Long Evenings

Cidu Bill on Nov 14th 2017

nov14-arlo-evening.JPG

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Long Evenings”

1. Winter Wallaby Nov 14th 2017 at 12:55 am 1

[Begin explanation] This is an “Arlo and Janis” comic. Put an Arlo tag on it. [End explanation]

2. Cidu Bill Nov 14th 2017 at 12:58 am 2

It gets dark early which leaves them more time for Arlo’ing? I considered that, but Arlo’s phrasing just seems so awkward.

And, well, their lovemaking is measured in hours?

3. ja Nov 14th 2017 at 01:08 am 3

Most people complain about the short daylight hours. However, the long nights provide ample time for Arlo-ing as well sleep (notice Janice– who isn’t much of an early riser– is contented AND well-rested). What’s not to like?

4. James Pollock Nov 14th 2017 at 03:46 am 4

“And, well, their lovemaking is measured in hours?”

You only have to call the doctor if it takes more than 4.

The point isn’t how long it takes, the point is that they don’t feel rushed. (I think)

5. Mark M Nov 14th 2017 at 12:17 pm 5

JA might have it, but yeah Arlo’s dialogue seems a bit off. The evenings aren’t _longer_. If it’s about a good night’s rest, I can buy that, but I have a hard time believing Arlo requires darkness for doing the deed.

6. larK Nov 14th 2017 at 01:38 pm 6

Why does Arlo change from a ten year old in the first two panels?

7. Cidu Bill Nov 14th 2017 at 01:45 pm 7

Rejuvenated by the Power of Sex?

8. James Pollock Nov 14th 2017 at 03:45 pm 8

“Arlo’s dialogue seems a bit off. The evenings aren’t _longer_.”

Well, they might be.
    If I’m reading it right, your point is that there are 7 hours between 5pm and midnight, every day of the year. That’s true enough. BUT… if the encroaching darkness limits some of the other things Janis might have been doing if it weren’t dark, then she DOES actually have more time available. This would be observed as “longer evenings”.

A comparable situation might be retirement. Each day still has 24 hours in it, but without the demands of work, you have a lot more time to fill with other things (whether they be volunteering, hobbies, or watching “Law & Order” reruns.)

9. Christine Nov 14th 2017 at 05:09 pm 9

My thought about “longer evenings” was even more Arlo-y than just “there’s more time between dark & bedtime”. I assumed they were staying up late, and were both chipper in the morning due to this. (In my experience, lack of sleep can be tolerated for Arlo reasons much more easily than for, say, going out to a party.)

10. fuzzmaster Nov 14th 2017 at 05:40 pm 10

Yeah, I see the backstory here as Janis having complained the previous day that it was too dark to work in her garden, or jog. And Arlo said, well, if you’re not busy …

So they Arlo and fall asleep, and when they meet in the kitchen Arlo remarks ironically on the previous conversation, spurred by the purred melody of her “Good morning.”

11. Singapore Bill Nov 14th 2017 at 11:41 pm 11

Arlo is a Sixty-Minute Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZqfNNtvVM

12. Cidu Bill Nov 14th 2017 at 11:51 pm 12

Oh, and just for the heck of it…

13. Minor Annoyance Nov 15th 2017 at 03:18 am 13

Barely relevant: In one episode of “Cheers”, Norm actually got drunk (extremely rare, but not unprecedented). Next day, he informs Cliff he has no memory of the previous night — but that morning, Vera brought him breakfast in bed and kept calling him “Mister Two Times”.

14. Bob Nov 15th 2017 at 08:10 am 14

larK - good catch on “small” Arlo in the first two panels - maybe he was slouching, but became more “upright” in the last two panels as Janis walked by.

fuzmaster - I totally buy into your setup. Also, you’ve got a wonderful way with words (e.g., “purred melody”).

Bills, Singapore and Cidu - thanks for the links.

15. Kilby Nov 15th 2017 at 08:31 am 15

I agree with larK @6 that Arlo appears small in those first two panels, but I didn’t see him as ten years old. I thought the spots on his face were supposed to be zits, and read it as if he was thinking of himself as a teenager again.

16. Daniel J. Drazen Nov 15th 2017 at 11:01 am 16

larK (#6): I thought the stuff on his face was beard stubble.