Strange Ghosts

Cidu Bill on Oct 26th 2017

oct26-strange-ghosts.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, John Deering, Strange Bew, comic strips, comics, humor | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Strange Ghosts”

1. Arthur Oct 26th 2017 at 12:09 am 1

Normally, ghost hunters just to find if there are ghosts in a
    given location. This one finds them, kills them (for some value
    of “kill”), and mounts their heads like big game hunters do.

2. Cidu Bill Oct 26th 2017 at 01:15 am 2

What about the Grim Reaper’s head?

3. fleabane Oct 26th 2017 at 01:18 am 3

There is a television show called “Ghost Hunters”. One of the main guys look like that guy.

Hunters mount heads on walls so if the hunter is a “Ghost Hunter”, he would mount the head of ghosts on the wall.

This seems to be the type of joke one would might come up with if one had never experienced humor and but is vaguely aware that there is a concept that should obey abstract rules. It’s as though the comics page is editted by Discworld’s Bloody Stupid Johnson.

4. fleabane Oct 26th 2017 at 01:22 am 4

The Grim Reaper is a ghost. … He certainly isn’t alive.

I don’t think it’s the grim reaper per se. I think it’s just a variety of of ghost. Trouble is the first two look too generic and the third one too specific. It’s jarring.

5. James Pollock Oct 26th 2017 at 05:00 am 5

“What about the Grim Reaper’s head?”

Nothing about any of these heads says “Grim Reaper” to me.

(To me, it’s the scythe that says “reaper”. YMMV.)

6. Powers Oct 26th 2017 at 10:02 am 6

Those top two look like standard class 2 free-roaming vapors. Or, rather, the sheets they wear to be visible.

The bottom one could be a class 4 but probably a class 5. Maybe a class 7, but I’m not convinced this dude could handle one of those. Though, again, the trophy is likely just the mundane physical accouterments the specter cloaked himself with while manifesting on our plane.

7. Bookworm Oct 26th 2017 at 12:29 pm 7

This was an LOL for me. He not only hunts ghosts (with all that the word “hunting” implies, i.e. killing and mounting heads), he’s successfully hunted the Grim Reaper, too.

8. fleabane Oct 26th 2017 at 04:55 pm 8

I don’t think it’s a grim reaper so much as the standard wraith.

9. James Pollock Oct 26th 2017 at 05:04 pm 9

They would have got away with it, too, if not for those pesky kids.

This is Shaggy in his later years.

10. Onnie Oct 26th 2017 at 06:55 pm 10

It’s the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come. Doesn’t anybody read Dickens anymore?

11. Kilby Oct 26th 2017 at 09:56 pm 11

@ Onnie (10) - I recently started reading the left side of a dual (German+English) edition of “A Christmas Carol”, but I haven’t gotten to the last ghost yet.

P.S. I was surprised at how “current” the text reads. Sure, there are plenty of “dated” expressions, but I was expecting the language to be much more difficult to weed through.

12. Olivier Oct 27th 2017 at 02:53 am 12

Onnie @10 & Kilby @11: a few years ago, I was at a flea market with my sister and picked up the book, quickly found the page about the ghost that ‘had a dismal light about it, like a bad lobster in a dark cellar’ and started reading aloud, to the amazement of all around and my sister said:”you’re making that up”! Lol.

13. Mark in Boston Oct 27th 2017 at 08:35 pm 13

Olivier: Better yet if she had said “Walk-ER!”

14. Olivier Oct 30th 2017 at 04:21 am 14

Great. Now, I’ll have to check how that was translated.
    Here : https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Conte_de_No%C3%ABl_(Dickens)/Cantique_de_No%C3%ABl/5 “farceur”. Correct but a bit disappointing.

15. Meryl A Nov 2nd 2017 at 11:23 pm 15

Kilby - I think I posted last night that I have been rereading some Louisa May Alcott books. She died in 1888, so the books are, obviously written before that. Reading them as a 63 year old is rather different than reading them as a preteen. I look at the language differently to see what words and phrases are used then compared to now. It is amazing how common they all are - at least to someone who has been reading since 1960.

This is true in reenacting the 1700s also. Many phrases and words that one would figure are more modern date back at least that far. The hardest part of reading items printed in the 1700s is the difference in the actual printing. Robert has been reprinting some period pamphlets and when one someone purchases one they get a page to help them read the pamphlet. The biggest difference is the use of the long s - this is a letter that to modern eyes looks like a lower case f, but is slightly different than same.