Cidu Bill on Nov 25th 2017

fajitas.JPG

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, Thanksgiving, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Comic I Didn’t Understand Because It Ran Two Days After Thanksgiving So Why SHOULDN’T They Be Eating Fajitas?”

1. James Schend Nov 25th 2017 at 02:04 pm 1

I have a guess, but I’m not sure.

In the first three panels, they’re sitting at their own home about to eat Thanksgivings leftovers for the third day in a row (you can see turkey slices in the tray in the first panel). They give their dumb little toast, and realize they’re completely sick of leftovers.

In panel four, they’ve left their house and have gone to a Mexican restaurant instead.

The problem is there’s no background and the table and glasses look exactly the same. But that’s my guess.

2. Cidu Bill Nov 25th 2017 at 02:12 pm 2

They’re also dressed the same.

And, of course, this is only Saturday.

3. Dyfsunctional Nov 25th 2017 at 02:36 pm 3

Apropos of nothing, I, for one, am kind of done with Latin-American characters who say things like “Sí, señora.” Nobody talks like that.

4. Mark M Nov 25th 2017 at 03:07 pm 4

I think it’s just a misdirection. In the first 3 panels it appears that they are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner. Turns out they are in a Mexican restaurant. For a lot of people, it’s a 4 day weekend. So the fact that it’s 2 days after is no big deal.

5. Ted from Ft. Laud Nov 25th 2017 at 04:12 pm 5

I know people who have done Thanksgiving at a random restaurant when they had no family (or other possible attendees) in town - it’s a little silly to do full Thanksgiving extraveganza for 2

6. Ted from Ft. Laud Nov 25th 2017 at 04:15 pm 6

(oops) … a full Thanksgiving extravaganza for 2, especially if you aren’t a fan of turkey and such. So I’m picturing this as actually happening on Thanksgiving, with the misdirection that Mark M mentions as being not so much implying that it is Thanksgiving when it’s not, but implying it is at home when it’s not.

7. Mona Nov 25th 2017 at 05:01 pm 7

“Nobody talks like that.”
    At “our” local Mexican restaurant we are greeted with “¿Hola como estas?”. They say “sí”, but I don’t think I’ve ever been called “señora”. When we order, our regular waiter will repeat what we have ordered and say “muy bien”. When we leave we often hear “adiós mis amigos” and may reply with “buenas noches”, “hasta la vista” or “hasta mañana”.
    Just tossing in mis dos centavos.

8. Dennis Ewing Nov 25th 2017 at 06:01 pm 8

Same in our city. Not all do that, but there are a few that do. Of course this is San Antonio and it is a bit more normal for the owner to speak very little English.

9. Susan T-O Nov 25th 2017 at 08:52 pm 9

@Ted from Ft. Laud, in my family it seems to go the opposite way. My nephew & his extended family (which includes 5 uncles on his father’s side & their spouses, just for a start on the headcount) often will go to a restaurant so that they don’t have to do an extravaganza for 20-25 people. On the other hand I find it easy to do a scaled down version of the meal by roasting a chicken instead of a turkey, one cup of cranberries instead of the whole bag to make cranberry sauce, and instant potatoes make it easy-peasey to make mashed for two.

Back to the cartoon, I interpreted it as they’ve been eating (relatively bland) turkey & mashed potatoes for three days now, and couldn’t stand facing it again and thus went out for a zesty Mexican dinner instead.

10. Mark in Boston Nov 25th 2017 at 09:48 pm 10

For some reason, they are not having Thanksgiving dinner with Gene and Mary Lou and Meg and Gus. Who knows why not, as they are not that far away, but maybe Gene and Mary Lou and Meg and Gus are too busy feeding customers to have their own dinner.

With only themselves to cook for, they went out for Thanksgiving dinner. Perhaps they will go down to visit the kids next weekend for turkey. So why bother to have turkey now?

11. Cidu Bill Nov 25th 2017 at 11:09 pm 11

This was Saturday’s strip, so there’s no reason to assume — based on this strip; I don’t remember Thursday’s strip — that they didn’t have Thanksgiving with the rest of the Day crew.

12. furrykef Nov 25th 2017 at 11:33 pm 12

Panel 3 clearly takes place in the restaurant. The table, glasses, and whatnot look exactly the same as in panel 4.

13. Greenaum Nov 26th 2017 at 12:31 am 13

I think I’ve figured it out!

The joke is, we expect them to be at home celebrating Thanksgiving. But really they’d snuck off to a restaurant all along, to avoid a thanksgiving at home, because they have annoying relatives.

So it’s Thanksgiving, and they’re thankful that they snuck away to the restaurant. The whole strip is set there.

Not the most obvious joke.

14. Singapore Bill Nov 26th 2017 at 12:31 am 14

They shouldn’t be eating fajitas coz fajitas is Meksikkan and Meksikkans ain’t Murricans, as we have all learned over the last years. However, Mr. Johnson has taken the bold political stand that Meksikkans, while furrin and diffrent, have a place in Murrica, although it is as servants to real Murricans on a holiday. It is a bold political commentary.

15. fleabane Nov 26th 2017 at 02:53 am 15

I think it’s pretty clear that the joke is misdirection. We think they are toasting thanksgiving itself or the satisfaction of being in the aftermath but the surprise is the are in a restaurant and are toasting the avoidance of the aftermath. But Bill has a point. That simply isn’t funny or even that surprising. Now if it where Thankskgiving day itself…

16. Olivier Nov 27th 2017 at 05:44 am 16

Susan T-O’s is also my interpretation.

17. Meryl A Nov 28th 2017 at 04:03 am 17

We used to make the extravaganza for our two families - for 25 years. It was easier than deciding who to eat with as it was the only holiday both sides wanted us for - Christmas/Easter his family, Chanukah/Passover/High Holy Days - mine. We stopped only because we can’t deal with people in the house since the bed bugs.

Since then some years we went to Old Country Buffet until they closed and I cooked other years. Until Sunday night before Thanksgiving this year, we did not know if I was cooking or we were going to an Asian buffet - it was featuring turkey. So we are now working on the leftovers of a 14 lb turkey for two - and despite following carefully one set of the directions on the bird and it testing at 180F on our thermometer and the popper popped - apprarently we should have followed the other directions on the bird and the bottom was mostly rawish.

I did mange to bang my head in the same place (on my head) I banged it last month in the RV, this time on the corner of the dining room table and after crying a bit and a lecture from husband on being careful when I bend down - I took 2 steps back and, yes, banged it again on the same corner, just closer to the edge.

Oddly dinner for 12 was easier as it was a set menu, I did the shopping alone the first and second week of November - not 2 days before Thanksgiving, I did the cooking 90% alone and, most important, we ordered a cook turkey for hot pickup on Thanksgiving and my sister picked it up on her way here.

18. Meryl A Dec 6th 2017 at 02:44 am 18

Looking at it again as I went past checking for followup posts -

Maybe they decided that it was too much trouble to make dinner for two and went out for dinner on Thanksgiving to a Mexican (or other Hispanic) restaurant, sort of like my family going to the kosher deli restaurant or in “Christmas Story” the family ending up after the accident at a Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner.

After we stopped having the families in, we went to OCB because it is a lot of trouble for 2 people and a lot of leftovers - we have eaten leftovers twice and frozen the rest for another few dinners.

19. Brian in STL Dec 6th 2017 at 12:28 pm 19

“Looking at it again as I went past checking for followup posts”

So I noticed.