Jokes

Cidu Bill on Nov 9th 2017

nov09-cyanide.png

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cyanide and Happiness, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Jokes”

1. Stan Nov 9th 2017 at 12:17 am 1

He literally could not telling ‘dad jokes’, those corny jokes that you roll your eyes at when your dad tells them, since becoming a dad, even in the face of his own son dying in front of him.

His son dies so he can stop telling the jokes, and the corny dad ‘tash and clip-on tie disappear in the wind too.

2. Cidu Bill Nov 9th 2017 at 12:32 am 2

I realized that 30 seconds after I posted the comic.

It happens.

3. Stan Nov 9th 2017 at 02:47 am 3

“He literally could not telling ‘dad jokes’”

Sorry, “could not STOP telling ‘dad jokes’” I realised that an hour or so after I posted that first comment.

It also happens.

4. Kilby Nov 9th 2017 at 04:58 am 4

For the sake of a 30-second CIDU, we are all left reading a really sick and depressing comic?

5. James Pollock Nov 9th 2017 at 06:15 am 5

“we are all left reading a really sick and depressing comic?”

Depressing? Allow me to quote from panel 6:
    “The curse has lifted”
    That’s GOOD news.

6. Kilby Nov 9th 2017 at 06:48 am 6

@ JP (5) - You are welcome to remain in your deluded ivory tower, but if he considers having a son a curse, then this is a sick and depressing comic.

7. narmitaj Nov 9th 2017 at 09:16 am 7

It’s a fine point, no doubt, but having the son isn’t itself the curse - the curse is being forced (by some evil spirit) to make bad dad jokes so long as his son shall live. He notices in panel 6 - without even looking at his son - that mysteriously he can no longer make a dad joke; then in panel 7 he realises his son is dead and he appears to be upset; in panel 8 he feels the brief rush of the evil spirit’s curse lifting from him; and then in (virtual) panels 9 to 10,000 and beyond he no doubt visibly feels the pain of the loss of his son every day. I imagine.

8. Powers Nov 9th 2017 at 09:58 am 8

There’s no evil spirit; comic convention is that dads are forced to tell dad jokes simply by virtue of being dads.

9. Mitch4 Nov 9th 2017 at 10:24 am 9

When I would get upset, stamp my foot, and insist “I’m being serious!” my dad would usually reply “Hi Serious, I’m Robot”. (Somehow after Sears-Roebuck.)

10. fleabane Nov 9th 2017 at 12:42 pm 10

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually *have* dads who tell dad jokes? Or more to the point, among people who tell and like these jokes (childless me for instance) and those who don’t, is there *any* correlation to fatherhood.

11. Wendy Nov 9th 2017 at 02:26 pm 11

I do it, and I’m a mom, does that count?

12. Ian D Osmond Nov 9th 2017 at 03:37 pm 12

Kilby — to be fair, the tag “Cyanide and Happiness” means “really sick and depressing.”

Heck, this week is “Depressing Comic Week” over at C&H, in which they make sure that their comics don’t have ANYTHING funny about them, and are just existentially depressing.

… frankly, I usually skip over Depressing Comic Week…

13. Mark in Boston Nov 10th 2017 at 01:18 am 13

My dad would make dad jokes.

One of his favorites was the one-liner “How Long is a Chinaman.” It sounds like a riddle, you see, but it’s actually a statement. You know how Chinese people have funny names.

“Why does a baby duck walk softly? Because he can’t walk hardly.”

14. Meryl A Nov 15th 2017 at 02:17 am 14

My dad told all sorts of jokes - including groaners which are being called dad jokes here. My dad wore eye glasses, had a mustache, had bushy eyebrows, smoked a cigar and told jokes - I always wondered if he was Groucho Marx (he did a lot of Groucho’s jokes). (Oddly my mom thought he looked like Clark Gable - I guess she knew him originally with a smaller mustache and saw him more often without his glasses than I did.)