Off the Butt

Cidu Bill on Dec 1st 2017

dec01-offthebutt.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Off the Butt”

1. fuzzmaster Dec 1st 2017 at 12:16 am 1

I presume the spooky element is that the dog in the window can no longer recognize any of his pals because there’s nothing to sniff. But why are there six panels?

2. Cidu Bill Dec 1st 2017 at 12:36 am 2

No clue, fuzzmasrer — but it’s fixed now.

3. Stan Dec 1st 2017 at 01:08 am 3

Wasn’t there a Twilight Zone episode where everyone had no face bar the central character? Same idea, but for dogs. This might need a serious geezer tag though.

4. Usual John Dec 1st 2017 at 01:18 am 4

Is there a Twilight Zone episode where everyone was faceless or headless?

5. Ron Dec 1st 2017 at 01:31 am 5

I got this immediately, and it’s the same as fuzzmaster.
    Two minutes later, though, I thought to myself, “But how do they excrete?”

6. Cidu Bill Dec 1st 2017 at 01:39 am 6

Ron, that’s what my kids used to wonder about Catdog.

7. fleabane Dec 1st 2017 at 02:38 am 7

if there isn’t specific episode, it’s certainly generic enough to be twilight zonish. If you had to describe the twilight zone formula it’d be, a person finds himself in surreal alternate reality where any essential but vital element is changed often an ironic way. So a world were the dogs have no butts seems like a “Twilight Zone Episode for Dogs”.

I can’t find any one where no-one had a face (It’s impossible to search Twilight Zone and face and not get Eye of the Beholder of course.)

8. Stan Dec 1st 2017 at 02:49 am 8

“Is there a Twilight Zone episode where everyone was faceless or headless?”

It’s been bugging me so I had a look around the internet, but it appears not…at least I couldn’t find it. I think maybe I’m conflating two things: Twilight Zone’s ‘Eye of the Beholder’ and the poem Prince Kano.

Still, I would have put money down that I’d seen faceless beings on the Twilight Zone once. Oh well.

9. Stan Dec 1st 2017 at 03:03 am 9

Got it! Got it! It wasn’t from the TV show, it was from the 80s movie. A girl in one of the segments had a face, but no mouth. That’s what I was thinking of. Sorry everyone.

It could be the reference that’s being made. In fuzzmaster’s vein, dogs ‘communicate’ with each other through smell and humans communicate through their mouth.

I doubt it though.

Sorry.

10. Andréa Dec 1st 2017 at 10:04 am 10

and then there’s Harrison Eliison’s book title, “I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream”, which always made me feel claustrophobic.

11. larK Dec 1st 2017 at 10:21 am 11

She had no mouth, but did she need to scream?

12. larK Dec 1st 2017 at 11:02 am 12

Oops — I wrote my comment before Andréa’s comment showed, alluding to the same title and Stan’s comment, but coming after her more explicit reference, now just looks stupid…

13. Andréa Dec 1st 2017 at 11:14 am 13

We all know the vagaries of the internet and timing, so I never considering any comment to ‘look stupid’ ‘-) . . . it just shows that we are an erudite group of folks, is all.

14. Brian in STL Dec 1st 2017 at 12:59 pm 14

“Got it! Got it! It wasn’t from the TV show, it was from the 80s movie. A girl in one of the segments had a face, but no mouth. ”

Yeah, that’s from the “It’s a Good Life” segment.

15. Cidu Bill Dec 1st 2017 at 02:19 pm 15

As if to illustrate Andréa’s point, her comment got caught up in Moderation for several hours.

16. Andréa Dec 1st 2017 at 04:09 pm 16

“I Have No Internet And I Must Rant” would be the 21st century version . . .

17. billybob Dec 2nd 2017 at 07:09 am 17

I’d say the best model for this is Bradbury’s “A Sound of Thunder” with its “butterfly effect, or the parody of this in The Simpsons’ “Time and Punishment.” But if you’re not understanding, the joke is that a human would probably be disturbed seeing everyone had no legs and walked on their hands; but a dog would ignore missing legs, missing tails, missing naughty bits, and yelp at the lack of butts.

18. pepperjackcandy Dec 2nd 2017 at 08:13 pm 18

There is an episode of the 1980s New Twilight Zone episode that had faceless people. It was called “A Matter of Minutes” and was based on the Theodore Sturgeon story, “Yesterday Was Thursday.”

A couple wakes up to find a bunch of faceless blue workmen moving things into their house (including spraying dust on things). It turns out that the universe is built, minute by minute, by these people and the couple has somehow ended up in 11:30 am.

I love that episode. I don’t know about the original story, but one of the things they say in that ep is that when you look for something where it should be and can’t find it, but then go back later and there it is, that’s because the workers forgot to put it in its proper place for that minute.

19. Meryl A Dec 6th 2017 at 01:06 am 19

Andrea (13) - Erudite is how I always describe this group’s members.

20. Andréa Dec 6th 2017 at 11:46 am 20

. . . and I’ll betcha not ONE member had to look up the definition!