BB&B

Cidu Bill on Dec 2nd 2017

bb-and-b.JPG

Actually, Mr. Mallett is understating the situation: Bed, Bath and Beyond (you’re not fooling anybody, dude) sends out coupons every two or three weeks that remain good for about two months: in other words, there’s almost always an overlap.

Which the company has acknowledged to be a problem, since regular customers hardly ever make purchases that aren’t discounted (because even if by some fluke the customer doesn’t have a valid coupon, he’ll hold off on a purchase knowing he will have one momentarily)

Filed in Bed Bath and Beyond, Bill Bickel, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “BB&B”

1. Ted from Ft. Laud Dec 2nd 2017 at 05:31 pm 1

I have been told by a friend who uses BB&B coupons regularly that it goes even beyond that - that they ignore the expiration dates and will always take any BB&B coupons (the regular 20% off ones, I don’t know about special ones) regardless of how old they are.

2. fleabane Dec 2nd 2017 at 07:21 pm 2

“Which the company has acknowledged to be a problem, since regular customers hardly ever make purchases that aren’t discounted” How exactly is that a problem? They figure everyone is going to buy items at 80% their list price and they base their projections on that.

3. JHGRedekop Dec 2nd 2017 at 08:02 pm 3

If their markup is 10%, having everything bought at a 20% discount is always a problem, even if you account for it in your projections.

4. Ted from Ft. Laud Dec 2nd 2017 at 08:24 pm 4

The discount coupons are (in theory) limited to a single item and one coupon per visit, so even if the coupon substantially cuts their margin on the one item, they can hope (and I believe the hope is usually fulfilled) that the customer will buy other items without coupons.

5. billybob Dec 2nd 2017 at 10:02 pm 5

If they flood the country with 20% discount coupons, their markup isn’t 10%.

6. Arthur Dec 3rd 2017 at 01:41 am 6

I recently mentioned to someone that if you can find something
    other than at BB&B, it’ll be cheaper in that other place.

7. Brian in STL Dec 3rd 2017 at 01:49 am 7

A retail store with 10% margins would be in trouble anyway. From watching all those episodes of “The Profit” they’d likely be closer to 40-50% margins.

8. James Pollock Dec 3rd 2017 at 05:50 am 8

“A retail store with 10% margins would be in trouble anyway.”

Not necessarily, it depends on a lot of factors.
    Grocery stores run on very lean margins… well below 10% overall, though some items are higher.

A srore that’s trying to establish market share might run at a net negative margin when it opens.

A srore that’s financially sound may be forced into slim margins if it’s competing in a market segment with a store that’s becoming desperate.

etc.

9. Lieana Holman Dec 3rd 2017 at 05:52 am 9

Well customers wouldn’t have to wait to make that other purchase, our BB&B does except expired coupon’s as well as uses one coupon PER item, in one transaction. So if u have 5 items u can use 5 20% coupons. And they also have price matching so if u see something somewhere else cheaper we’ll match em., One things for sure they DO NEED A UNION.

10. chuckers Dec 3rd 2017 at 08:32 am 10

The Lego Batman Movie has a line in the early part of it where ‘Puter tells Batman that he has an expired coupon for BB&B but that (s)he has heard that some stores will still take them even after the expiry date.

We stopped bothering to keep BB&B coupons because, as has been noted, they tend to be a bit more expensive even with the 20% discount on the single item.

The other annoying one is the wad of coupons you get from Michaels. There are usually a fairly decent discount. However, they are only valid on ‘regular priced’ items. The problem is that most of the stuff in Michaels tends to be already listed at a discount or on clearance so the coupons are pretty much unusable to begin with.

11. larK Dec 3rd 2017 at 11:23 am 11

BB&B bought Harmon Discount, so the ubiquitous coupons are accepted at stand-alone Harmon Discount stores, and they started putting Harmon Discounts in BB&Bs as their drugstore section. I’m assuming over the years they’ve been slowly ratcheting up the prices at the Harmon division, but they can’t do it all at once, or they lose the raison d’être of buying a discount drugstore chain. So any drugstore purchase we need to do we do at Harmon Discount (including within a BB&B), armed with the appropriate coupon (which is basically $5 off $15 or 20% off a single item — so you have a range of 20%-33% off, depending on how you arrange things). Sometimes the clerks claim the coupon won’t work, and you have to insist to them to just try it, scan it and see, and invariably it works.

12. Kevin Dec 3rd 2017 at 11:41 am 12

There is a difference between markup and margin. Markup is the amount that the retailer charges over the original price of an item. Margin is the profit the retailer makes on the sale of the item. The difference being the other costs of carrying and selling the item. A retailer may markup an item by 50% (event 70% for furniture) but the margin on the item may only be 10%. Supposedly BB&B factors in the coupons when calculating their markups to keep their margins in a targeted range.

13. Shrug Dec 3rd 2017 at 02:19 pm 13

I can’t recall ever getting a Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon, though if I did I would have tossed it (we already have three beds and a couple of baths, and housing a Beyond would be beyond us).

The “perpetual overlapping coupons” thing that I notice (at least locally) is Burger King — I won’t claim I eat there all that often, but when I do, it may have been more than ten years since I didn’t have a coupon of some sort (and a couple dozen get thrown away regularly as they expire unused).

14. chuckers Dec 4th 2017 at 09:55 am 14

The problems I have with the Burger King coupons is that they are almost always BOGO for Whoppers or Chicken sandwiches. The wee one and I are the only one’s that like BK in the house but we don’t often agree on what it is we should be ordering. And eating 2 by myself, while possible, is probably not recommended.

15. Mark in Boston Dec 4th 2017 at 11:58 pm 15

I always think of Buzz Lightyear: “To Bed Bath and Beyond!”

16. Meryl A Dec 5th 2017 at 03:59 am 16

I currently have 15 BB& B coupons all good until 1/1/18 - and have started tossing the new ones with that date out as we only shop there is there is something we really need and can’t find elsewhere.

We get them in the mail - at home and at our PO box. We get the newspaper. I signed up once online because we needed something there and I wanted a coupon - I think I received one every other day for the last 2 weeks. I just saw one someplace that made me think even more - are they desperate and going out of business.

They do have a nice ladies room at the one nearest us - and it is along the way home from NYC with one unused parking area near the door, which makes it convenient for when one cannot drive another 7 minutes to get home without “a stop”.