God only knows what God’s talking about here…

Cidu Bill on Oct 28th 2017

fine.JPG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cornered, Mike Baldwin, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “God only knows what God’s talking about here…”

1. Jon Delfin Oct 28th 2017 at 10:55 am 1

God is an atheist?

2. Dave Van Domelen Oct 28th 2017 at 11:15 am 2

Evening prayer is supposed to be a time of unburdening your conscience and concerns before going to sleep, a mix of informal confession and requests for intercessions. He’s in a hurry, so his prayer amounts to “Everything’s fine, thanks God,” and God calls him out on his BS.

3. John Small Berries Oct 28th 2017 at 11:17 am 3

The guy only bothers praying when there’s something he wants. I can only presume he started his prayer with something like “Dear God, how are you? I am fine.”

4. BeckoningChasm Oct 28th 2017 at 02:49 pm 4

This seems like husband-wife dialogue. The husband asks, “How are you?” and the wife says “Fine,” and the husband now knows something is really, really wrong.

5. turquoisecow Oct 28th 2017 at 06:21 pm 5

I agree with John Small Berries @ 3, but I’ve not yet come across any prayers in which one starts by telling God that they’re “fine”.

Maybe something more like a prayer of thanks? “Thanks for making my life wonderful, God…” God is therefore calling him out on his BS as Dave says @ 2.

The word “Fine” seems off, though.

6. Bob Oct 28th 2017 at 09:26 pm 6

Maybe he was a member of the Five Man Electrical Band?

7. Cidu Bill Oct 28th 2017 at 10:22 pm 7

“Are you there, God? It’s me, Larry”

8. James Pollock Oct 29th 2017 at 12:46 am 8

“I’ve not yet come across any prayers in which one starts by telling God that they’re ‘fine’.”

I’m not an expert by any means, but I can see where you might start off by saying things are “fine” as they are as a way of saying “I’m not greedy, but…”

But with that out of the way, why are you assuming that this guy’s prayers started with him saying he’s fine? For all we know, there was a 45-minute conversation that preceded this bit.

9. Daniel J. Drazen Oct 29th 2017 at 08:15 am 9

Prayer can be the equivalent of “You only call home to ask for money!”

10. larK Oct 29th 2017 at 10:56 am 10

Wait, Bill, are you saying Larry Fine was an atheist? God knows Larry wouldn’t be talking to Him?

11. J Morrison Oct 29th 2017 at 09:03 pm 11

You cannot petition the lord with prayer!

12. tigalilee Oct 30th 2017 at 08:04 am 12

A lot of people only stop to pray when they’re in trouble. Like when your adult kid calls for money. LOL