Speed Bump’s Strange Brew

Cidu Bill on Oct 31st 2017

oct31-2017-speed.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Speed Bump’s Strange Brew”

1. fleabane Oct 31st 2017 at 02:04 am 1

Some people can food stuff and to them it is a frequent and common task. Sometimes the quantity is overwhelming and noting that preparing the food is fun but canning it can be a pain is a common observation.

I just think it’s odd that one of these modern cynical “edgy” comics would think canning was a common enough activity that the reader should empathize with it.

2. mitch4 Oct 31st 2017 at 09:28 am 2

Do we see some solids in liquid in those jars? Does the eye-of-newt (etc.) get preserved mostly whole, and not dissolved?

3. Kilby Oct 31st 2017 at 09:41 am 3

It’s not necessary to have any direct personal experience to understand the comic. I’ve never canned anything, but I’ve read enough of the instructions in the “Joy of Cooking” to know that I have no interest in ever trying it.

4. JHGRedekop Oct 31st 2017 at 09:45 am 4

Witches only get to make The Brew around Halloween — I mean, you never see cartoons of witches making The Brew at Easter, do you? — so if they want any for the rest of the year, they have to can it.

5. Wendy Oct 31st 2017 at 11:01 am 5

If you assume it’s a magic brew (they are witches, after all) then it may be something that is only potent if it’s cooked on Halloween, like some ingredients are supposed to be collected only under a full moon, or other such directions. So if that’s the case, this is the one night a year they can make it, so they have to make lots and can it for the rest of the year.

6. larK Oct 31st 2017 at 11:07 am 6

7. Mark in Boston Oct 31st 2017 at 11:06 pm 7

Step 1: Can the peaches or whatever you can.

Step 2: Twenty years later, find the canned peaches on the shelves in the basement.

Step 3: Throw them out.

8. Meryl A Nov 1st 2017 at 01:10 am 8

“Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed…”

When we bought our house I went a bit country housewife crazy (although the house is the suburbs and we have a tiny plot. Robert was growing vegetables and we put in a grape arbor with grapes to run over it. (The backyard now, 29 years later is a jungle along one side and the grapes run wild and amuck through the jungle - and we now have poison ivy.)

I bought a book on canning. I made good half sour pickles, which are actually crocked,not canned. I attempted grape jam. The one half pint bottle I got was brown in color. I think because the recipe used honey instead of sugar. It tasted fair. My very brave, very young niece and nephew actually tried the jam and did not run screaming from the room to go to the hospital, but never took more than the taste. I have never tried canning again - and due to high blood pressure, the salted half sour pickles were never made again either.

The canning jars are great for storing pasta in and the large ones are useful when I used to make beef vegetable soup for Thanksgiving as I would make about 4 gallons from the recipe.

9. fleabane Nov 2nd 2017 at 01:58 am 9

“but I’ve read enough of the instructions in the “Joy of Cooking” to know that I have no interest in ever trying it.”

It’s surprisingly enjoyable and satisfying. I really like it.

10. Olivier Nov 2nd 2017 at 04:13 am 10

MiB@7: just wait 80 more years and market them as ‘Sploosh’.