1971 Called…

Cidu Bill on Nov 9th 2017

peace-train.JPG

And while we’re all here, I don’t get the joke.

is that it took him 46 years to realize he doesn’t like the song.

Oh, and just for the heck of it…

Filed in 1971, Bill Bickel, Cat Stevens, Harry Bliss, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “1971 Called…”

1. Powers Nov 9th 2017 at 09:56 am 1

Are we sure this is supposed to be funny? Maybe it’s just mildly bemusing.

2. ja Nov 9th 2017 at 10:02 am 2

As far as the joke, “Peace Train” is about unity:

Oh, I’ve been smiling lately
    Dreaming about the world as one

The song is supposed to inspire one to climb on the peace train, but he hates the song.

3. Mitch4 Nov 9th 2017 at 10:16 am 3

Yeah, some of Bliss’s characters are rather curmudgeonly.

4. Mitch4 Nov 9th 2017 at 10:19 am 4

And also hasn’t Yusuf been recently prominent for some new releases, and reissues, partly reclaiming or reactivating the Cat Stevens name?

5. Daniel J. Drazen Nov 9th 2017 at 11:17 am 5

I think he’s supposed to be a millennial/deplorable who just flat out hates that song. And probably Cat Stevens for converting to Islam. And he probably doesn’t think much of John Lennon’s “Imagine,” either.

I have no problem with the cartoon. It’s all too real.

6. BeckoningChasm Nov 9th 2017 at 11:32 am 6

I think it’s a contrast with “Peace” in the title and “hate” in the dialogue.

7. fleabane Nov 9th 2017 at 12:19 pm 7

This is the same cartoonist that did the imaginary friend that was a snapping turtle one, wasn’t it?

With a set of two data point, I’m going to declare the cartoonist has a living in a bubble with soft edges syndrome. The joke seems to be a song about peace is ironically opposed to feelings of hatred. But that’s obvious and has be done before and not really that ironic because a message *exists* doesn’t mean someone who disagrees with it and says something counter to it is ironic… that’s about as ironic as, say, a person eating beef…. you know? Because a cow is a vegetarian?… and if you eat beef you *aren’t* a vegetarian?… That’s ironic, isn’t it?…

Likewise the imaginary friend that is a snapping turtle seems to be that if you have imaginary friends, you think that are fun people or pleasant animals, and so the idea that it would be an aggressive unpleasant animal is supposed to be funny or contradictory. It’s just hard to imagine anyone thinking that is a particularly interesting or clever observation. It’s a bit like thinking the Seinfeld bit about “The big toe is the captain of the other toes” has potential (at least that bit the benefit of being purely meta– Jerry wasn’t actually doing the bit; the joke was he was *considering* it.)

8. fleabane Nov 9th 2017 at 12:26 pm 8

>>>It’s a bit like a Jack Handy Deep Thought: “Any man who says he hates war more than I do, he’d better have a knife.””

At least that one, has the benefit that the guy is *self*contradictory. This the joke seems to be that someone disagrees with someone *else’s* claim. Which …. isn’t ironic at all. It’s just … disagreeing.

Then again I had a friend who thought it was hilarious every time I mentioned parking under an overpass.

9. Mark M Nov 9th 2017 at 02:43 pm 9

It sure seems like Cat Stevens gets his fair share of exposure in the comics. We had the guy exclaiming that he was being followed by a moon shadow awhile back, and now this one. If it hasn’t been done already, maybe we’ll see one with Alonzo Mourning getting “broken” somehow.

10. Arthur Nov 9th 2017 at 03:05 pm 10

I see this differently than the previous responders. I don’t
    think the particular song is important. And I don’t think it
    would have worked in 1971.

Out of nowhere, Blue Pants mentions a very old song. You’re
    supposed to think he’s going to be nostalgic and/or sentimental
    about it, which is why he’s bringing it up. Instead, he says
    that he hates it.

If that’s the explanation, it probably would have worked better
    as a multi-panel strip so the expectation has enough time before
    the breaking of that expectation in the last panel.

11. Kilby Nov 10th 2017 at 05:29 am 11

@ Arthur (10) - You may be right, but if that’s the explanation, then Schulz did it before Bliss (and there’s a reason that the strip is easy to find, it was his first one).

P.S. Does anyone else hate the stupid “featured comments” that GoComics is now promoting on every page?

12. Phil Nov 13th 2017 at 01:08 pm 12

I agree with Arthur that the particular song is not important. As I see it, he’s listening to the song on his iPod, iPhone, Samsung phone, etc. He’s not listening to a radio or Spotify or Pandora. He’s listening to a playlist that he made - so he could delete the song if he doesn’t like it or at least skip to the next one.

It’s like the old joke.
    Two men are eating brown bag lunches.
    “Tuna fish again. I hate tuna fish sandwiches every day.”
    “Why don’t you ask your wife to make something different?”
    “Oh, I make my own lunch.”

13. Meryl A Nov 15th 2017 at 02:11 am 13

Maybe he just came down from the high he went into in 1971 listening to “Peace Train”?