Tissue

Cidu Bill on Oct 12th 2017

oct12-speedbump-tissue.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dave Coverly, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor | 13 responses so far

13 Responses to “Tissue”

1. Arthur Oct 12th 2017 at 12:25 am 1

It’s common for people to kill bugs in the house by squishing
    them, often with a kleenex so as not to get bug gunk on their
    hands. This one was mangled enough so that they didn’t want to
    upset the funeral guests with its looks.

Though their heads make them look like some kind of insect, they
    appear to have eight legs. Same joke works for spiders, too.

2. Kilby Oct 12th 2017 at 04:08 am 2

Arthur got the joke @1, the only problematic issue is identifying what sort of creature these things are supposed to be. I agree that “spider” has to be correct, but I was misled by the color and body shape to think “beetle”, which isn’t something that I would want to squish with Kleenex. Even worse, the beak shape doesn’t fit either one: it seems closer to “hummingbird”.

3. DemetriosX Oct 12th 2017 at 06:05 am 3

I read them as fleas, which makes even less sense. Nobody kills fleas with a tissue. I’m not even sure that’s possible.

4. Carl Oct 12th 2017 at 06:34 am 4

Spiders don’t have a proboscis. Some sort of mite or tick?

Or we’re thinking harder than the artist?

5. Keera Oct 12th 2017 at 12:35 pm 5

Maybe the artist drew Everybugs.

6. Joseph K. Oct 12th 2017 at 03:34 pm 6

Thought that was a tissue box. Now I’s unnerstans

7. Greybeard Oct 12th 2017 at 03:46 pm 7

I thought they were birds. In fact, I thought “Are those insectss?” and then “No, they’re definitely birds”. Had they been recognizably insects, I would have thought it was mildly funny.

And yes, I see that there are too many legs–but there aren’t clearly legs: I thought they were mangy, poorly drawn wings.

So it’s a drawing fail in my book, on both counts: legs and heads.

8. Bob in Nashville Oct 12th 2017 at 07:12 pm 8

I took them to be ticks. Aren’t removed and killed ticks often disposed of wadded up in a tissue?

9. pepperjackcandy Oct 12th 2017 at 07:15 pm 9

The only way I’ve ever killed a flea is to crush them between my fingernails. Actually, I think it was my thumbnails. It’s been a long time since I had a bad enough flea infestation that I could actually catch and kill any.

10. James Pollock Oct 12th 2017 at 11:25 pm 10

I used to kill the fleas by teaching them to swim. Combing cats keeps the hairballs down, and cuts down on active fleas. Flushing disposes of both unwanted cat hair and unwanted insect pests.

11. Kilby Oct 13th 2017 at 04:13 am 11

I have learned never to put a paper towel with a squished fly in the garbage can(*). The eggs in a dead female can still hatch, producing maggots, which then have an endless supply of food with which to propagate. If there is a week or ten days until the next collection, there is a 50% chance that the can may become really disgusting.

P.S. (*) Instead, I flush them down the toilet.

12. Mitch4 Oct 13th 2017 at 09:13 am 12

There’s a reason “stink bugs” got that name.

13. Ted from Ft. Laud Oct 13th 2017 at 04:41 pm 13

Most of the squishing I am familiar with takes place before the paper towel arrives - with Florida cockroaches, you can’t always take the time. If squishing does take place, one or more paper towels will be needed. (If the paper towel actually arrives first, the roach is generally evicted alive. They are sometimes flushed, but I think the water & sewer people prefer we not.)