The Tom Lehrer tag

Cidu Bill on Nov 13th 2017

beetle-bailey-lehrer.gif

Mark M. sent me this with the comment “Sometimes I think I read too much into Beetle Bailey, but other times I say Nah!

Well, I think “Nah” is correct, but it made me think maybe we should have a category for comics that really don’t deserve the Arlo Award, but could be seen as improper if we really work at it.

filth.JPG

Filed in Beetle Bailey, Bill Bickel, Tom Lehrer Award, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “The Tom Lehrer tag”

1. DmL Nov 13th 2017 at 01:08 pm 1

I don’t get the end of Lehrer’s quote.

2. Scott Nov 13th 2017 at 01:18 pm 2

You’re not viewing it correctly.

When I was in college we sketched out a version of the Wizard of Oz where Oz was a dirty old man. Not hard to do.

3. ja Nov 13th 2017 at 01:30 pm 3

>>I don’t get the end of Lehrer’s quote.

I hear it like this:

When correctly viewed,
    Everything is lewd.
    I could tell you things about Peter Pan…
    And the Wizard of Oz — there’s a dirty old man!

4. Bob Nov 13th 2017 at 01:46 pm 4

“The Tom Lehrer Tag” - I like it!

5. Kedamono Nov 13th 2017 at 02:35 pm 5

Another thumbs up for the “Tom Lehrer Tag” Though wouldn’t that get it an immediate “Geezer Alert” tag as well? :-)

6. Mark in Boston Nov 13th 2017 at 09:47 pm 6

“Oh no, my dear. I’m a very clean old man. I’m just a very dirty old wizard.”

7. James Pollock Nov 13th 2017 at 10:21 pm 7

I worked out independently that anything can sound dirty if you say it in such a way as to make it sound dirty.
    I was about 13 at the time…

8. Treesong Nov 14th 2017 at 01:33 am 8

She gained about twenty pounds between panels.

9. Kilby Nov 14th 2017 at 11:04 am 9

Treesong is right @8, but I also think that Sarge looks a lot thinner (and younger) than he used to be.

10. Bob Nov 14th 2017 at 12:35 pm 10

“… Sarge looks a lot thinner (and younger) than he used to be”

and shorter (or maybe Otto is taller?) - I haven’t followed this strip in about 3 decades.

11. Mark in Boston Nov 14th 2017 at 10:25 pm 11

“Anything can sound dirty if you say it in such a way as to make it sound dirty.”

See Jimmy Kimmel’s “Unnecessary Censorship” segments.

I especially like the Count’s song from “Sesame Street.” The Count is called “The Count” because he has an obsession to [bleep] things.

“I [bleep] the bats upon the wall,
    I [bleep] the spiders in the hall.
    I [bleep] the candles on the shelf.
    When I’m alone I [bleep] myself.”

12. Minor Annoyance Nov 14th 2017 at 10:54 pm 12

The strip muddies the waters by presenting Otto as near-human. Substitute a big slobbery dog, the gag becomes a chestnut (St. Bernard drools all over guest or climbs into lap as host gushes, “You should be flattered. He doesn’t take to just anybody.”).

Back in the day, Otto was simply a dog who mirrored Sarge’s orneriness and wore a doggie coat with sergeant stripes on it. At some point Sarge started dressing him in a little uniform (a long run of gags about the other characters finding that weird; now they all accept it). Then Otto began walking on two feet and all but became a silent little man. Snoopy and Garfield both went this route, but both were emphatically animals to themselves and the characters around them (except Peppermint Patty, who thinks Snoopy is a “funny-looking kid”). Garfields usually eschews clothing, while Snoopy prefers hats, glasses, and the occasional Joe Cool sweater.

13. Ignatz Nov 15th 2017 at 08:44 am 13