“Longer”? As in “The part of your life that’s already passed is longer”?

Cidu Bill on Oct 20th 2017

longer.JPG

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 29 responses so far

29 Responses to ““Longer”? As in “The part of your life that’s already passed is longer”?”

1. JHGRedekop Oct 20th 2017 at 02:35 pm 1

“Longer” as in “I have lived longer than I had yesterday”, and “shorter” as in “The time I have left is shorter than it was yesterday”.

This They Might Be Giants song covers it: https://youtu.be/TdIRrmNN_CQ?t=28s

2. Cidu Bill Oct 20th 2017 at 02:53 pm 2

I’m not sure how “I have lived longer than I had yesterday” can be construed as optimism.

3. James Pollock Oct 20th 2017 at 02:54 pm 3

If you look at another day lived as another day in your life, you have a different outlook than if you look at another day lived as another day closer to death.

4. Winter Wallaby Oct 20th 2017 at 03:09 pm 4

When you turn 50 (for example) do you say “Wow, I made it to 50 in good health, great,” or “Not much time left now.”

5. Scott Oct 20th 2017 at 03:39 pm 5

When you start to see celebrities dying who are younger than you, it makes you feel you’ve lived a long time and it is getting longer.

Of course there is a down slide, as show by Tom Lehrer when he said “It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years.” (And more than two when said at later performances.)

6. Minor Annoyance Oct 20th 2017 at 05:07 pm 6

By chance saw an old Roz Chast cartoon yesterday. Over the shoulder of a newspaper reader, we see an obit page with headlines like, “EXACTLY YOUR AGE”; “Ten Years Older Than You”; “Two Years Younger”; “Not That Much Older”; etc.

7. Mark in Boston Oct 21st 2017 at 12:26 am 7

I was just telling someone the other day, “If Abraham Lincoln were still alive, he’d probably be dead by now.”

8. billybob Oct 21st 2017 at 01:08 am 8

Longer, as in ignoring the facts to take comfort in optimism. Woody Allen: “I recently turned 60 years old. Practically a third of my life is over.”

9. Singapore Bill Oct 21st 2017 at 01:22 am 9

Well, the optimistic way to look at the “longer” reference is that I have lived another day longer and learned and experienced more than I had yesterday. Personally, I try to look at each day as “I’m younger than I’ll be again, so make the most of it.” If only work didn’t suck so much of it away, I could make that work.

10. Keera Oct 21st 2017 at 06:45 am 10

Well, honestly, I hadn’t thought about being happy I’ve been around for this long (vs. thinking about my ever shorter future), but it may be the better approach.

11. Kilby Oct 21st 2017 at 07:22 am 11

@ Keera - Welcome back. It seems like ages since I’ve seen a comment from you.

P.S. I hope it wasn’t something I said. ;-)

12. Mitch4 Oct 21st 2017 at 09:33 am 12

I love all the associations this thread is bringing out!
    Winter’s phrasing in #4 brings to mind George Carlin’s bit on the expressions used for “turning” or “hitting” or just being “into” different ages.

13. narmitaj Oct 21st 2017 at 04:23 pm 13

The advantage us oldies have over 2the 0-somethings is that we have already seen Beirut in the 1960s, the Great Wall of China and Tiananmen Square and the bicylces of Beijing in the 1980s, the pyramids of Giza, Machu Picchu, newspapers announcing the death of Chairman Mao in New York in September 1976, a public beheading in Jeddah in 1994, and so on and so forth. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate, even. But your random 20-something might be run over by a bus tomorrow. So a past life well lived is money in the bank*, as it were. The future for a young’un COULD be 500 years, or might more likely be 25 minutes.

*Of course, the bank doesn’t even exist and you can’t take your deposits with you, not even your bigger store of memories.

14. James Pollock Oct 21st 2017 at 04:32 pm 14

“The advantage us oldies have over 2the 0-somethings is that we have already seen Beirut in the 1960s, the Great Wall of China and Tiananmen Square and the bicylces of Beijing in the 1980s, the pyramids of Giza, Machu Picchu, newspapers announcing the death of Chairman Mao in New York in September 1976, a public beheading in Jeddah in 1994, and so on and so forth.”

I haven’t seen any of these things. Guess I’m not old. I have seen “Blade Runner”, but only one version… the original theatrical release. (Sorry, Mr. Scott, but if Deckard is a replicant, then the movie’s ending loses all of its poetic power, which comes from the fact that the construct has more humanity in him than does the man. I prefer the original. Also, James Cameron made a better “Alien” movie than you did, though not by much, and nobody else has come close.) When I go, all these moments will be lost, like tears in rain.

15. Boise Ed Oct 22nd 2017 at 03:17 am 15

Scott [5], I infer that you saw Tom Lehrer live, and for that I envy you. I once knew a guy who had taken Lehrer’s course (Philosophy of Mathematics, as I recall) at UC Santa Cruz. He said Lehrer taught more in 10 minutes than most other professors did in an hour, and the rest of the class was hilariously entertaining.

James [13]: Don’t bother. My wife and I both thought the new Blade Runner was tedious at best, but some people do think otherwise.

16. Keera Oct 22nd 2017 at 06:58 am 16

Thank you, Kilby! Haven’t been gone, just been silent. And definitely not because of anything anybody’s said. This is site and its commenters is still one of the best places on the internet. :-)

17. Keera Oct 22nd 2017 at 07:00 am 17

narmitaj @12, I like your take. We truly do not know our futures so may as well be delighted in getting longer and longer pasts.

18. Mark in Boston Oct 22nd 2017 at 11:17 pm 18

Also talking about aging, George Carlin pointed out that children work in half-years. “I’m 6 and a half!”

I do it too. I’m 66 and a half.

(One of my all-time favorite comic strips was by a cartoonist who claimed to be 33 and a half. Does anyone else remember that strip?)

19. Arthur Oct 23rd 2017 at 12:02 am 19

If you’re 66, could you say you’re 44 and a half?

20. Stan Oct 23rd 2017 at 02:08 am 20

I saw a great t-shirt the other day. “I may be old, but at least I saw all the good bands.”

21. Freezer Oct 23rd 2017 at 09:44 am 21

I saw it more as “Do you see life as dragging on or rushing by?”

22. pinny Oct 23rd 2017 at 02:28 pm 22

Re: Arthur [19]

I love it!

Reminds me of my grandmother, who had 8 kids, but would tell people that she had “two and a half dozen” kids.

[I purposely omitted the hyphen in the quote.]

23. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:25 am 23

Also thought the new Bladerunner was tedious and a waste of time - in making it and and watching it. And much too loud.

24. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:26 am 24

First time someone showed me the half glass of water picture and asked the question my response was - I see a half a glass of water. It is on the edge of the table. It will fall off the table and shatter and I know who (me) will be stuck cleaning up the mess.

25. Meryl A Oct 24th 2017 at 02:29 am 25

I am older now than one of my grandfathers, an uncle, a great aunt and a cousin (then again, the cousin was born 9 years after me so this would always be true for him) ever were. This coming year I will have lived longer than my dad did and in a few I will pass my grandmothers. My other grandfather made it to 95 and mom (his daughter) so far to 89, too bad I take after dad’s family.

26. Cidu Bill Oct 24th 2017 at 02:34 am 26

We saw the new Blade Runner film is a swanky theatre with plush, reclining seats.

Which worked out well because I was thoroughly bored and yes, I fell asleep.

27. James Pollock Oct 24th 2017 at 02:53 am 27

“First time someone showed me the half glass of water picture and asked the question my response was”

An optimist says “the glass is half full”

A pessimist says “the glass is half empty”

An engineer says “the glass is twice the size it needs to be”

A magician says “what glass?” and then when you look, there isn’t one.

There’s lots more of these.

28. Meryl A Nov 2nd 2017 at 11:36 pm 28

Bill - we won’t go to the theaters with those seats. In addition to being terribly grossed out by them for a number of reasons, they are too darn uncomfortable. The first time we found them in a theater, about a quarter of the way into the movie I debated going and standing against one of the walls to watch the rest as my back hurt so much. I figured Robert would have a fit and tell me that it was a “Meryl” thing so I didn’t. When the movie was done I heard how much his back hurt from the seat also. We switched theaters and when that theater did the same, we found a local theater to go to - but it just changed owners and we are afraid in their redo they will change the seats also.

29. Cidu Bill Nov 2nd 2017 at 11:53 pm 29

Meryl, I personally found the seat comfortable enough to doze off in at the time; but afterward, everything hurt.

The fact that the movie ran close to 3 hours (with trailers and such) certainly didn’t help matters.