UDIC

Cidu Bill on Nov 12th 2017

udic-frazz-veterans-day.JPG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, Jef Mallett, Veteran's Day, comic strips, comics, humor | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “UDIC”

1. Mona Nov 12th 2017 at 08:20 pm 1

I was puzzled by Caulfield’s remark in the third panel and look forward to a reasonable explanation. I’m guessing it has something to do with “civilization”.
    I do understand the second panel.

2. Mr. Grumpy Nov 12th 2017 at 08:24 pm 2

Maybe “a civilization for EARLY for that”? As in …we have not made it to that point yet. That’s all I got.

3. Bob Nov 12th 2017 at 08:50 pm 3

I think the second panel is intended to mean that in an ideal world, there would be no need for any military; therefore, there would be no veterans, and no need for a day to honor them.

4. larK Nov 12th 2017 at 09:46 pm 4

To me it looks like what Frazz said in the last panel came out of his ass (literally).

5. guero Nov 12th 2017 at 10:35 pm 5

I was hoping this would show up here. Mr. Grumpy @2 makes the most sense, but that would make Frazz the cynic and Caufield the optimist, which just doesn’t seem quite in character for either of them.

6. Carl Nov 12th 2017 at 10:40 pm 6

Too late for civilization?

7. Karl Nov 12th 2017 at 10:55 pm 7

How I understood this was was instead of a civilization too late (which does not make much sense to me) Caulfield is saying it is too late for civilization.

Pretty typical sentiment from this comic.

8. John Small Berries Nov 12th 2017 at 11:30 pm 8

Frazz’s line makes sense to me (you can’t really have war until you have societies capable of organizing military forces; and since the history of civilization is fraught with wars, the only time the idyllic existence Caulfield longs for could have existed was before civilization arose - therefore we’re “about a civilization too late” for it).

Caufield’s final line, though, is a mystery to me.

9. Kamino Neko Nov 12th 2017 at 11:32 pm 9

I agree with the C/Karls.

10. Brent Nov 13th 2017 at 01:59 am 10

I think Caulfield’s wording in that last panel seems quite off. It suggests that one of the words is almost backwards. But he probably is going for the antimetabole suggested above, “It’s too late for that civilization.” There are better and less confusing ways to suggest that. Not going subtle and just stating it would work better (and I say that even though I love me some subtlety).

11. Usual John Nov 13th 2017 at 03:14 am 11

I think Caulfield’s point is that war (and, therefore, a world with veterans) is fundamentally uncivilized. In response to Frazz’s suggestion that our civilization is built on the existence or at least possibility of warfare, Caulfield is arguing that what we have in that respect is nearly the opposite of civilization.

12. Powers Nov 13th 2017 at 09:41 am 12

Caulfield’s wording implies that one of the words is an almost-reversal of another word that would fit better. I don’t know where you all are getting “too late for civilization”.

13. Mitch4 Nov 13th 2017 at 10:44 am 13

I was thinking along a line that Usual John at 11 may be using. The word that is almost backwards is “civilization” and of course he means opposite in meaning, not some spelling trickery.

It’s as though the statement neutrally could be put as “an era too late”, but Frazz uses “civilization” for “era”. Caulfield wants to designate it as an uncivilized era. (Though it would be odd to try to use a substantive like “an uncivilization”.)

14. Mitch4 Nov 13th 2017 at 10:45 am 14

That is, if the reversal had to be self-contained in a single word.

15. James Pollock Nov 13th 2017 at 11:55 am 15

I think the “reversal” is referring to sequence, and refers to “civilization” because they’re using different meanings of the word.

In one meaning, civilization means city-building, the literal meaning. In the other, it refers to the process of changes in society that result from living in close quarters with strangers, as happens once the cities are built.

This means that in one case, civilization happened a long time ago. In the other, it’s an ongoing process which has not yet reached completion.

16. Brent Nov 13th 2017 at 05:38 pm 16

@Powers (12): Well, that’s exactly my point. I spent a few minutes reversing every word Frazz said and then looking for similar “almost-backwards” alternatives… the best were “tuba a civilization” and “a civilization out late”. The only conclusion is that Mallett was signalling the wrong thing by mistake.

But there has something… and the antimetabole does work and involves one word and is at least a form of “backwards” (as opposed to “opposite” in meaning). And it’s “too late for THAT civilization”… which is different, because it means that we aren’t beyond civilization, but the boat for a peaceful one has already sailed. Which fits nicely with Frazz’s comment being “right on”, in that is a different perspective of what Frazz said.