Saturday Morning Synchrewwnicity - November 18, 2017

Cidu Bill on Nov 18th 2017

Andréa:

nov-8-mgg.JPG

loo.JPG

Regarding the Frazz strip, Miss P. hasn’t even scratched the surface on how many things are wrong here.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Ewww, Frazz, Jef Mallett, Mike Peters, Mother Goose and Grimm, comic strips, comics, humor, synchronicity | 29 responses so far

29 Responses to “Saturday Morning Synchrewwnicity - November 18, 2017”

1. Kedamono Nov 18th 2017 at 12:42 am 1

He watches a lot of PBS and BBC America?

2. PeterW Nov 18th 2017 at 01:12 am 2

Kedamono: That’s how it worked for me. Well, not BBCA, but only because we didn’t have cable.

3. Soup Dragon Nov 18th 2017 at 07:30 am 3

Did that kid poke a ruler around the litter box to figure out the volume?

But what’s the deal with PBS? Have they gone metric? Are they known for showing British soap operas?

4. chuckers Nov 18th 2017 at 08:47 am 4

@Soup Dragon
    Are they known for showing British soap operas?

Ummm…yes? “Upstairs Downstairs” “Downton Abbey” “Sherlock” “Inspector Morse” etc. etc. etc.

And “Britcoms”

“Are you being served?” “Yes, Minister” etc. etc. etc.

5. Andréa Nov 18th 2017 at 09:33 am 5

Chuckers . . . was the juxtaposition of the two BritCom series intentional? ‘-)

6. Kilby Nov 18th 2017 at 10:06 am 6

I’m not sure what’s on Bill’s “catalog of wrongness”, but one thing I noticed was that if the box holds nearly myriad cubic centimeters, then it should be a decaliter box.

7. Mitch4 Nov 18th 2017 at 10:44 am 7

For us cat people, jokes about “thinking outside the box” are not likely to be new and amusing.

8. Ted from Ft. Laud Nov 18th 2017 at 12:30 pm 8

I’ll (almost) buy the “loo”, but I don’t know anyone who pronounces “liter” and “litter” the same (in the US or UK), and without that, I don’t see how this gag works.

9. billybob Nov 18th 2017 at 12:33 pm 9

if he calls it a loo, he’s watching too much BBC.

10. larK Nov 18th 2017 at 01:52 pm 10

I’ve been watching a New Zealand cop show, and damn if they don’t pronounce ALL their vowels way too short! I couldn’t swear to it, but I think they would pronounce “litter” and “liter” to sound (to my ears at least) the same. I’ve actually had to swallow my pride and turn on subtitles, because I was missing too much vital info — was that the past tense or present tense, plural or singular, pin, pen, pan, or pun?

11. Brian in STL Nov 18th 2017 at 04:27 pm 11

I don’t have a cat, but that seems like a big litter box.

12. Seth Nov 18th 2017 at 06:05 pm 12

Maybe the kid has a parent, or even both parents, who are British or something like that? So he hears those terms from them.

13. Bob in Nashville Nov 18th 2017 at 06:21 pm 13

Must not know too much metric, though. 9,500 cubic centimeters would be big enough for a puma to use.

14. billybob Nov 18th 2017 at 06:44 pm 14

12 x 12 x 4 inches, small puma?

15. Greybeard Nov 18th 2017 at 07:22 pm 15

@13 billybob: more like 12×12x6, but right, not that big.
    Math (rounded): 12″ = 25cm
    12cmx12cm=625cm(square)
    9500cc/625cm(sq)=15.2cm = 6″

Anyway, not a puma. Not even a very big conventional decalitter box!

16. mitch4 Nov 18th 2017 at 08:10 pm 16

(ot) larK @9, would that happen to be The Brokenwood Mysteries?

17. Bob in Nashville Nov 18th 2017 at 10:05 pm 17

About 2-1/2 gallons. Isn’t a puma about the size of a dalmation? Sounds about right to me. Definitely not my initial impresion of a Bengal tiger, but still a much bigger cat than would be safe to keep as a pet.

18. larK Nov 18th 2017 at 10:07 pm 18

mitch4, it would, it would indeed. Or rather: eet wud, eet wud ihndid.

19. Bob in Nashville Nov 18th 2017 at 10:12 pm 19

1 liter is about 1,000 cubic centimeters and a little more than a quart. So 9-1/2 liters would be close to 2-1/2 gallons capacity. a 2 gallon home mop bucket holds a couple of bags of litter, which constitute a couple changes each for the average litterbox. So that would be a huge one. Specific dimensions must be based on average shapes rather than volume, as is the measure given in the comic.

Possible exaggeration, but not uncalled-for.

20. Kamino Neko Nov 18th 2017 at 11:05 pm 20

1 liter is about 1,000 cubic centimeters

No, 1L is exactly 1000cm3, since 1cm3==1mL, by definition.

21. Kamino Neko Nov 18th 2017 at 11:07 pm 21

…Why does the superscript tag not work? Stupid wordpress.

Ahem…1L is exactly 1000cm³, since 1cm³==1mL, by definition.

22. Brent Nov 19th 2017 at 02:09 am 22

9500cm³ really isn’t that big. 40×25 = 1000 and x9.5 gives 9500 (although I imagine most have a slightly larger footprint, meaning less depth… I also figure that the capacity given is the volume of the box, not the volume of litter that would typically be used in it (which would be less deep again)). A puma wouldn’t fit in such a box and would probably have a hard time trying to cover up it up afterwards if it did.

23. mitch4 Nov 19th 2017 at 09:24 am 23

(continuing #9,15,17)
    Ah! Well I just started this series. If you recall the earliest episodes, there is a letter for which some significance is claimed (or dismissed). Shortly after reading some of this thread, I was watching that, and noted how they pronounce “letter” very much with the sounds I would hear as “litter”.

24. Daniel J. Drazen Nov 19th 2017 at 09:37 am 24

The Frazz is an implicit apology for a really really weak joke.

25. larK Nov 19th 2017 at 02:03 pm 25

mitch4: YES! I had exactly the same reaction to the “litter” - I had to rewind and play it again, because the context clearly was about a “letter”, but they had clearly said “litter”!

26. Meryl A Nov 21st 2017 at 04:01 am 26

Plus the history shows on PBS.

I am on a Yahoo group which used to be only needlework, but when the group fell to 3 active and 2 less active members it became a general chat group of people interested in needlework. Two of the members,including the group owner live in England and they and I are the active ones.

We translate back and forth to each other - words,temperatures, money when we post (ever try to explain sprinkles/jimmies to someone - I finally resorted to attaching a picture I found online.

In addition to having great discussions - much of the concept of individual states and the differences between them, is fascinating to them. (Before our election last year I explained the electoral college to them in case what happened, happened.)

What they don’t know is that I also use language I learn for reenacting. While I knew a cookie was a cracker there, for example, I have since learned to differentiate the two items as sweet biscuit and savory biscuit.

27. Meryl A Nov 21st 2017 at 04:06 am 27

I have to wonder though, if some shows get changes for the US audience.

I was watching and episode of “Doc Martin” and he tested a boy’s blood sugar and said that it was something in the 20s. I had expected him to panic over high it was as I know that the system the US uses for the readings is not the same as elsewhere in the world and under that system anything in the 20s is terribly high - 4-5 is (approximately) where it should be there to be in a good range. However it said how it low it was - which it would be under the US system in which normal should be around 100. The only thing that makes sense to me is that it was reshot with the US blood sugar range for release here.

28. Olivier Nov 21st 2017 at 04:20 am 28

Same as with Harry Potter : philosopher/sorcerer’s stone or jumper/sweater.
    There was also the title change when The Madness of George III play was made into a movie entitled The Madness of King George for American audiences.

29. Kilby Nov 21st 2017 at 07:48 am 29

Changes to movie titles and contents for different regions and/or dialects is nothing new. The Disney film “Moana” was retitled (and partially re-recorded) to rename the character to “Vaiana”. They did not reanimate the affected sequences, but there are only a few scenes in which it can be clearly seen that the mouth movements were made for the original name “Moana”.