Sunday Funnies - LOL, November 5, 2017

bug-like-two-mes-in-a-pod.png

football.jpg

meteorologist.PNG

wocket.jpg

B.A.: Funny because it’s true:

manet-monet-ba-funny-because-its-true.PNG

Filed in Adam Huber, Bill Bickel, Bug Martini, Charles Schulz, Claude Monet, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Edouard Manet, New Yorker, Peanuts, cmic strips, comics, humor, lol | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL, November 5, 2017”

1. James Schend Nov 5th 2017 at 01:08 am 1

MST3K did that Bug joke, almost to the same wording, way back in the 90s:

2. Kilby Nov 5th 2017 at 03:24 am 2

That MST3K clip @1 is 91 minutes long. I think I’ll wait for someone else to find out when the relevant section occurs, the first few minutes did not seem all that promising.

3. Brent Nov 5th 2017 at 03:53 am 3

Well, if I had to guess where without looking, I’d guess 1 hour, 8 minutes, 50 seconds.

(Because that’s the time code in the URL.)

4. Kilby Nov 5th 2017 at 04:15 am 4

The “Monet vs. Manet” conundrum was done (better) by Roberts & Clooney in”Ocean’s 11″. If you have the DVD, it’s in scene 15, starting at 0:47:47.

5. Kilby Nov 5th 2017 at 04:21 am 5

P.S. @2 - Thanks, Brent @3. Silly of me to miss that, but my browser didn’t process the parameter (it just started from the beginning).

6. Carl Nov 5th 2017 at 08:03 am 6

The “Meteorologist” strip … is there any significance to the hard-to-read “BIBINA” on the glass behind the characters? As far as a quick web search tells me, it’s a Russian name, probably a daughter’s patronymic. That doesn’t help.

Nice assortment, Bill. I chuckled.

7. Powers Nov 5th 2017 at 09:11 am 7

Wait, people actually laugh at the Lucy-pulls-the-football strips?

8. Keera Nov 5th 2017 at 11:18 am 8

I don’t, Powers @7, but then, I don’t play football.

9. Cidu Bill Nov 5th 2017 at 12:57 pm 9

I finally had the Manet/Monet thing figured out a few years ago — and then I saw a painting Manet did of Monet — or maybe it was a painting Monet did of Manet — and everything jumbled up again.

10. r2t Nov 5th 2017 at 05:05 pm 10

the Lucy one is just kind of sad and depressing.Peanuts was a great strip but some recurring “gags” Schultz did went on way too long to the point of some almost nihilistic commentary on life I think .Thus parodies of a grown up Charlie Brown being some warrior or loner psychopath based on his childhood treatment.

11. jajizi Nov 5th 2017 at 05:08 pm 11

It is hard to read. It looks to me like it could be BIKINI? Maybe?

12. CaroZ Nov 5th 2017 at 11:02 pm 12

I read it as BIRIM (and also wondered what its significance was). Since no two of us can agree on what the letters are, it might be tough to agree on the meaning…

13. Kilby Nov 5th 2017 at 11:56 pm 13

At one point I thought it might be “BERLIN“, but then I decided that was just my built-in positional bias.

14. Kilby Nov 6th 2017 at 04:32 am 14

P.S. @ “Peanuts” - With the possible exception of the first few instances, the “Lucy-pulls-the-ball-away” strips had nothing to do with the repetitive slapstick of having Charlie Brown fall on his kiester, but rather with the incongruity of the philisophic framework surrounding the action. As r2t noted @10, the result is not always “funny”. Nevertheless, I usually enjoyed reading the introspective wistfulness in each annual appearance.