Guilty

Cidu Bill on Nov 3rd 2017

nov03-guiltyplea.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Non Sequitur, Wiley Miller, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Guilty”

1. James Pollock Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:24 am 1

I’m pretty sure this is political, and I’m leaving it there.

2. PeterW Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:33 am 2

Seems pretty straightforward without any political bent.

3. Cidu Bill Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:34 am 3

James, please note that it’s from last December.

4. Arthur Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:42 am 4

“Get over it and move on” is what you tell someone who is still
    upset over something you did. It’s not an apology, it just means
    you don’t want to hear about it anymore.

Apparently the convict said this to the judge. It does imply that
    he actually did what he was accused of, because you don’t say
    that about something you didn’t do.

So, I think I understand (and have explained) the joke. Maybe
    someone who thinks it’s funny will explain the humor.

5. Kilby Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:50 am 5

Arthur has it exactly right @4. It’s not a knee-slapper, but the hunorous aspect is that this clueless convict had no concept that making a flippant comment to the judge would be likely to land him in jail.

6. Cidu Bill Nov 3rd 2017 at 01:22 am 6

What he said seems like “nolo contendere” for somebody who’s not comfortable with Latin.

7. James Pollock Nov 3rd 2017 at 02:31 am 7

“What he said seems like ‘nolo contendere’ for somebody who’s not comfortable with Latin.”

It doesn’t, really, because a nolo plea means “I’m not saying I did it, but I choose not to fight the charge”, while “get over it and move on” means “I did it, and I’m not sorry I did it.”

Note that this would be political last December, or the December before that, or pretty much any point in partisan politics. The side using it varies, depending on which gang of thieves and brigands happens to occupy the pinnacle of power at that particular moment, but the sentiment lives on (and on, and on.)

It is the predominant response to complaints of systematic disenfranchisement, and gerrymandering. It is also immortalized in the website name for the push to avoid the impeachment of President Clinton (Depending on your political outlook and your degree of cynicism, you may have reached this conclusion in calculating the approximate likelihood of conviction in that particular case. No, we had the political theatre of all the middle-aged men who routinely lied about having sex with women not then their wives, pretending to be outraged that Mr. Clinton lied about having sex with women other than his wife.)

8. Arthur Nov 3rd 2017 at 03:20 am 8

You’ve got a point there, Bill.

9. DemetriosX Nov 3rd 2017 at 06:26 am 9

I don’t know about guilty or nolo contendere, but a comment like that is almost certain to get you hit with a contempt charge.

10. billybob Nov 3rd 2017 at 06:36 am 10

“My usual response is ‘get over it.’” — Antonio Scalia.

11. Soup Dragon Nov 3rd 2017 at 10:22 am 11

Perhaps his attorney is a divorce lawyer?

12. Mitch4 Nov 3rd 2017 at 10:50 am 12

Does anyone else follow “Pros and Cons”? A recurrent setup they have is a hapless defendant and his attorney explaining why what he said in court, or to police, was very stupid.

13. Winter Wallaby Nov 3rd 2017 at 11:52 am 13

mitch4 #12: A public defender I know had a client who, when pulled over by the police, immediately said, unprompted, “I’m on K!” And kept repeating it. Apparently he was concerned that the police would think he was on some other, harder drug, and wanted to make clear that it was just K.

To be fair, once he was no longer high, he probably realized that it wasn’t the best defense.

14. Cidu Bill Nov 3rd 2017 at 11:59 am 14

I wonder how many people of my generation were introduced to “nolo contendere” by Spiro Agnew.

15. Bob Nov 3rd 2017 at 12:15 pm 15

Cidu Bill - count me as one.

16. Kilby Nov 3rd 2017 at 01:18 pm 16

@ Bill (14) - I’m another one.

17. Meryl A Nov 7th 2017 at 03:25 am 17

Dad was an attorney. I knew the phrase before Spiro T.