Dark Side of the Door

Cidu Bill on Oct 4th 2017

oct04-darksideofthedoor.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dark Side of the Horse, comic strips, comics, humor | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Dark Side of the Door”

1. Ron Oct 4th 2017 at 12:18 am 1

Expectation: Lock the door to protect the contents therein.
    Reality: Lock the door to protect the door from being stolen.

2. James Schend Oct 4th 2017 at 12:55 am 2

Reminds me of the glasses one. Just making use of a word with two meanings.

3. James Pollock Oct 4th 2017 at 01:39 am 3

Normally, the reason you want people to lock the door is to keep people from coming in and stealing and/or vandalizing..

In this case, they’re worried about having the door itself stolen and/or vandalized.

4. Arthur Oct 4th 2017 at 02:16 am 4

I didn’t think of it at first, but it reminds me of people
    who’ve stolen alarm and/or surveillance systems.

5. Mitch4 Oct 4th 2017 at 09:45 am 5

I’m perfectly content with the basic 2-way misunderstanding or pun, as so ably explained by several posts above.

But from the setup, I was indeed looking for something based on another meaning, perhaps a canal lock. Or lock of hair.
    (I sometimes go by a place called “The Lock Shop” which i assumed was a locksmith or hardware place, until I one time took a closer look and realized it’s a hair salon)

6. Andréa Oct 4th 2017 at 12:52 pm 6

Also the name of a hair salon in a book I was reading yesterday - synchronicity?

7. jajizi Oct 4th 2017 at 01:24 pm 7

This reminds me of an apartment I lived in while in graduate school, in the mid 1970s. The door to this goofy apartment had the hinges on the outside (inside the building, but outside the apartment). The flat had been passed down through generations of departmental students. Also passed down was the story of an early resident. One day, he heard something at the door as he was getting out of the shower. When he got dressed and unlocked the door, it toppled into the hallway. The pins had been removed from the hinges. Fortunately, the deadbolt was sufficient to hold the door in place, foiling the attempted burglary.

The landlady subsequently decided to keep the door to the building locked. That had its own set of problems, such as when a guest or delivery arrived, since there was no working intercom.

8. Cidu Bill Oct 4th 2017 at 01:47 pm 8

Mitch4, it’s actually illegal in many states to operate either a hair salon or a maternitywear shop without a cutsey name.

9. larK Oct 4th 2017 at 02:22 pm 9

jajizi’s story reminds me of a Feynman story about him stealing a door at his fraternity. Turns out it’s longer than I remember, so I won’t post it. If your interested, it’s here (for the anecdote I’m talking about, it’s the last one, but it’s Feynman, the whole chapter is fun, though I do think he was kind of a jerk to the waitress…)

10. Kevin Oct 4th 2017 at 02:38 pm 10

Just pointing out that the door opens outward which means that the hinges are on the outside wall of the building. Locking the door wouldn’t achieve anything since all a thief would have to is pop the hinge pins and pull the door out.

11. Brian in STL Oct 4th 2017 at 02:47 pm 11

One episode[1] of the fantastic TV series “Police Squad!” had the detectives setting up a shop in a neighborhood to investigate a protection racket. They choose a Locksmith shop. After they refuse to pay, someone throws a rock through the window, breaking out the ‘L’. A later scene shows a rural-looking fellow leading a large bovine to the “OCKSMITH”.

1. Wikipedia says Rendezvous at Big Gulch (Terror in the Neighborhood). A running joke was that the episode title shown on the screen was different than the one the narrator would say.

12. James Pollock Oct 4th 2017 at 03:31 pm 12

“Locking the door wouldn’t achieve anything since all a thief would have to is pop the hinge pins and pull the door out.”

Unless, of course, the door is hanging on hinges that have hinge pins that don’t pull out, as is the case in most commercial buildings.
    The fire code (often) says the doors have to open out, so that if there’s a rush of people fleeing a fire, they don’t get crushed to death against doors that only open in.

13. narmitaj Oct 4th 2017 at 05:46 pm 13

When working in a pub in Cheddar as a teen in the 70s, I locked my bike up outside. One time when I came out, the lock had been nicked but the bike was still there.

14. Arthur Oct 4th 2017 at 07:10 pm 14

I knew this existed, and did a search. This was the first hit:

It’s a way to secure a door even if someone has removed the hinge pins.

15. Mark in Boston Oct 4th 2017 at 08:06 pm 15

The story of the stolen lock reminds me of an old Andy Capp comic strip.

Flo’s friend us telling Flo that someone was stealing bottles of beer off her porch.

Her husband set up a camera to take a picture of the thief.

Flo’s friend: “The thief took the camera and left the beer!”

Flo: “Oh, good! So it wasn’t Andy.”

16. chuckers Oct 4th 2017 at 09:33 pm 16

As a general rule, apartment doors and house doors in Japan open outwards (unless they slide sideways.) This is to allow for someone to come inside to remove their shoes. A door opening inward would consume a fair amount of space that is taken up by the shoes lined up to go back outside.

17. James Pollock Oct 4th 2017 at 10:44 pm 17

“It often irks me when I see US shows supposedly set in Japan and they have inward opening doors.”

Speaking as someone whose only meaningful early exposure to Japan in media was Gojira, this is probably down the list for me.

18. chakolate Oct 4th 2017 at 11:52 pm 18

As an undergrad I worked in the library as a door guard, and I was very successful. While I was on the door, not one door was stolen.

19. B.A. Oct 5th 2017 at 12:26 am 19

What luck, Mark in Boston (15), to have been reading the strip on the one day Andy Capp was funny!

20. Samson Oct 8th 2017 at 08:25 am 20

This cartoon was written by my daughter, aged 9. I’m so proud.