Spring Ahead, Fall Back (except in the Funkyverse)

Cidu Bill on Nov 5th 2017

time-change.PNG

When this ran on March 12, Laurie sent it to me noting that it made more sense the morning Daylight Saving Time ended.

So as a special favor to Batiuk, I re-scheduled it for today.

Filed in Crankshaft, Daylight Saving Time, Tom Batiuk, comic strips, comics | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Spring Ahead, Fall Back (except in the Funkyverse)”

1. Kilby Nov 5th 2017 at 05:56 am 1

Meanwhile, today’s Frazz shows us all how it’s done correctly.

2. mitch4 Nov 5th 2017 at 10:20 am 2

I know some people question the value of the “spring forward, fall back” mnemonic. Personally, I consider it almost perfect.

OTOH, I never understand the “gain an hour” / “lose an hour” business. I don’t feel like either of those describes very well what happens. And thus, I don’t know which of those is what people think happened today.

3. James Pollock Nov 5th 2017 at 02:22 pm 3

It works if they were trying to arrive at the end of services, to pick someone up, and got there an hour too soon… going in and waiting means you get an hour of services you wouldn’t have gotten.

But if you got there too early for the start of services, you’d just be sitting in a (mostly) empty building, with time to talk about whatever… which is what you’re going to do anyway.

But the setup seems like it’s the second one, and not the first, so the time-of-year problem is only one of a suite.

4. Mary McNeil Nov 5th 2017 at 07:58 pm 4

Just FYI - this is not today’s (Sunday 11/5/17) strip,

5. Mark in Boston Nov 5th 2017 at 09:13 pm 5

Nobody showed up an hour early at my church.

6. Christine Nov 6th 2017 at 11:17 am 6

Mark in Boston - I suspect that someone did at mine. She was early on top of that too. But I’m not sure where the line between late for 9:00 and an hour early for 11:00 is. (I’ve been as late as her, but that involved forgetting what time I wanted to arrive.) She walked right in, so I’m leaning towards late, because if she was early she’d presumably have noticed by then.

7. Winter Wallaby Nov 6th 2017 at 11:53 am 7

My synagogue has services for kids on Sunday, and specifically warned us last week not to come an early hour this week.

8. Brian in STL Nov 6th 2017 at 02:07 pm 8

Even the meteorologists get confused sometimes. On the lo-cal news, they crew was chatting about Daylight Saving Time, and the weekend meteorologist stated that she doesn’t like it getting dark so soon, so she’d just as soon they got rid of it. What she really wants is permanent DST, where some year we’d get “spring forward” but no “fall back”.

The main reason that they don’t do that is that it gets dark in the morning when kids are walking to school or the bus stop. And before anyone says that kids don’t do that anymore, I can tell you that it’s not true where I live. There are many kids doing that locally.

9. Carolyn Nov 6th 2017 at 04:27 pm 9

Mark - How do you know? Where you there an hour early yourself?

10. Bob Nov 6th 2017 at 07:35 pm 10

Brian in STL - but (at least here) kids end up walking to school in the dark anyway for at least a couple months. And what better way to teach them about reflective clothing, walking on the correct side of the road, and situational awareness?

11. Kevin Nov 6th 2017 at 08:53 pm 11

Some churches have multiple services on Sunday. They may have been planning to attend the early service only to arrive after the service was over and have decided to wait for the next service. However, churches that have multiple services don’t typical end their services in an hour. There should have still been cars in the parking lot.

12. Mark in Boston Nov 6th 2017 at 09:30 pm 12

Carolyn: I always arrive two hours early. I’m the music director and get there early to practice and make sure everything is set up for the choir.

13. Meryl A Nov 7th 2017 at 03:10 am 13

Winter Wallaby - I remember that problem from when I went to Hebrew school well.

Our reenactment unit does the local St Patrick’s parade (the township gives us a stipend and meeting space, so we do various things in return during the year). So that participants can go to the “real” St Patrick’s parade on on 3/17 in Manhattan (and the parades out here have to be stacked onto different dates so that all the pipe bands can go to as many as possible) it is held on the second Sunday in March. We have to keep reminding the unit members that it is the day the clocks are set ahead and to remember to do so, so that they are at the parade on time and do not miss it.