Arlowe’en

Cidu Bill on Oct 31st 2017

arloween.JPG

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Halloween, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 9 responses so far

9 Responses to “Arlowe’en”

1. Arthur Oct 31st 2017 at 12:10 am 1

It holds candy. They might need it for Halloween. They didn’t
    need it for the previous 10 Halloweens, but you never know.

2. James Pollock Oct 31st 2017 at 01:02 am 2

Halloween is the one time you might need an UGLY candy dish. A scary, creepy, awful candy dish that you wouldn’t ordinarily use or display.
    People save things they might need later. When this is done to extreme excess, you get a hoarder. When it’s just done to ordinary excess, you get a house that suffers from clutter.
    I’ve a tendency towards clutter, but recently did MAJOR re-evaluation of what things I was actually likely to ever need again. (Empty nest). Some things I gave away to people who might actually need them. Some things I gave away to anyone who’d take them. Some things I paid perfectly good money to leave in a landfill. Some things I kept. Do I REALLY need the number of computers I kept? No. But the number of kitchen things I was keeping was excessive, considering I haven’t cooked on a stove for more than four years. The likelihood that I will need to provide for a dozen place settings simultaneously? I evaluated those odds as nil. If I need to feed that many people at the same time, it is most likely that a restaurant or caterer will be involved (I have a daughter, she plans to get married, elopement was considered and rejected (before I was consulted on the topic.))

3. Andréa Oct 31st 2017 at 01:26 am 3

This entire A & J week of strips was a personal synchronicity, as we are downsizing (in stuff, not in house size) . . . I haven’t yet found the microphone that I’m sure is hidden in my house, somewhere . . .

4. Terrence Feenstra Oct 31st 2017 at 07:41 am 4

Reverse the roles and you’re exactly in my marriage.

5. Terrence Feenstra Oct 31st 2017 at 07:44 am 5

My dear wife has a clock radio that is at least 40 years old (we’ve been married for 35). When I said it should go I was told, “It’s the first thing I ever bought with my own money!”

I threw it out - as far as a high shelf in the garage. Just one of her foibles that makes me love her even more.

6. Blinky the Wonder Wombat Oct 31st 2017 at 10:03 am 6

@Terrence Feenstra-

What a cute story. Sounds like you have a great marriage.

7. zbicyclist Oct 31st 2017 at 02:47 pm 7

We downsized two years ago. I remember many, many discussions of this type.

Too soon. Not funny yet. :)

8. chakolate Oct 31st 2017 at 10:17 pm 8

Just FYI, does everybody know about FreeCycle? You post things you don’t want, people ask for them, you pick the one you want to get it, and that person is responsible for taking it away. Most towns of any size have a FreeCycle group.

Friends were looking at hiring three guys and a truck to haul their perfectly good but no longer wanted sofa bed to the dump, but they posted it on FreeCycle, and the next day it was whisked away with hardly any effort, and no expense, on their part.

The main purpose is to keep stuff out of the landfill, but I use it to get stuff out of my house.

Sorry if this is old news to everybody.

9. Meryl A Nov 1st 2017 at 01:01 am 9

I try to get rid of stuff - we have a lot of stuff. I won’t get rid of anything of his without asking and getting permission, but the problem is that if I say I am getting rid of something of mine, he insists I need to keep it.

So I have started becoming a more or less regular visitor at Goodwill (as the Salvation Army closed their store/drop off center near us as did Big Brothers Big Sisters) on the day each month I get to go out alone to my embroidery meeting. Last month I packed up 5 dresses/2 piece outfits and a trench coat I forgot I had to donate - I had to sneak them out of the house or he would have insisted I keep all of them.

Next I have to work on getting rid of wedding gifts never used and never will be, and also excess serving pieces, ditto, that we bought in the early years - especially since we no longer have people in the house since the bedbugs. Unfortunately I am missing this month’s meeting (and day out) as we are in Lancaster, PA and may miss next month as we may be in Williamsburg, VA.