Chanukah Cards!

Cidu Bill on Dec 2nd 2017

Regardless of how you spell Chanukah — or even if you’re barely aware the holiday exists — CIDU readers are once again invited to request the limited-edition 2017 Bickel Family Chanukah card (created by the Assistant Art Director of Atlantic Magazine, and  by gizmodo.com’s newest illustrator.

Just send your mailing address as soon as possible to bickelchanukah
at
gmx.com

I delete all e-mails after the envelopes are addressed, which means a) I won’t be selling your address to a Florida company that markets time shares in alligator-infested swamps; and b) “Send my card to the same place as last year” won’t be helpful.

Edited to add: This offer is valid anyplace on Planet Earth.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Chanukah | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Chanukah Cards!”

1. B.A. Nov 24th 2017 at 06:47 pm 1

I hope you’re sending one to the Rosenthals.

2. Andréa Nov 24th 2017 at 08:50 pm 2

I’ve lived in Florida now for almost three years - the only two alligators I’ve seen were ‘tame’ ones that came out at certain times for feeding. AND I live surrounded by a golf course AND we had a hurricane and flooding. Am very disappointed to not have seen more in this ‘alligator-infested swamp’ state.

3. Singapore Bill Nov 24th 2017 at 11:49 pm 3

You did not mention if the offer is good globally or just for the USA. As I have already submitted my address, I will have to be grandfathered in if there is a subsequent announcement of geographic restrictions.

4. Kilby Nov 25th 2017 at 04:26 am 4

I still have the first card: will the one from this year a new design, or the same kind as last year?

5. Findus Nov 25th 2017 at 04:29 am 5

Nice to have an update on your son’s (Zach?) career.

6. Ted from Ft. Laud Nov 25th 2017 at 05:58 am 6

Andréa - I am a south Florida native, and I assume that nowadays effectively all bodies of fresh water (especially those connected by canals to anything else) possibly contain gators (unlike when I was a kid). However, even if they are there, you likely won’t see them - they tend to be pretty retiring and mostly fear/avoid people. But it isn’t that uncommon to see them sunning around water on south Florida golf courses (or in residential communities), especially ones that are towards the Everglades (out west on the east coast or vice versa). They are less common as you get towards the coasts themselves, as they don’t particularly like salt water (unlike the crocodiles). However, I would particularly avoid “tame” gators and wouldn’t feed them - those have (mostly) lost their fear of people, and are the most likely to chomp on a pet (or child, or if you get too close and really bother them, you). Many “tame” ones end up getting declared nuisances and are trapped - except in rare cases, trapped gators are no longer relocated, but become gator meat and leather, so not good for them either…

7. Andréa Nov 25th 2017 at 10:01 am 7

I only call them ‘tame’ because they were under the deck of a restaurant on Lake Tarpon, right by the ‘DO NOT FEED THE ALLIGATORS’ sign . . . I suspect that they were being fed anyway. It’s a pity this lovely lake is so unusable except for boating. We’d looked at houses on the lake, then realized what’s the point; you can’t go in it anyway and there’s the likelihood alligators would come visit, especially with several small dogs in residence.

8. Cidu Bill Nov 25th 2017 at 11:09 am 8

It’s a new card, and I have no idea what it’ll look like. I’m pretty sure Zak comes up with the design and Chelsea draws it, but that’s their business.

9. Mona Nov 25th 2017 at 05:08 pm 9

Bill, thanks for updating the tag line, or I might have missed this. Been so busy getting ready for and now cleaning up after the Pilgrims, the Indians and the Rosenthals* that I’ve fallen behind on my social media.
    I appreciated the beautiful card last year and of course have it with my keepsakes.

*After all this hard work, I think we might go out to “our” local Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight.

10. Lola Dec 11th 2017 at 05:11 pm 10

Mine arrived today. Philadelphia area. Thank you!

11. Cidu Bill Dec 11th 2017 at 05:12 pm 11

Thanks for letting me know. It would be an understatement to say that the local post office has had reliability issues lately.

12. Lola Dec 11th 2017 at 07:26 pm 12

They failed to cancel the forever stamp.

13. Olivier Dec 12th 2017 at 11:43 am 13

Otherwise, it would not be a “forever” stamp ;)

14. larK Dec 12th 2017 at 09:31 pm 14

Mine arrived today! ~27 miles….