Sunday Funnies: LOL, October 22, 2017

Cidu Bill on Oct 22nd 2017

plagiarism.JPG

b-and-c-salt.GIF

bizarro-left-early.JPG

mark-that-blockage.PNG

priceless-cinderella.PNG

Filed in Barney & Clyde, Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Comics That Made Us Laugh Out Loud, Dave Coverly, Mark Parisi, Off the Mark, Speed Bump, That is Priceless, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 23 responses so far

23 Responses to “Sunday Funnies: LOL, October 22, 2017”

1. mitch4 Oct 22nd 2017 at 01:17 am 1

Ha ha heh! [That was the transcription of me laughing]

And I’m glad to see the Speedbump here, as I really didn’t see the joke when I viewed the cartoon earlier. Not that it left me puzzled, which would be okay, but that I accepted a shrug of a non-joke — merely in the contrast of the two convicts’ crimes. I overlooked the telling detail!

2. James Pollock Oct 22nd 2017 at 02:58 am 2

Actually, I think the Speed Bump joke would have worked better if the second convict were an obvious cut&paste of the first convict.
    Alas, jobs for comic editors are pretty few and far between.

3. Pete Oct 22nd 2017 at 05:32 am 3

You don’t go to prison for plagiarism. Maybe it should have been copycat crimes.

4. Chip Oct 22nd 2017 at 08:16 am 4

Or perhaps forgery?

5. Chip Oct 22nd 2017 at 08:17 am 5

Bizarro is pretty good

6. mitch4 Oct 22nd 2017 at 08:49 am 6

Then, counterfeiting maybe?

7. mitch4 Oct 22nd 2017 at 08:57 am 7

Sorry, Chip, I missed your #4.

8. Carl Fink Oct 22nd 2017 at 09:43 am 8

Identity theft.

9. Joseph K. Oct 22nd 2017 at 04:21 pm 9

Bizarro is a CIDU for me. Never heard of cops handcuffing (and chaining) folks to a table (?). Anyone?

10. Greybeard Oct 22nd 2017 at 05:06 pm 10

Joseph K: I have heard of it. Have not experienced it myself, however.

Seems common sense if they’re going to leave a perp in an interrogation room.

11. James Pollock Oct 22nd 2017 at 05:18 pm 11

“Never heard of cops handcuffing (and chaining) folks to a table (?). Anyone?”

When they want to interrogate someone, and that someone is physically dangerous, they can attach the suspect to the table in the interrogation room. (There are several things that make an interrogation room an interrogation room. One, familiar to everyone who’s ever watched a cop show on TV, is the one-way glass with an observation gallery behind it. But another is that the table is often permanently attached to the floor as well as having hardware to attach restraints to. It’s rarely used… usually people have calmed down by the time they’re being interviewed, and most of them will have asked for a lawyer by then.)

12. Powers Oct 22nd 2017 at 09:54 pm 12

If the cook minds being told about the salt, why did she go ahead and add some?

13. Arthur Oct 22nd 2017 at 10:41 pm 13

If the cook minds being told about the salt, why did she go ahead and add some?

I was confused about that, too. I eventually figured that she
    minds, but he’s still the boss.

14. Mark in Boston Oct 22nd 2017 at 11:14 pm 14

We see convict 13625A and 13625A, but where is convict 13625?

15. James Pollock Oct 22nd 2017 at 11:31 pm 15

“If the cook minds being told about the salt, why did she go ahead and add some?”

The customer is always right.

Later on, the dish will be presented at the table. Cook doesn’t want to be told AGAIN that it needs salt.

16. Vulcan with a Mullet Oct 23rd 2017 at 10:51 am 16

That is definitely a richly imagined and drawn house decor for what is basically a one-off gag note in Bizarro. He’s too good an artist for this kind of thing!

17. Kilby Oct 23rd 2017 at 03:07 pm 17

@ MiB (14) - He’s probably off having lunch with 13625B.

P.S. German houses are numbered consecutively, starting with “1″ at one end of the street. This means there are no “open” numbers if a house is later added between two other houses, or is a property is subdivided to create multiple units. The standard distinction is to start adding letters to the previous house number, so after 15 comes 15A, then 15B, etc. We have friends whose house has a “G”. Their neighbors have “H”, but I’m not sure whether the last house in that number’s run is “I”, or “J” (to avoid confusion, just like “Eye Str.” In D.C.)

18. James Pollock Oct 23rd 2017 at 05:36 pm 18

Does Germany have that thing where a street might be entirely missing for several (or several dozen) blocks, but the addressing gods just pretend that these two, unconnected streets really are one and the same street? (I’m thinking of the way such streets DO exist in the U.S., and imagining neighbors, at 15 Interrupted Lane and 16 Interrupted Lane who live miles away from each other.)
    Or is that something American city planners do that European city planners don’t do, because the European cities are all so much older?

19. Cidu Bill Oct 23rd 2017 at 05:47 pm 19

James. I’ve seen that here as well, and I always assumed that Interrupted Lane was at one time Unbroken Lane, and then the town decided to build Interrupted Park (featuring a statue of the town’s founder, Josiah Interrupted in the middle of it.

20. James Pollock Oct 23rd 2017 at 07:34 pm 20

We don’t get those (where there’s a chance the two streets were actually one) or rather, when we do get those, they get handled differently. Portland was a frontier town, built out of wilderness, so the early roads when in more-or-less straight lines between things that people wanted to travel between, except in the hills, where they had to wind. But those old windy roads were frequently subject to washout, so over time, we tended to improve those by heavy construction, producing slightly-less twisty, slightly more level roads between each construction cycle. Sometimes, a washout would require a completely new path to be plotted through the hills, and a new road constructed on the new path. But… there were still homes and occasionally businesses on the old path, so the two parts of the old road were maintained, as well. Sometimes they just decided to cut a new road through because a bendy, twisty road can’t take long vehicles on it, such as buses or semi-trucks so we’d pay however millions of dollars to cut a road through the hills that was straight enough to let semis use them. As a child, I lived for a year just off the main branch of US 101, in an area that was scattered with spurs, each of which was labeled as “Old Highway 101 Road” (or something similar). On the northern Oregon coast, those tend to be closed loops, so you can leave the main highway and see things that aren’t important enough to be on the highway any more. On the southern Oregon coast, they tend to be spurs that lead into the forest and then abruptly end.

There is a substantial population of retirees in southern Oregon, drawn by the low cost of living including almost nonexistent property taxes. Public services, including road maintenance, reflects this. Leaving the federal highway system can be hazardous.

21. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:14 am 21

Around here each community numbers separately. I used to work at 100 Merrick Road (on the south side of the road) in Rockville Centre. Husband worked, East of there at 205 West Merrick Road in Freeport - also on the south side of the road. My sister and her husband lived between us at 437 Merrick Road, Oceanside - also on the south side of the road.

When we used to sell our crafts through a few local stores, one had an address like 24 Merrick Avenue (this is a totally different street than Merrick Road). I had trouble finding her the first time as all the other businesses had 4 digit addresses.

Our house is about 1000 off in number from the house directly across the street from us - they are in a different community. There are 15 houses from our community that jut into the road and are numbered differently from the rest - and in the middle of same is one house whose number matches the sequence of the other community. When we first moved in there was no GPS or cell phones. I would get a call from a delivery man or repair man “Hi, I am at an Amoco station” I would break in and say “They didn’t give you the directions did they.”

GPS does not always understand this.

22. Olivier Oct 25th 2017 at 05:46 am 22

Reminds me of the first time I went to the Dark Carnival bookstore in Berkeley. I went all the way to the DMV in Oakland before finding out that Claremont avenue crosses from one city into the other and the numbers go opposite ways. In France, it works like Kilby explained for Germany @17.

23. DemetriosX Oct 25th 2017 at 02:38 pm 23

@James (18): Generally speaking, German roads don’t have those gaps. In fact, it’s far more common for a road to change names abruptly, even within the same town or the same part of town, without crossing a river or a major square. Just because. For this reason, addresses rarely get into the low 3-digits. The exception to this is with the major thoroughfares. Those come in 3 varieties: the Bundesstrasse (federal road), the Landesstrasse (state road), and the Kreisstrasse (county road). Those are usually just known by the applicable letter and a number, but they may take a name when passing through a town and go back to the number when they leave it again. This is similar to, for example, Route 66 becoming Huntington Drive somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley. I assume it takes names in other towns as well.