Comics That Made the Turkey Laugh Out Loud in 2017

Cidu Bill on Nov 19th 2017

e-simms-campbell-ballet.PNG

mall.gif

pilgrims.PNG

rescue.PNG

rockwell.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Mark Parisi, New Yorker, Norman Rockwell, Off the Mark, Pilgrims, Thanksgiving, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Comics That Made the Turkey Laugh Out Loud in 2017”

1. B.A. Nov 19th 2017 at 12:59 am 1

Speaking of going commando…

2. Carl Nov 19th 2017 at 07:52 am 2

When my over-analytic brain defeats a joke dept..: I instantly thought, “No, the Pilgrims were far too poor to afford underclothing like that. The cartoonist is conflating the aristocracy of a slightly later period in France with English-descended refugees.”

I”m not saying that’s appropriate, I”m saying that it takes an actual effort for me to turn off the error-checker in my brain and that early in the morning, I may not do it when appropriate.

3. Brian in STL Nov 19th 2017 at 06:10 pm 3

The rescue turkey made me laugh.

4. Rasheed Nov 19th 2017 at 10:42 pm 4

Norman Rockwell gets a chuckle from me

5. tigalilee Nov 20th 2017 at 09:29 am 5

Off the Mark, New Yorker, and whatever that rescue turkey one is got real LOL’s out of me. I may print the Off the Mark one. The first one is a CIDU for me.

6. chuckers Nov 20th 2017 at 10:33 am 6

@tigalillee

If I were asked to dance to part of a turkey with a bunch of other folk swinging axes, I think I would want a bit more detail on how the part was going to play out.

7. Mark in Boston Nov 20th 2017 at 11:50 pm 7

Norman Rockwell is straight out of Triple Self-Portrait: http://www.nrm.org/MT/text/TripleSelf.html

8. Cidu Bill Nov 21st 2017 at 12:46 am 8

I saw a photo of Norman Rockwell recently and I was quite bothered by the fact that he didn’t look exactly how he did in Triple Self-Portrait.

9. Meryl A Nov 21st 2017 at 03:52 am 9

While the Pilgrims are about 150 years before the period we reenact,the types of undergarments (small clothes) worn are the same although the styles of them changed over time.

Women wore an undergarment called a shift - this is a sort of an A-line dress, generally in white (white fabric could be boiled to clean without fading as dyed fabric would) which covered them down to their knees. The neck line was open for the head to slide through - there is argument on whether all, some or none of the shifts had ties to address the size of the opening. This garment would vary in fabric (linen, wool or silk) by one’s choice and ability to pay - linen being the cheap fabric back then. There is nothing worn under this garment. (So underneath there is nothing - not a lot of clothing.)

Over the shift one wears pockets. These are two large tear shaped bags with a slit on the side of the bag away from the body. They are on a (fabric) tape band and tie around the waist. (They are really great. I made mine a bit shorter than normal as I am short and I can still put a fan in my pocket and sit down with it in my pocket without damaging it as the pockets fall to the side of one when sitting.)

One then puts one’s stays on over this. While called a corset by French women, they are not the Scarlet O’Hara garment. They are flat fronted and intended to give support to one. (They are great support for one’s back.) The go from about the bust to the waist, with possible flaps hanging below the waist. They had whalebone pieces through channels in them for which are the “stays”. They are tied to feel, as has been described, to feel like a gentle hug - not the pulling them until one will faint of our friend Scarlet. The ones that Pilgrim women would wear would be a bit less comfortable and natural in shape. If a woman who lives in tee shirts and jeans and removes her bra when she comes home can wear them, stays are pretty comfortable. Generally they are made of linen. They can have a rear opening which is laced and tied closed or a rear and front opening for same. The advantage to having both is that the back one can be adjusted to size and then one can lace the front one’s self. Recently someone thought she found a front only lacing set of stays in a museum exhibit - the first one any have come across, but it was found to have been front and back lacing originally and the back was later sewn closed.

Going on to regular clothing - Over this is worn petticoats (which would we call skirts), latest research says at least two. These have slits at the waist on either side to access the pockets through. Depending on the woman’s financial circumstances she would either wear a gown (long or short) over the petticoats or a jacket of some sort. The gown (long) is what one typically thinks of when one thinks of colonial clothes. The jacket is cheaper for those who cannot afford a gown or to keep one’s gown nice if one could only afford one or while working around the house if one is of the lower middling sort. Gowns can be of silk, linen or wool. Jackets would not be of silk.

A handkerchief (a 36 inch x 36 inch square of white fabric - linen or silk) is worn around the neck. (In the pictures of Pilgrim women it looks like they have a large white collar - that is the points of the handkerchief.) It acts for modesty, keeping one warm if it is cold, and it can be dipped in water to help cool one off. (One can also have a handkerchief similar to modern one to carry.)

One wears a cap (generally linen, can be silk) on their head unless their hair is dressed fancy for a party. In addition to the cap being the fashion (and there are different styles of same over time and by age of the wearer and the occasion it is being worn for) it helps keep grease and dust out of one’s hair when hair is not washed often.

While they are seen the handkerchief and the cap are also considered to small clothes, the equivalent to underwear.

Cotton was also used, but it was an expensive fabric as the cotton gin had not yet been invented and cotton was imported from India into England and then exported to the American colonies - with tax charged into and out of England.

10. tigalilee Nov 21st 2017 at 01:03 pm 10

@chuckers

Typically, by the time you’re dressed in full costume, you’ve passed the audition/script reading phase. Looks like they’re ready to do the show or are at least at dress rehearsals.