Jumble

Cidu Bill on Nov 12th 2017

jumble1.JPG

Even by comic strip standards, this reaction seems to be less a punchline than a sign of mental illness.

Filed in Baldo, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor, unaccountable anger | 27 responses so far

27 Responses to “Jumble”

1. DemetriosX Nov 12th 2017 at 11:21 am 1

It’s a bit of an overreaction, but it depends on just how often they move it and how hard it is to find. I remember when Dilbert first came out the LA Times would put it “somewhere in the business section”, basically wherever they could find space for it. Now that was only 8-12 pages to look through. The Jumble is often stuck in the classifieds wherever it fits, which could mean looking through a few dozen pages and maybe several different sections. Sergio is obviously very upset at having to wade through all that to find this one little bit of happiness in his day.

2. billybob Nov 12th 2017 at 12:03 pm 2

Jumble is for people who enjoy the accomplishment of looking around to find things and put them in an orderly fashion, but aren’t actually very good at it.

3. Fuzzmaster Nov 12th 2017 at 02:17 pm 3

Only those who’ve never had to deal with comics complaints from angry readers would think this is atypical.

4. B.A. Nov 12th 2017 at 02:17 pm 4

Have we ever seen Sergio go into an insane rage over somehing trivial before)

5. Robert V Walker-Smith Nov 12th 2017 at 03:48 pm 5

I saw a parody Jumble years ago. The clue was “This is what your last fifteen minutes have been.”
    Answer: W A S T E D.

Always found the Cryptoquip more enjoyable, myself.

6. Lola Nov 12th 2017 at 04:24 pm 6

Whole Foods does this too. Having been there today and, as in the last 5 weeks running, the thing I was looking for was neither in the place it was last seen last week nor any of the other places found in the preceding weeks. That seems like a really bad business practice. I would love to hear their reasoning for this.

7. furrykef Nov 12th 2017 at 06:38 pm 7

To clarify what I think billybob is getting at: there’s a certain irony in being upset at being unable to find, of all things, a jumble puzzle. I think that’s the joke, not Sergio’s reaction per se.

8. Minor Annoyance Nov 12th 2017 at 07:09 pm 8

Pointless anecdote from the late 70s:

I was a newsroom copy clerk and my duties included sending the Jumble puzzle and a few other syndicated items up to the composing room. One day the editor got a pretty emphatic letter from a reader about the Jumble puzzle solutions being printed with the next day’s puzzle (as provided by the syndicate). He or she didn’t get the Saturday paper, so this was somehow a huge frustration.

Eager to please, the editor told me to cut and paste the next month’s worth of puzzles so the solution would appear the same day, but upside down. This was back when cut and paste was literally cut and paste.

The first time the solution ran the same day, we got at least a dozen angry calls from Jumble fans. I immediately was ordered to cut and paste them back to their original configuration. Don’t know if the original letter writer was heard from again.

9. Cidu Bill Nov 12th 2017 at 07:16 pm 9

I worked in my father’s stationary/printing store in the 1960s, so I too can tell people “You call that cut-and-pasting? I knew from cut-and-pasting.”

10. Dan Sachs Nov 12th 2017 at 08:15 pm 10

Jumble Pro Tip: Start by solving the riddle, then determine which word each of those letters are associated with, and only then determine the words.

11. Cidu Bill Nov 12th 2017 at 08:17 pm 11

That’s what I always did, Dan.

12. Mona Nov 12th 2017 at 08:23 pm 12

When I was a kid I used to love going with my Mom into our small town stationary/printing store!

13. larK Nov 12th 2017 at 09:43 pm 13

Our college newspaper was still laid out cut-and-paste style (well, cut-and-waxed) in the late 80s; we started the transition to computerized layout at that time, using Aldus PageMaker on Mac SEs to print stuff out on a laser printer to cut and paste, instead of using the Veritypers.

so Minor Annoyance, I see your pointless 70s anecdote and raise you a pointless 80s anecdote…

14. Etaoin Shrdlu Nov 13th 2017 at 01:00 am 14

Laying out all those letters with circles around them was a huge pain on a Linotype!

15. Kilby Nov 13th 2017 at 06:04 am 15

I assisted with layout for our high school newspaper, using the same “cut and wax” technology that larK mentioned @13. The newsroom from which we borrowed both layout and printing facilities had the most amazing red rubber rollers, which were used to press freshly waxed cutouts onto the layout form. Thirty years later, I discovered (and immediately bought) one of those rollers (brand new) at a stationery store in downtown Berlin. It is an invaluable tool for all sorts of tasks.

P.S. The pointlessness of the anecdote has now entered the 21st century.

16. larK Nov 13th 2017 at 10:03 am 16

Kilby: I remember the satisfaction that rolling down a waxed cutout layout would bring, but I can’t really imagine any other use for the roller — and since I don’t have a waxer, nor do I do that kind of layout much anymore, I’m curious as to what you do with the roller?

17. Dennis Ewing Nov 13th 2017 at 09:59 pm 17

I see I am not the only one old enough to have run Linotype slugs, cut them to length if needed and locked them into a chase. Guess I am not as old as I thought. My career went for hot lead to computer to plate. More change in about 40 years than in the preceding 400 years.

18. James Pollock Nov 13th 2017 at 10:20 pm 18

My early teens coincide with the arrival of the microcomputer, and by the time I was working in print, desktop publishing had started to become a thing.

However, I have an anecdote that runs somewhere between pointless and amusing, too.
    Our printing was done in Japan. So, we did the layout design here in the U.S., and the results were put together in Japan. We’d get proofs, and have to mark them up for correction in the final print run. The markups were going to be executed by Japanese, so our markup tags were in Japanese. They gave me a double-sided sheet of paper with squiggles on it, and what those squiggles meant. So if I need to mark something as needing to move left, I’d look up “move left” on my sheet and find out what squiggles meant “move left” to the Japanese person who’d be composing my page(s). My handwriting is awful in English, a language I’m fully literate in. I can’t imagine how bad my hand-drawn squiggles were in Japanese.

19. Meryl A Nov 14th 2017 at 03:47 am 19

Lola - just when we have figured out the new pattern and shortcuts to Ikea’s maze, they redo it.

The local Walmarts are rather small (and not 24 hour stores) and departments are not necessarily where they should be and stuff in the departments are not necessarily where they should be in the departments, compared to the standard Walmart layouts. The food departments in our stores/supermarket sections in the regular stores are really strangely laid out. Peanut butter is in the breakfast aisle. Canned gravy - where might it be - with the tomato sauce (aka tomato gravy according to husband), with the canned soup? No - it was someplace other all together - I had to bother an employee to find out where it was - and then they did not have the one I was looking for. The folding plastic one step (stepladder) that husband keeps all over the house, in the garage and in the RV, used to be a single color - black or blue - but then became multicolored and was moved to the children’s department in our local store - now they are missing all together.

20. Kilby Nov 14th 2017 at 06:43 am 20

@ larK (16) - Most of the uses for the roller boil down to “low-tech lamination”, such as when gluing paper onto paper(*). I’ve also used it to apply translucent (privacy) film to (for instance) bathroom windows.

P.S. (*) - I’ve never seen a classic “paste” jar in Germany, kids here use “glue sticks”, which work very similar to that old wax, but are more permanent, and that stiff glue works even better when the paper is pressed together with the roller.

21. chemgal Nov 14th 2017 at 12:04 pm 21

To put this in perspective for us comic-philes, imagine if you only got your comics in the local paper, and they kept moving where in the paper it was. Very annoying. My local paper did that for a while, and so I relate. While I get this is an over-reaction, in the comics things are often exaggerated.

22. James Pollock Nov 14th 2017 at 03:51 pm 22

“Most of the uses for the roller boil down to ‘low-tech lamination’”

Some 40 years ago, my grandfather, looking for a project to keep me busy, suggested making a jigsaw puzzle. This started with a stack of old magazines, looking for a picture. We glued the one I picked to a piece of wood, and then cut it into puzzle pieces on the jigsaw. He used the roller to make sure the glue was evenly distributed between the magazine page and the piece of wood.

23. Cidu Bill Nov 14th 2017 at 04:54 pm 23

chemgal, I used to get a newspaper that made the decision not to put Doonesbury on the Comics Page, and instead moved it around to wherever they had space.

I never ripped up my newspaper in anger. Not once.

24. James Pollock Nov 15th 2017 at 02:41 am 24

“I never ripped up my newspaper in anger. Not once.”

OK.
    But you know how sometimes an argument is about one thing, but it’s REALLY about something else (or often, a whole bunch of other somethings.)?

25. Cidu Bill Nov 15th 2017 at 05:50 pm 25

Can you imagine somebody with his short fuse teaching somebody like Caulfield?

26. James Pollock Nov 15th 2017 at 06:32 pm 26

“Hence, James, my speculation that Sergio might have some serious physical, psychological or mental issues to address.”

Well, in the sense that ANYONE might have some serious issues to address.

27. Kilby Nov 16th 2017 at 01:40 am 27

On several occasions the Post has made major changes to their comic selection and/or layout, sometimes (but not always) inviting readership input in advance. Either way, there was always a large amount of hot-headed commentary afterwards, mostly from people unwilling to accept that their particular favorite feature had been cut from the lineup. It’s simply impossible to please everyone at the same time.