Energy

Cidu Bill on Nov 10th 2017

nov10-frazz-energydrink.jpg

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Frazz, Jef Mallett, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Energy”

1. CaroZ Nov 10th 2017 at 01:23 am 1

I think I get the conversation… Caulfield has a cockamamie idea that Red Bull is actually saturated with caffeine (i.e. adding more would cause it to precipitate out) and he can get around this with an espresso machine? But what I do not understand is the significance of the design between the panels.

2. James Schend Nov 10th 2017 at 02:04 am 2

Is there any place in the world where people call energy drinks like Redbull “energy pop”? That’s what lost me on the first reading of this.

3. PeterW Nov 10th 2017 at 02:14 am 3

“Energy pop” is something like Surge to me. Redbull and Monster aren’t pop.

4. Kamino Neko Nov 10th 2017 at 02:46 am 4

CaroZ - it’s an espresso portafilter, I think.

5. Kilby Nov 10th 2017 at 08:10 am 5

I think if Caulfield is really looking for a major caffeine hit, he would probably be better off freebasing Vivarin.

Regular espresso contains about 2g/liter of caffeine (not that anyone is about to drink a liter quart of espresso). It would be possible to dissolve ten times that much caffeine in water (even at room temparature), but I doubt that would be safe to drink. The solubility of caffeine in water is highly dependent on temparature, but also on other materials dissolved in the water. For example, the acid in coffee makes it more soluble. Carbonation also has an acidifying effect(*), but it’s unclear what all the sugar would do.

P.S. (*) In German, carbon dioxide is usually called “Kohlensäure“, or “carbonic acid”, because of the hydrated form “H2CO3″.

6. Big Chief Nov 10th 2017 at 09:57 am 6

The central design might be one of those little sieves that go into a coffee machine.

7. DemetriosX Nov 10th 2017 at 11:37 am 7

@Kilby (5): Kohlendioxid is starting to become more prevalent. Probably because gaseous CO2 is becoming a more common topic of discussion. It used to be that CO2 only mattered in how fizzy your mineral water is, these days not so much. It wouldn’t really surprise me to learn that a lot of people don’t know that Kohlensäure and Kohlendioxid are the same thing.

8. Big Chief Nov 10th 2017 at 02:17 pm 8

It could be that “infuser” was the word I was looking for @6. It could also be that an infuser is an implement for making tea, not coffee. It could also be I’m completely talking through my hat.

9. Kamino Neko Nov 10th 2017 at 05:13 pm 9

Big Chief - Since this is specifically about espresso, the word you’re looking for is portafilter, the word I used in my post. :p

10. CaroZ Nov 10th 2017 at 10:08 pm 10

Ah, I see it now! Have to ignore the long lines radiating out from it.

11. Big Chief Nov 11th 2017 at 12:28 am 11

@Kamino: not being a coffee drinker of any kind, the word portafilter is so alien to me that I didn’t recognize your reference at all, so you have proven my theory to my and I suspect everyone’s complete satisfaction that I was indeed talking completely through my hat.

12. Catlover Nov 11th 2017 at 05:12 pm 12

Walter Diemer, the inventor of bubble gum, was an accountant.

Caufield shows a preternatural awareness of the accounting profession and its related steroetypes. “How much would you like 2 plus 2 to be?” Plus, he shouldn’t anger the acccountants necessary to manage his million once it happens.

13. Catlover Nov 11th 2017 at 05:12 pm 13

Walter Diemer, the inventor of bubble gum, was an accountant.

14. Meryl A Nov 15th 2017 at 02:09 am 14

Without accountants how would you know if you made money or lost it? Just because you have more cash does not mean you made money and just because you have less does not mean you lost money.

Accounting story - it takes place in a coffee shop so it is caffeine related.

Accountant comes in to “do the the books”. Owner shows him the new display on the counter next to the register for small bags of chips. He tells the accountant how many bags he is selling and it is great. Just a foot of counter space which was not being used anyway, great profit maker. Accountant looks at the display and the owner. He takes out a pencil, paper and calculator (old story) and starts calculating. He calculates the cost of the chips and the displays share of rent, heat, electricity, telephone, labor costs, etc. Of course after doing this the chip display is losing a fortune not making money. This despite the fact that overall income of the shop has risen, with only the additional cost of buying the chips, he makes it into a loss.