Organ

Cidu Bill on Nov 16th 2017

organ.JPG

Dare I ask which organ?

I’ve decided the best way to handle Caulfield is to subject him to Clockwork Orange-style aversion therapy: lock him in a room like Alex was, prop open his eyes, and make him watch Steven Wright until he cracks.

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Organ”

1. zookeeper Nov 16th 2017 at 11:47 am 1

Kidneys (taps temple)

2. Vulcan with a Mullet Nov 16th 2017 at 11:47 am 2

The only organ I can think of with more letters would be a Hammond.

3. chemgal Nov 16th 2017 at 01:49 pm 3

I don’t think a specific organ was intended. Frazz is just continuing Caulfield’s line of “logic.”

4. John Small Berries Nov 16th 2017 at 01:49 pm 4

Well, there’s “humerus” (or “funny bone”, if you will), but that’s not an organ.

5. CaroZ Nov 16th 2017 at 02:00 pm 5

How does the “ion” pun work except in writing?

6. fleabane Nov 16th 2017 at 02:29 pm 6

“How does the “ion” pun work except in writing?”

By saying… “We’ll keep an..*pause*… AIYAWN*stressed and a hint of a grin* *full stop in pronunciation*.. it”

7. fleabane Nov 16th 2017 at 02:35 pm 7

ION is a great pun, but it doesn’t really fit the idea of a heirachy of composition and word length and doesn’t particularly address, either as confirmation or refute, the question.

8. Christine Nov 16th 2017 at 02:42 pm 8

fleabane - it’s not intended to riff off of Caulfield’s nonsense, it’s just a pun for the sake of being witty. (Although then the idea that she was using something even better than her brain, because how else would she have improved on his joke doesn’t work as well.)

9. narmitaj Nov 16th 2017 at 04:06 pm 9

It would make sense if huge cities had much longer names than small villages, but generally it is the other way round - Paris, Rome, Tokyo etc are much bigger than Westbury-sub-Mendip, Jászfelsőszentgyörgy or Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

10. Boise Ed Nov 16th 2017 at 05:28 pm 10

What Christine [8] said. And I thought it was a great pun.

zookeeper [1]: I haven’t heard that one in decades!

11. Kamino Neko Nov 16th 2017 at 07:56 pm 11

CaroZ - it works better in speech, like all other puns based on pronunciation. The difference between ‘ion’ and ‘eye on’, when spoken is a subtle difference in rhythm, which makes recognition of the pun a bit delayed, which is the optimum condition for a pun.

12. Stan Nov 16th 2017 at 10:58 pm 12

I think I once heard that the stomach has some sort of brain function, or it has some sort of capacity to “think”, or something. Maybe not. Any comments?

13. larK Nov 16th 2017 at 11:33 pm 13

Well, the vagus nerve runs from the brain to the lower intestine, and apparently the bacteria of the gut affect the brain via this pathway, influencing mood and beyond.

14. Cidu Bill Nov 17th 2017 at 02:17 am 14

zookeeper, I got it even if nobody else did.

15. Stan Nov 17th 2017 at 03:51 am 15

LarK 13 - That’s close enough for me! Stomachs think! Thanks. I’m going out to win a bar bet now.

16. Terrence Feenstra Nov 17th 2017 at 09:07 am 16

As a man, I would like to note that the words brain and penis are the same length. Hence the old adage about thinking with the big brain or the little brain is proven false.

17. Powers Nov 17th 2017 at 09:51 am 17

What is it with people pretending to think word length relates somehow to the size of things they describe? These are the same wags who say “Why is abbreviate such a long word” and think they’re funny.

18. Mitch4 Nov 17th 2017 at 09:55 am 18

The mighty Wurlitzer has a few more letters than a Hammond?

19. Andréa Nov 17th 2017 at 11:42 am 19

20. Andréa Nov 17th 2017 at 11:47 am 20

21. Kevin A Nov 17th 2017 at 11:13 pm 21

@zookeeper and Vulcan with a Mullet I smiled and just thought, I’m sure glad I come here. … It’s like the Cheers of blogs. (Which was based on the neighborhood bar I frequented before the series was produced; ..so my choice of simile may be a little biased.)