Saturday Morning OY, not Ewww - October 7, 2017

Cidu Bill on Oct 7th 2017

oct-07-oy-nebulous.GIFoct-7-oy-eminem.JPG

oct-7-oy-dodge-argyle.JPG

Filed in Argyle Sweater, Barney & Clyde, Bill Bickel, Scott Hilburn, comic strips, comics, humor, oy | 16 responses so far

16 Responses to “Saturday Morning OY, not Ewww - October 7, 2017”

1. Kamino Neko Oct 7th 2017 at 12:04 am 1

Why are these listed as Eew? Seem like Oy or LOL to me.

2. Arthur Oct 7th 2017 at 12:07 am 2

Kamino Neko beat me to it.

3. Bob Oct 7th 2017 at 12:13 am 3

Also agree - I’d give “oy” to the first two and LOL for Kansas.

4. James Pollock Oct 7th 2017 at 12:41 am 4

The last one would have been better if she were talking to the band instead of the dog. Not sure how to make them instantly recognizable, though.

5. Arthur Oct 7th 2017 at 01:12 am 5

JP: No, those songs aren’t by Toto. She’s being kicked out of
    the band Kansas. So, she’s properly talking to her dog, Toto.

6. Cidu Bill Oct 7th 2017 at 07:10 am 6

Yeah, sorry, wrong subject line.

7. Carl Oct 7th 2017 at 08:41 am 7

I also found the Kansas one less funny (I still like it) because Toto is also a band name, but doesn’t make sense there. Don’t know how I’d work around that.

8. James Pollock Oct 7th 2017 at 10:34 am 8

“No, those songs aren’t by Toto”
    Who said they were?

“She’s being kicked out of the band Kansas.”
    Yes, I had grasped the joke.

“she’s properly talking to her dog, Toto.”
    And it would have been funnier if she were talking to another band (Toto), instead.

9. mitch4 Oct 7th 2017 at 02:15 pm 9

That one pretty much worked for me even knowing nothing about the band Kansas except that there was one called that. I just figured those song titles would have to be attributed to them for it to make sense.

10. Kilby Oct 7th 2017 at 06:32 pm 10

It took me a while to get the second one. It might have worked a little better if there had been three of him instead of just one.

11. Mark in Boston Oct 7th 2017 at 06:59 pm 11

I always wondered what would happen if Spanky And Our Gang met up with The Young Rascals.

My Dad thought it was great that there was a band named Martha Hoople until he found out it was just named Mott The Hoople.

12. Will E. Oct 8th 2017 at 01:56 pm 12

I’m impressed with the Kansas comic - Hilburn knows the difference between the song title and the lyrics. The song is “Carry on Wayward Son” but the opening line is “Carry on my wayward son”.

13. Kevin A Oct 8th 2017 at 08:47 pm 13

I laughed out loud at the Scott Hilburn one and think the timing and everything else about it was excellent. My whole being was clicked into the movie by the correct Dorothy quote even though I’ve been quoting it wrong often in recent years. Being 60 and having watched “The Wizard of Oz” every year it was on the networks (and I able to stay up that late) , plus having a soundtrack LP record with that quote and over 50-75% of the movie dialogue, I feel the comic may be the considerably more funny for those of us with a similarly deep intimate relationship with the movie.

14. Soup Dragon Oct 12th 2017 at 05:30 pm 14

“Eminem with Peanuts”?? Is that a candy joke? What?

15. Kamino Neko Oct 12th 2017 at 05:59 pm 15

Yes, it’s a candy joke. His name is a play on the candy (since Mars & Murrie and Marshal Mathers both initialize to M(&)M), the cartoon is a play on that.

16. Kilby Oct 13th 2017 at 04:21 am 16

@ 14&15 - That’s why I said @10 that the cartoonist should have replicated him, so that the caption could be “Eminems with Peanuts”. Not only does it read better, it conforms to the fact that it is nearly impossible to eat just one.