It is? Is fear of LinkedIn even a thing??

Cidu Bill on Oct 27th 2017

scary.JPG

Then again, most of my LinkedIn requests come from Seattle-area real estate agents.

Filed in Bill Bickel, Brevity, LinkedIn, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “It is? Is fear of LinkedIn even a thing??”

1. Ted from Ft. Laud Oct 27th 2017 at 07:15 pm 1

I don’t know if this is still a big thing (I don’t get them much anymore), but there was a stretch when I was inundated by LinkedIn invites. There was irritation at this rather than than fear, but perhaps some people feel a need to respond to such invites, and fear having to do so, one way or the other?

2. Bob Oct 27th 2017 at 10:47 pm 2

I agree with Ted - more irritation than fear.

3. larK Oct 27th 2017 at 11:06 pm 3

Late stage capitalism.

4. Brent Oct 27th 2017 at 11:28 pm 4

I know I got irritated almost immediately after signing up to LinkedIn. Started deleting messages unread, and shortly the mail server decided that it was spam. And I was fine with it. Still, every couple years someone contacts me directly to ask why I’m ignoring their connection requests and I have to explain that I never see them. So there is a small amount of dread that it’s due to happen again soon. I should probably just stop being lazy, see if I can get back into the account and kill it off proper. ‘Tis the season for killing undead monsters after all.

5. Arthur Oct 28th 2017 at 12:28 am 5

Brent, I clicked on the e-mail link to turn off Linkedin
    e-mails. It took me to a page which said, approximately, “I
    don’t like your browser or its settings, so I’m not going to
    stop sending you e-mails you don’t want. Nyah.”

6. Kilby Oct 28th 2017 at 01:34 am 6

@ Brent (4) - “‘Tis the season for killing undead monsters after all.

Very true. I killed off my Twitter account right after they decided to double the bandwidth for propagatable stupidity (from 140 to 280 characters).

7. Keera Oct 28th 2017 at 05:18 am 7

LinkedIn had* a UX just confusing enough that I ended up sending invites to everyone in my address book. I haven’t dared touch LinkedIn since…
    *) so I don’t know if the interface has improved.

8. Carl Oct 28th 2017 at 09:08 am 8

I’m with the crowd on this one. More irritated than afraid of the stream of “like to connect” messages.

9. chuckers Oct 28th 2017 at 09:20 am 9

LinkedIn keeps asking for me to upload my contacts to its database so I can connect to people more easily.

Ain’t gonna happen.

10. Brian in STL Oct 28th 2017 at 06:01 pm 10

I’ve had at least a few where they were from people I know. I sent a personal response along the lines of, “I have an account but I’ve never set up a profile and I don’t use it.” Sometimes the reply to that was, “Somehow I sent out a link request to all my contacts but I didn’t mean it.”

11. Kilby Oct 29th 2017 at 02:46 am 11

The same kind of nonsense goes on with Facebook. I got so tired of the bulk invitations from various friends and relatives that I set up an account to act as a “tar pit”. I log into it about once a year, just to see if there are any interesting messages, but it’s generally just a waste of time.

12. Powers Oct 29th 2017 at 10:04 am 12

Guys, you’re all missing the point.

The fear here is of receiving a LinkedIn invitation from a specific someone who you really didn’t want to ever hear from again — either that annoying dude at work or a former boss … or a former underling. So you’re left with the paralyzing choice between acknowledging the invite and potentially having people ask you about her (since she’s now part of your network) or ignoring the invite and having to explain why you didn’t accept it the next time you see her.

13. Meryl A Nov 1st 2017 at 01:39 am 13

Linked in for awhile was supposedly pulling members’ email address books and sending invitations to all of them. (I won’t say they really were, but people sent me invitations who said they did not.) I know they told my sister I was a member and she asked to me to join as a result. I was never a member nor did I ever even contact them about anything.

Pretty scary to have one’s email address book and sent out to people for both the sender and the recipient?

14. Olivier Nov 2nd 2017 at 04:40 am 14

I joined at the very beginning and unsubscribed as soon as I started getting invitations from people I didn’t know (very soon : I’m not into these social media things, I just wanted to try one). Worked very well for me : never heard from them since.