WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18748) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Comics I Don’t Understand » Saturday Morning Arlo (not Saturday evening Arlo, because I’m not in Australia)

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Saturday Morning Arlo (not Saturday evening Arlo, because I’m not in Australia)

on Dec 9th 2017

dec9-arlo-fox.JPGdec9-arlobert.JPG

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (18748) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Filed in

WordPress database error: [Table 'com0800608122374.wp_terms' doesn't exist]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (18748) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Uncategorized | 37 responses so far

37 Responses to “Saturday Morning Arlo (not Saturday evening Arlo, because I’m not in Australia)”

1. Wendy Dec 9th 2017 at 12:33 am 1

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m not sure what to say about these, except I guess wordpress is acting up again, since it is Friday night at 10:30 (Central time), not Saturday evening. And the post is dated tomorrow (12/9). I’m pretty sure Bill is in Eastern time, so it’s still Friday for him too.

2. Mona Dec 9th 2017 at 12:35 am 2

Yeah, but, LOL.

3. Mona Dec 9th 2017 at 12:50 am 3

Hi, Terry!

4. Cidu Bill Dec 9th 2017 at 12:58 am 4

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

No idea why I typed “evening.”

Well, I do know why: I seriously over-estimate my ability to multi-task.

5. Mona Dec 9th 2017 at 01:21 am 5

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Bill, I hadn’t noticed the Australian headline before. I have an Australian friend on Facebook and I know he is 19 hours ahead of me. And also a FB friend in Denmark, 9 hours ahead. But his sleep habits are sometimes like ours, which means sometimes he might be online just about any time.

6. Cidu Bill Dec 9th 2017 at 01:24 am 6

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Mona, the Australian reference was only added a few minutes ago.

7. Pete Dec 9th 2017 at 02:16 am 7

Best Dilbert strip ever.

8. James Pollock Dec 9th 2017 at 07:01 am 8

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“Best Dilbert strip ever.”

That would be the one where the company is looking for Unix programmers.

The punchline is “If the company nurse stops by, tell her I said never mind.”

9. Soup Dragon Dec 9th 2017 at 07:13 am 9

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

James: Was that a castration joke?

10. mitch4 Dec 9th 2017 at 09:31 am 10

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

On the current television show “The Good Place”, in an artificial post-life environment, when the inhabitants curse it comes out — for them as well as us — with substitutions. The most common is indeed “fork” (not “folk”). There are others, and sometimes becomes non-obvious enough for the figuring-out to be amusing in itself.

11. Powers Dec 9th 2017 at 09:56 am 11

Holy forking shirtballs!

12. padraig Dec 9th 2017 at 10:34 am 12

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Some signs how old the Dilbert strip is:
    * The artwork is crude because Scott was still actually drawing it all by himself
    * Use of the term “hi-tech”
    * The e-mail address in the margin goes to @aol.com

13. Terrence Feenstra Dec 9th 2017 at 10:44 am 13

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Hey, Mona! Nice to hear from you. How are the holidays working for you? For me, so far, fairly easy-peasy. I’m keeping a low profile and doing whatever I’m told - without grumbling or argument.

14. Terrence Feenstra Dec 9th 2017 at 10:45 am 14

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Well played Powers. Well played.

15. joel hanes Dec 9th 2017 at 04:17 pm 15

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Close. The best Dilbert strip is the one _after_ they hire the Unix guys, and Wally encounters a bald, fat, bearded guy with long hair and suspenders.
    W: “Hey, you’re one of those arrogant Unix guys, aren’t you?”
    UG: “Here’s a nickel, kid. Buy yourself a better computer”

The descendants of Unix are still in nearly-universal use by chip engineers and the developers of serious software, and for good reason. Of all the software designed in the early seventies, this particular brilliant, clean design has held up the best.

16. Mona Dec 9th 2017 at 04:35 pm 16

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Hi Terry! We had small Thanksgiving at our house, only eighteen, all adults. Well, some of them are niece’s and nephew’s kids, but they are all adults now. Glad you’re having good holidays and behaving yourself.
    On topic….Many years ago Scarface was on “regular” TV, meaning it had to be censored. A lot of “monkey-fooler”s and “fool you!”s to the point of hilarity. Nothing like really angry people yelling “fool you!” “no, fool you!” at each other. And Gina asking Tony if he wants to fool her.

17. B.A. Dec 9th 2017 at 05:23 pm 17

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Saw a movie on tv once in which somebody called somebody an a******, which the network changed to “idiot,” but he was illustrating the insult by dropping his pants and showing the guy his… idiot.

18. furrykef Dec 9th 2017 at 05:51 pm 18

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I’m not sure what’s with this Foxtrot strip. It strains my credulity that Jason has never heard the F word before. He’s also way too smart to think that folk music consists of saying the word “folk” a lot.

It amuses me how some people describe the system that gave rise to the phrase “worse is better” as “clean”.

19. Mona Dec 9th 2017 at 06:15 pm 19

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

I think Jason is pretending to be innocent and is getting his big brother in trouble on purpose.

20. Cidu Bill Dec 9th 2017 at 06:17 pm 20

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Furrykef, even the most precociously brilliant comic strip children can be dumber than a rock when it suits the particular day’s gag.

I’m not sure I’ve seen this in Barney & Clyde’s Cynthia yet, but I think she’d be the only exception.

21. B.A. Dec 9th 2017 at 06:20 pm 21

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Mona, if I suddenly pretended to have lost 30 or 40 IQ points. I think my mother would have been suspicious.

22. B.A. Dec 9th 2017 at 06:24 pm 22

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

CiduBill, I agree about comic strip kids. I really don’t get why, when there are so many kids in the strip, Mallett sometimes portrays Caulfield as too stupid to breathe.

23. James Pollock Dec 9th 2017 at 08:17 pm 23

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“even the most precociously brilliant comic strip children can be dumber than a rock when it suits the particular day’s gag.”

Well, even the most brilliant real-life adult is capable of amazingly stupid behavior from time to time.

24. Greybeard Dec 9th 2017 at 09:14 pm 24

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@joel hanes: Not to be confused with software designed in the 60s, which has held up even better…

25. Mark in Boston Dec 9th 2017 at 09:23 pm 25

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

There is a folk music band named The Mother Folkers. Slogan: The most carefully pronounced group in show business.

26. Bob in Nashville Dec 9th 2017 at 10:14 pm 26

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

The Dilbert reminds me of a question I’ve been thinking of as a legitimate astronomy question with which a high school student could annoy their science teacher: Is Uranus a gas giant?

27. Cidu Bill Dec 9th 2017 at 11:49 pm 27

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

James (23), there’s a difference between stupid behavior and being stupid.

28. James Pollock Dec 10th 2017 at 12:10 am 28

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“there’s a difference between stupid behavior and being stupid.”

Yes, that was my point. Acting in a stupid manner can be a temporary phenomenon, affecting even the smartest of people. Or it can be a baseline which is rarely, if ever, departed from.

29. Seth Dec 10th 2017 at 12:34 am 29

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, like Mona/19 said, Jason is play-acting naivete - the last panel make is very clear that he’s pretending - “… he told me not to tell you”.

30. furrykef Dec 10th 2017 at 01:05 am 30

31. Mona Dec 10th 2017 at 01:17 am 31

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

“That Jason could be pretending did cross my mind, but it still didn’t make sense to me because he didn’t really seem to have much of a motive for it.”
    I don’t follow the strip, but Peter is Jason’s big brother. Seems like motive to me.

32. Seth Dec 10th 2017 at 01:25 am 32

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Motive for pretending, or motive for getting his brother in trouble? One of the running jokes of the strip is the latter, tattling on his brother. The former, pretending to faux-naivete, is Jason’s idea of being funny (part of his character).

33. Treesong Dec 10th 2017 at 02:21 am 33

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

mitch4@10, when I think of swear filters I immediately think of theSkin Horse webcomic, in which a nerd’s brain was schlorped out and installed in a cyborg helicopter, with a swear filter added. In yesterday’s strip (http://skin-horse.com/comic/windings-for/), he called his boss, an uplifted husky, a…well, I don’t know quite what he meant to call her, but it came out ‘barking cupcake’.

34. Brian in STL Dec 10th 2017 at 03:09 am 34

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

Yes, Jason likes to mess with his siblings. A lot.

35. Kilby Dec 10th 2017 at 03:59 am 35

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@ padraig (12) - Does the “©1994″ between the 2nd & 3rd panels count as a clue? ;-)

36. padraig Dec 10th 2017 at 12:46 pm 36

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

@Kilby (35) - No, that would be an “indicator”, not a “clue.”

Smartypants.

37. Meryl A Dec 13th 2017 at 03:26 am 37

SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE ID = '1' LIMIT 1

padraig - it amazes me how many people still have aol email addresses. Last month I had email bouncing back from a member of my embroidery chapter who has an aol address and went to make sure - as I had a thought in the back of my head that something just happened with aol - that the email still existed. I guess she got whatever fixed, as her newsletter went through this month.