I guess we should give him a pass if he’s that sick, but…

Cidu Bill on Dec 4th 2017

cold.JPG

Doesn’t he mean “I’m not young enough or old enough…”?

Filed in Adam Huber, Bill Bickel, Bug Martini, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “I guess we should give him a pass if he’s that sick, but…”

1. Kamino Neko Dec 4th 2017 at 12:30 pm 1

Yes. He’s also confused the cold with the flu.

2. Ian D Osmond Dec 4th 2017 at 12:49 pm 2

Turns out that a hobby webcartoonist with a cold, full-time job, and a one-month-old neither grammars nor medicals well.

3. Brian in STL Dec 4th 2017 at 01:33 pm 3

It can be annoying when you’re really sick in bed but you need to take a pss.

4. larK Dec 4th 2017 at 01:55 pm 4

The point of a virus is almost never to kill you, unless by killing you it somehow manages to spread better than with you alive. The point of a virus is to reproduce, and keep on reproducing. Yeah, if it were smart, it might figure out that it would probably do better if it didn’t actively annoy you, but hey, mosquitos haven’t figured that out either and they’re way more advanced than a virus, but hey, what do they care anyway, as long as they reproduce?

5. Kilby Dec 4th 2017 at 11:49 pm 5

@ larK (4) - “probably do better if it didn’t actively annoy you

The odd thing is that there are all sorts of bacteria that have positive side-effects, such as aiding digestion, or making yogurt, cheese, etc. The same can be said for some types of mold. In contrast, I cannot think of a single (naturally occurring*) virus that has any sort of useful feature. Perhaps I’m missing something obvious, but still, the comparison is striking.

P.S. (*) - Viruses that just happen to act as inoculators against other viruses (cowpox/smallpix) do not count, nor do viruses used as injectors for genetic engineering purposes.

6. Kjbrasda Dec 5th 2017 at 12:11 am 6

@kilby Some viruses naturally kill bacteria. Naturally occuring bacteriophages are how they figured out we can engineer bacteriophages to target the bacteria we want to eliminate.

7. Arthur Dec 5th 2017 at 12:20 am 7

Some scientists believe that the cell nucleus evolved from a
    symbiotic virus.

8. Cidu Bill Dec 5th 2017 at 01:13 am 8

I imagine the last thing anybody wants when they’re sick is to have somebody lecture them on the difference between a cold and the flu a viruses (and influenza, which is apparently something entirely different)

9. Carl Dec 5th 2017 at 01:44 am 9

“Flu” is just an abbreviation of “influenza,” Bill, unless you mean the original Italian word meaning “influence.”

10. Cidu Bill Dec 5th 2017 at 03:29 am 10

Oh, I don’t know… last year I mentioned somebody having the flu, and a friend launched into an lecture about how what we call “flu” was entirely different from “influenza.” I just figured she knew something I didn’t know, and I didn’t care anyway because I wasn’t the one who was sick.

11. Kilby Dec 5th 2017 at 07:30 am 11

P.S. @5 - I think one major difference in the potential utility of viruses is that bacteria and molds can affect (meaning “be used on”) any form of biological material (milk, grains, wood, or even intestinal waste), whereas most (if not all) viruses work only on living, functional tissue. This drastically reduces the scope of potential applications for any virus.

12. Kamino Neko Dec 5th 2017 at 09:07 am 12

Bill, I think your friend has just misapprehended the point of correcting people about ’stomach flu’. Flu is influenza, but ’stomach flu’ is a selection of symptoms (some of which overlap with the flu) which can be caused by any number of different microorganisms.

13. Vulcan with a Mullet Dec 5th 2017 at 11:46 am 13

Just a pedantic addendum… Viruses do have some potential and actual potential uses in medicine. They have already been used to transmit genes into cells for gene therapy.

On a different note, “pedantic addendum” sounds like some kind of viral infection of an organ…

14. Ian D Osmond Dec 5th 2017 at 12:04 pm 14

The reason we can’t think of helpful viruses is that it hasn’t been a focus of study yet, not necessarily that there aren’t any. It might be that we are all teeming with viruses which are absolutely essential to health, but we haven’t spent any time looking for them. I’m pretty sure the idea of beneficial bacteria wasn’t something most people were aware of when I was a kid — probably there were researchers who knew, and maybe it was being taught in medical school, but, for the most part, we all thought “bacteria” = “germs” = “pathogens”.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if we discover that our bodies rely on some viruses as part of the system. I’d be more surprised if we discovered that they DON’T.

15. Kilby Dec 8th 2017 at 02:22 am 15

Well, to be really pedantic, I had already excluded the “transmission” use @13 in my comment @5.

The fact remains that there are both industrial-scale applications for bacteria (producing tons of material per batch), as well as DIY applications that are safe enough for any kitchen (like yogurt). Yes, we have identified a few scientific things that viruses can do for humanity, but most of them require a biological clean room to apply them.

16. James Pollock Dec 8th 2017 at 07:26 am 16

Under a very expansive definition of “useful”, some viruses are “useful” as weapons of war.