Strange Endings

Cidu Bill on Oct 20th 2017

strange-endings.JPG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, John Deering, Strange Brew, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Strange Endings”

1. Arthur Oct 20th 2017 at 12:28 am 1

Red lips = lipstick = female. She kissed a frog, turned into
    one, and isn’t happy about it.

2. Cidu Bill Oct 20th 2017 at 12:35 am 2

The “I don’t know about you…” doesn’t really scan then.

3. Weird Beard Oct 20th 2017 at 01:14 am 3

The witch and the frog are ex-lovers, and the frog is hoping to reconcile, if for no other reason than to be turned back into a human.

4. mitch4 Oct 20th 2017 at 01:14 am 4

Hmm, I think the red is just mouth-interior.

My reading is that the frog was until recently human, and was dating the woman (witch). They broke it off, and as part of that she put the curse on him that turned him into the frog. Which is the aspect of how things ended between them that he is not entirely comfortable with.

5. Seth Oct 20th 2017 at 01:18 am 5

I thought the frog was a former (human) romantic partner. When the relationship ended, the witch turned the former partner into a frog. Said act of turning the former partner into a frog being the ending of the relationship.

Note, the above reading does not depend on the gender-identity presented (or formerly so) by the frog.

6. James Pollock Oct 20th 2017 at 02:08 am 6

One of the parts of the story that never gets explained is why the witch turned the handsome prince into a frog in the first place. We just start the story with the frog-prince hopping around looking for some hot tongue action.
    This cartoon fills in that gap.

Now we just have to figure out why the witch’s spell can be broken by just any babe willing to pucker up, and isn’t specific to HER deciding to forgive. Maybe that’s tomorrow’s installment.

7. DemetriosX Oct 20th 2017 at 06:16 am 7

I’m with Mitch and Seth, though I saw it as a bad date, not the end of a relationship.

@JP: That’s the bowdlerized version. In the original Grimm version, the frog tries to get a lot more than just a kiss. The princess isn’t having any of that and flings him against a wall, whereupon he turns back into a prince. So maybe the witch invited him back to her place and he rather ungraciously turned her down. She cursed him to be a frog until he finds out what his rejection felt like to her.

8. Mark M Oct 20th 2017 at 09:52 am 8

The theory presented by Mitch4 and Seth seems reasonable, except that you usually don’t have a candlelight dinner with someone you’re no longer in a relationship with. My first thought was that they were both turned into something else after being normal people, but I can’t make any sense of that either.

9. James Pollock Oct 20th 2017 at 11:14 am 9

“you usually don’t have a candlelight dinner with someone you’re no longer in a relationship with.”

The dialogue refers to “how it ended”. You usually don’t have conversations with people about “how it ended” before it has ended.

The lighting is candles because electric lights haven’t been invented yet. There were a lot more non-romantic candle-lit meals back when candles represented 100% of the non-daylight lighting options.

10. dd Oct 20th 2017 at 03:38 pm 10

Weird Beard solved all those problems before Seth and Mitch even cimmented. I’m on WB’s team.

11. Mark in Boston Oct 21st 2017 at 12:31 am 11

I don’t know. I’d think being a frog would be more fun than living with a witch.

12. James Pollock Oct 21st 2017 at 02:53 am 12

“I’d think being a frog would be more fun than living with a witch.”

I suppose that would depend on whether or not you lived somewhere that people ate frogs.

Perhaps I’ve oversimplified.

13. Kilby Oct 21st 2017 at 07:18 am 13

@ DemetrioX (7) - To be fair to the Grimm’s, their version it still fairly “clean”. Officially, all the frog demands is a piece of the bed, which isn’t necessarily a piece of the princess.

14. Mark in Boston Oct 21st 2017 at 07:13 pm 14

How much fun being a human is depends on whether or not you live somewhere that people kill other people, so I guess it’s six and a half of one, half a baker’s dozen of the other.