Wouldn’t she have already figured this out?

Cidu Bill on Oct 26th 2017

werewolf.JPG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Mike Peters, Mother Goose and Grimm, comic strips, comics, humor | 19 responses so far

19 Responses to “Wouldn’t she have already figured this out?”

1. John Small Berries Oct 26th 2017 at 02:40 pm 1

I was going to object that he doesn’t say he turns into a wolf, but into a werewolf - which means that, on the full moon, he turns into someone who turns into a wolf during a full moon (LYCANTHROCEPTION!), but then I noticed that he doesn’t say “turn into a werewolf”, but “turn in to a werewolf”.

Perhaps he’s using “turn in” in the sense of “surrender” - that on the full moon, he turns himself in to another werewolf (maybe to keep him from rampaging out in the world), and therefore can’t go on dates with her during that time?

2. Folly Oct 26th 2017 at 02:47 pm 2

Maybe it just happened and she hadn’t looked up from her phone yet.

3. New-ish Guy Oct 26th 2017 at 03:29 pm 3

He’s doubly cursed: not only is he the Beast (from Beauty and the Beast), but he’s also a werewolf.

I can’t imagine just how much fur he sheds around his apartment.

4. James Pollock Oct 26th 2017 at 04:59 pm 4

A man who turns into a werewolf becomes a wolf at the full moon.

A wolf who turns into a werewolf becomes a man at the full moon.

You guys are thinking he’s one of these, but he’s actually the other.

5. BeckoningChasm Oct 26th 2017 at 05:41 pm 5

I’m wondering why her chief worry is the availability of wi-fi. I’m thinking this relationship is going to be so short-lived that it won’t be measurable.

6. Ian D Osmond Oct 26th 2017 at 07:16 pm 6

Right now, he’s a wolfman. Since she’s into wolfmen, she’ll be disappointed on full moons, when he just turns into a normal guy who turns into a wolfman at times that there aren’t full moons.

7. turquoisecow Oct 26th 2017 at 08:44 pm 7

After reading the comments, I’m more confused than when I originally looked at the comic.

I thought this site was supposed to work the other way around?

8. Mark in Boston Oct 27th 2017 at 12:01 am 8

Here is what happens when a wolf turns into a werewolf.

9. Olivier Oct 27th 2017 at 04:00 am 9

I’m with Folly @2 on this one : it is a full moon and the guy is just stating the obvious. The woman is only concerned about the Wi-Fi because without it, she’ll turn into a google-deprived mutant http://www.bugmartini.com/comic/y2kreatures/

10. Mark Jackson Oct 27th 2017 at 08:04 am 10

From the multiple small tables they’re clearly in a restaurant, not in his apartment - yet. Dude, the message that she wants to skip dinner couldn’t be more obvious.

11. Powers Oct 27th 2017 at 10:21 am 11

A wolf who turns into a man is a wolfwere, not a werewolf.

12. Daniel J. Drazen Oct 27th 2017 at 10:48 am 12

LARRY TALBOT: “At night, when the moon is full, I turn into a wolf.”
    LOU COSTELLO: “You and twenty million other guys.”

“Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein”

13. Cidu Bill Oct 27th 2017 at 01:30 pm 13

Powers, wouldn’t he be a wereman?

14. Ted from Ft. Laud Oct 27th 2017 at 07:03 pm 14

“Were” is from Old English for man, with similar forms in other Germanic languages. Probably from a very old root, as it probably is related to the Latin “vir” (which I was taught to pronounce the same as the “were” in werewolf).

15. Cidu Bill Oct 27th 2017 at 07:08 pm 15

Ah. Live and learn.

That means, I guess, that the whole concept of a were-rabbit is no longer logical.

16. Kilby Oct 28th 2017 at 02:11 am 16

@ Ted (14) - In German, the creature is spelled “Werwolf“, and there is an amusing poem (by Christian Morgenstern) that plays on the fact that the word “wer?” means “who?” in modern German. In the poem, a werewolf asks to be “conjugated” (only grammatically), producing in turn »der Werwolf« (nominative),
»des Weswolfs« (possessive),
»dem Wemwolf« (dative), and
»den Wenwolf« (accusative), each term having the correspondingly modified German word for “who?”. Finally, the werewolf asks for the plural forms (because he has a wife and kid), but is disappointed to learn that in German, “who” is exclusively a singular term.

P.S. This as opposed to English, in which one can say “he who has“, but also “those who have“.

17. Ted from Ft. Laud Oct 28th 2017 at 01:20 pm 17

There is also Young Frankenstein, which plays off the pronunciation of werewolf as “where wolf” with the “Werewolf? There wolf.” bit.

And Bill, while I’m not sure that a were-rabbit is logical, I don’t see why any of this makes it less logical. If it is that Wallace turns into a rabbit - well, there are all kinds of human=>animal transformation myths and stories in different countries/cultures. I haven’t seen rabbit listed, but it wouldn’t be completely out of line.

18. BeckoningChasm Oct 28th 2017 at 02:52 pm 18

Obligatory:
    “Werewolf?”
    “There! There wolf!”

19. Mark in Boston Oct 28th 2017 at 08:01 pm 19

Oh where, oh where has my werewolf gone? Oh where, oh where can he be?