Bubble

Cidu Bill on Dec 4th 2017

dec04-lio.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Lio, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Bubble”

1. Roger Dec 4th 2017 at 12:45 am 1

I suggest just posting from this comic strip when you DO understand it. It would be easier.

2. fleabane Dec 4th 2017 at 03:44 am 2

It’s the old twist in the hose/water comes out twisted gag. It’s well over 50 years old. Mad’s Sergio Aragones did it. Frank and Ernest did it. I never quite got it myself. I mean it’s mildly whimsical but it’s not funny or that clever a reinterpretation of physics.

3. fleabane Dec 4th 2017 at 03:56 am 3

Oh, wait. There *isn’t* a twist in the bubble pipe. It came out twisted because…. he blew it that way?? Okay sometimes when you blow bubbles and a wind or draft (sometimes cause by weird aerodynamics) as the bubble comes out it looks to it is oblong and bent up (as in the second panel). So I guess the joke is what if it continued and remained?

4. Kilby Dec 4th 2017 at 05:59 am 4

@ fleabane (2) - Strange shapes coming out of a bubble pipe (or ring) are nothing new, either. Watterson did a number of them, such as this one (or the “deafening explosion” on the previous day). I also remember a gag in which the bubble comes out as a cube, but I’m not sure whether that was in “Calvin & Hobbes”, or some other strip.

5. Ignatz Dec 4th 2017 at 09:09 am 5

When was this published? Because of the butterfly, I’m wondering if it was a “first day of spring” gag.

6. Powers Dec 4th 2017 at 09:14 am 6

Rerun Van Pelt had the uncanny ability to blow balloons into squares, at least according to one TV special.

7. Kilby Dec 4th 2017 at 10:07 am 7

@ Ignatz (5) - It’s small and easy to miss, but the first panel has 5-11 in the upper right corner, meaning 11-May-2017. Not the first day, but definitely springtime.

8. mitch4 Dec 4th 2017 at 11:23 am 8

Roger’s advice (at #1) would maybe also apply to why we never submit “Frog Applause”, which is IMHO much superior, but also almost always opaque.

9. Ted from Ft. Laud Dec 4th 2017 at 03:32 pm 9

I got the impression of one of those long skinny balloons that sometimes corkscrew as you blow them up, but couldn’t quite get from there to bubbles.

10. Kilby Dec 4th 2017 at 11:58 pm 10

P.S. @7 - That isn’t a butterfly @5, it’s Tatulli’s signature.

11. Olivier Dec 5th 2017 at 07:34 am 11