Phantom of the Opry?

Cidu Bill on Oct 23rd 2017

strange-singer.JPG

Missing a caption?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, John Deering, Streange Brew, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Phantom of the Opry?”

1. Arthur Oct 23rd 2017 at 12:06 am 1

When I saw it, I thought the same as your title. I think it’s
    obvious enough that using it as a caption would make some people
    deride it as redundant.

2. James Pollock Oct 23rd 2017 at 12:16 am 2

I would suggest that it isn’t “Phantom of the Opry” because that’s a guitar, not a banjo. YMMV. Your stereotypes may differ, as well.

3. Arthur Oct 23rd 2017 at 12:30 am 3

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ole_Opry#Controversies :
    “Though the Opry allowed electric guitars and steel guitars by World War II”…

4. DemetriosX Oct 23rd 2017 at 05:35 am 4

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an Opry version of Phantom. It seems fairly obvious. Maybe the disaster that was the rock version, Phantom of the Paradise, put a crimp in any country version.

5. James Pollock Oct 23rd 2017 at 01:10 pm 5

“Maybe the disaster that was the rock version, Phantom of the Paradise, put a crimp in any country version.”

Surely you’re not overlooking “KISS meets the Phantom of the Park”???

6. DemetriosX Oct 23rd 2017 at 03:21 pm 6

Surely you’re not overlooking “KISS meets the Phantom of the Park”???

That is a thing I had been blissfully unaware of. But then I’ve got years of experience at automatically tuning out anything associated with KISS. On the other hand, I actually saw Paul Williams attempting to be menacing and evil on the big screen. My parents must have dragged me to that one, since I would have been 12.

7. James Pollock Oct 23rd 2017 at 05:30 pm 7

Made for TV. By Hanna-Barbara. And all that that suggests, is true.

8. Mark in Boston Oct 23rd 2017 at 09:03 pm 8

Well, there is a Bluegrass Opry version of The Who’s rock opera “Tommy”, so Phantom should be next.

9. ja Oct 24th 2017 at 12:45 am 9

One would think that an acoustic guitar would have been a better pick for this joke than that rather strange looking electric guitar. Or if you wanted a electric guitar, a Fender Telecaster.

Not that it has anything to do with the joke, but “Deering” is a respected maker of banjos.

10. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:02 am 10

Cissy Spacek - who of course played Loretta Lynn of Opry fame, worked in production on “Phantom of the Paradise” with her husband Jack Fisk.

11. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:03 am 11

Oh, and it is drums that were not allowed on stage on the Opry, but now they are, I believe.

12. Ian D Osmond Oct 24th 2017 at 09:14 pm 12

If we can all figure out what the caption would be, I think that they are right to leave it off.

13. Cidu Bill Oct 24th 2017 at 11:17 pm 13

Ian, I agree: yet I was still surprised it was left off.

I’ve often thought about adding a “superfluous caption” tag.