Calvin and Hobbes and Comics

Cidu Bill on Nov 8th 2017

Boise Ed: There’s nothing EWW or CIDU about this; it just seems like one that everyone in our little community should see, especially the last panel.

calvin-and-hobbes-and-comics.JPG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Calvin and Hobbes and Comics”

1. Cidu Bill Nov 8th 2017 at 10:51 pm 1

I have to admit, I was tempted to post this really, really small…

2. Kilby Nov 8th 2017 at 11:11 pm 2

@ Bill (1) - The resolution you used is perfect. As usual, the Wordpress template causes longer comics to get chopped off on mobile devices. The effect here is that I can see only seven of the eight “talking heads”, and can bask in the glory of “taking comics seriously”, without having to deal with the threat of “nursing homes”. ;-)

3. turquoisecow Nov 8th 2017 at 11:14 pm 3

I love this one.

4. Treesong Nov 8th 2017 at 11:33 pm 4

And note that the panels are not Xeroxed….

5. Mark in Boston Nov 9th 2017 at 12:27 am 5

… but they might as well have been.

6. Cidu Bill Nov 9th 2017 at 12:34 am 6

Kilby, I found a width that works perfectly on virtually all computer screens, but there’s nothing I can do about phones.

7. CaroZ Nov 9th 2017 at 12:40 am 7

I think the fact that the panels *could* have been copied but weren’t is delightful.

8. Daniel J. Drazen Nov 9th 2017 at 11:20 am 8

Codger Mode: I remember when the same thing was said about Garry Trudeau.

9. BeckoningChasm Nov 9th 2017 at 11:35 am 9

There was also a “Peanuts” episode where the kids complained about comics becoming all text.

10. fleabane Nov 9th 2017 at 12:46 pm 10

>>>>And note that the panels are not Xeroxed….

Weren’t they? And wasn’t that the joke?

The only difference I can see is Hobbes mouth is open in panel 4.

11. Brian in STL Nov 9th 2017 at 01:14 pm 11

Examine each drawing carefully, especially Hobbes. You will see minor variations in the stripes and the jagged fur on the front along with other differences. Each panel is individually drawn, although the possibility of tracing exists of course.

12. Kilby Nov 9th 2017 at 01:14 pm 12

@ fleabane (10) - All four panels are completely different. This came up in the sleepy “Garfield” thread. I went and superimposed both strips, which showed minor, but definite differences in all of the repective panels.

13. Kilby Nov 9th 2017 at 01:18 pm 13

P.S. @ Brian (11) - From the differences in the head positions shown by the superimposed animated GIF, I don’t think Watterson even used the same pencil sketch for inking the four panels, I think he drew them all from scratch.

14. Keera Nov 9th 2017 at 05:27 pm 14

This reminds me: I have future pet peeve. There had better be wifi at the nursing home, because I am not giving up CIDU until Bill does.

15. Brian in STL Nov 9th 2017 at 07:05 pm 15

Thanks for the analysis Kilby. Doesn’t surprise me. Watterson was pretty dedicated to his craft.

16. Kilby Nov 11th 2017 at 01:57 am 16

Looking at the .GIF again, I just noticed that the number of stripes on Hobbes’s arm alternates between 7 and 8.

17. zbicyclist Nov 11th 2017 at 08:50 pm 17

@Keera (#14)

The good news: yes, there will be wifi at your nursing home.

The bad news: as you use more data, the speed gets gradually slower, and slower, … and slower, …… and slower ……… and slower, …………… until …

18. Weird Beard Nov 12th 2017 at 04:46 pm 18

Does anyone else miss the day when Doonesbury was mostly talking heads, but little things would happen, like bread would move around in the toaster? I used to love that, even before I could understand the actual strip.

19. Meryl A Nov 15th 2017 at 02:24 am 19

Kilby - I often am missing the right side of the strips on my laptop. But then again it is Win XP and I was told when I complained to Comics Kingdom about how hard it is it negotiate their comments - it is no longer supported. (Yeah, I know it’s old, but that did not explain whey they also said my desktop Win 7 is also no longer supported by anyone.)