So… what’s happening here is…

Cidu Bill on Oct 31st 2017

drawings.JPG

Baldo has more artistic talent than Estella does?

Of course what’s further confusing the issue is the fact that both Baldo and Estella are comic strips characters.

Filed in Baldo, Bill Bickel, CIDU, comic strips, comics, humor | 10 responses so far

10 Responses to “So… what’s happening here is…”

1. ja Oct 31st 2017 at 11:51 am 1

>>Baldo has more artistic talent than Estella does?

I can see how you could come to that conclusion. However, I think the idea here is supposed to be that Baldo sees Estella as sexy and attractive, and Estella sees Baldo as somewhat dorky.

2. fleabane Oct 31st 2017 at 12:00 pm 2

Baldo drew Estella in a typical sexy female pose and we the readers think that is just fine. And Estella drew Baldo in a similar sexy female pose and we are taken aback because Baldo is male and we become aware of our double standard??? It kind of doesn’t work because the Estella drawing is the sassy power girl pose and Baldo’s is the flouncy girly pose.

I don’t know the strip well enough but the impression I get (which I’m assuming is not the intent of the cartoonist because it is pretty sexist, mean, and pretty offensive) is that Baldo admires Estella and sees her as strong, whereas Estella sees Baldo as a wimpy feminine sissy. I really, really, really hope that was not the intent but it is what comes across.

3. Arseetoo Oct 31st 2017 at 12:20 pm 3

I’m thinking that this is the start of an ongoing story line for the week. So… this would be the set-up strip.

4. Mona Oct 31st 2017 at 12:51 pm 4

In her drawing of him, he could be scratching his head because he is clueless.
    I don’t read this strip so I don’t know the characters.

5. Arthur Oct 31st 2017 at 02:44 pm 5

It would have been good if the two characters were in the strip
    in their “real” shapes so we could compare them to the ones the
    characters drew.

6. BeckoningChasm Oct 31st 2017 at 03:41 pm 6

I think ja@1 has it, but I agree with Arthur@5 that actually seeing the characters would be helpful.

7. Brian in STL Oct 31st 2017 at 04:13 pm 7

I see the pose he gave her in the drawing as a very confident one, not overtly sexy. Even the bare midriff really is her typical look:

8. Minor Annoyance Oct 31st 2017 at 07:24 pm 8

Agree that Estrella is too visually similar to Baldo — and she really hasn’t been developed as a character, aside from from being an evidently together girl with stylish glasses. Have she and Baldo ever fought or even disagreed over anything?

Baldo’s first girlfriend was Smiley, a cute well-meaning blonde who wore overalls and tried — clumsily — to be culturally aware (”How was your Sabado? Was it Gigante?”). After an unexplained absence she reappeared, briefly, as a chilly valley girl and was never seen again.

Then there was a pretty coworker at Auto Y Rod, and for a very long time they were alllllllmost … But she and some other coworkers were laid off and there was a brief, sad farewell. I thought they’d bring her back to liven things up when Baldo started going with the hipper Estrella.

Of course, Baldo’s one real passion is someday owning a custom car.

9. Bob in Nashville Oct 31st 2017 at 10:11 pm 9

Ja nailed it on the first comment. Nothing more to add to that, other than possibly that she also sees him as pencil thin out of shape.

10. Kilby Nov 1st 2017 at 05:15 am 10

One thing that I dislike about “Baldo” is the way that all the characters have permanent open-mouth grins, but I suppose I shouldn’t complain. Not only does this strip have two grin-free panels, but the stupid grins in the third & fourth panels are at least partially covered by the drawings. Then again, both of those drawings have the same signature grins. Oh well.