornadoes in NY - did he think that there could not be same in NY, after all he even explained why - or was just reassuring a little girl (of 12) when she was frightened on the earthquake/tornado ride at Freedomland and the 1964-65 NY Worlds Fair (not sure which ride was at which).

17. Cidu Bill Dec 13th 2017 at 02:52 am 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Fun fact: When I lived in a building built on the former site of Freedomland, we actually DID have minor earthquake activity one morning.

But don’t tell Meryl.

18. Grawlix Dec 13th 2017 at 07:03 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I thought it was an old trope regarding men feeling inadequate for admitting to not knowing everything.

19. Meryl A Dec 20th 2017 at 02:22 am 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bill - since then there have been some earthquakes around here as you know - mostly centered elsewhere. I have been through 3 of them now. One I slept through while in Mexico in 1973, one while in Virginia a few years ago which I was awake for and argued with husband during it that there was one going on, and apparently recently there was another one in the area - I did not feel anything and might have slept through that one also.

Grawlix - My husband admits to not knowing a lot of things - he defers to me for what he does not know. My dad never claimed to know everything, it just seemed to me he did.