Singing 9 to 5

Cidu Bill on Oct 2nd 2017

9-to-5.JPG

There have been articles suggesting that people go to sleep at 9 and wake up at 5?

And according to the strip Arlo is excited about this?

(though he might feel less excited about it at 5am)

Filed in Arlo and Janis, Bill Bickel, CIDU, Jimmy Johnson, comic strips, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Singing 9 to 5”

1. Folly Oct 2nd 2017 at 02:23 am 1

Not articles about sleeping 9 to 5 in particular I don’t think. There was just a time when Arlo wasn’t getting up at 5am and Janis could beat him to the paper.

Now, exactly what articles had to be hidden from Arlo is somewhat intriguing.

2. James Pollock Oct 2nd 2017 at 03:11 am 2

The “9″ and “5″ Arlo’s talking about are coming from the song, not the articles.

In case it’s not clear, he’s singing his own lyrics to the tune of “9 to 5″, by Dolly Parton, from the film of the same name.

I suggest that he’s gotten ahold of an article that says that Americans, collectively, tend to not get enough sleep, and he’s suggesting that he, at least, will be doing his part.

3. Mitch4 Oct 2nd 2017 at 03:39 am 3

I thought at first the reason Janis can no longer hide articles from Arlo that way is not anything about their respective rising hours but because they now get their news digitally, not on a physical newspaper she can alter by clipping.

Indeed, that’s what I would still think, were it not for some meta considerations. Aren’t syndicated cartoons committed to supporting the survival of physical newspapers?

4. Brent Oct 2nd 2017 at 03:46 am 4

At the very least the article that prompted this has to have been promoting early to bed, early to rise (although it is is possible that “9″ and “5″ come from both the song and the article was specific that way, which triggered Arlo using that song)… otherwise he could do is part against sleep deprivation by shifting the hours later, and Janis might still have the chance to cut out the articles before he got up.

I totally understand Cidu Bill’s confusion on this, as there would seem to be a chicken and egg problem if Arlo was now following advice to get up so early preventing Janis from being able to cut out the article that made him move to an earlier bedtime (which I assume she’s somewhat unhappy about having her bedmate getting up at 5am (with 8 hours of sleep) when she’ll probably have much less at that time).

5. Daniel J. Drazen Oct 2nd 2017 at 06:54 am 5

I’m a 10 to 6 kind of guy myself, but nobody ever wrote a song about it.

6. Pete Oct 2nd 2017 at 09:41 am 6

“Early to rise and early to bed
    Makes a man healthy, but socially dead”
    -Animaniacs

7. Stuart Oct 2nd 2017 at 01:56 pm 7

9-5 is eight hours straight, and articles lately have highlighted the importance of 8 hrs of sleep per night (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/24/why-lack-of-sleep-health-worst-enemy-matthew-walker-why-we-sleep)

And 9-5 overnight isn’t unreasonable, my parents are in that group. I prefer 11-7 myself.

8. chakolate Oct 2nd 2017 at 03:49 pm 8

A couple of decades later, and I still miss the Animaniacs.

9. Mark in Boston Oct 2nd 2017 at 07:56 pm 9

“Early to bed and early to rise makes a horse sickly, poverty stricken and a party poop.”

– Mr. Ed

10. Kilby Oct 3rd 2017 at 12:39 am 10

@ chakolate (8) - I would love to be able to share the Animaniacs with my kids, but they have never been released on a Region 2 DVD.

11. James Pollock Oct 3rd 2017 at 12:50 am 11

I have the first two DVD sets (on Region 1), and my kid was never interested.
    I have a 4-year-old niece, but I don’t if she’ll be interested, either.
    Youtube has many individual segments. My favorites are a supercut of the “Wheel of Morality”, and the “Macadamia Nut” and “Monkey Song” music videos.

12. Meryl A Oct 3rd 2017 at 01:39 am 12

We go for 4 to noon ourselves, although when needed we get up as early as 7:30 am.

13. fleabane Oct 3rd 2017 at 02:39 am 13

Arlo has read a recent article (there have been several https://www.google.com/search?q=sleep+9+to+5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) about how going to bed early and getting up early is healthy. He finds that very exiting and good new because he loves going to bed early. Janis finds his going to bed early irritating and misses the days when she could get to the newspapers before him to cut out the articles she didn’t want him to see (which she can’t do in the digital age).

14. James Pollock Oct 3rd 2017 at 05:28 am 14

“The obvious question is who in their right mind wants to get to bed at nine and get up at five?”

Benjamin Franklin.

The thing is, if Arlo has always wanted to go to bed early and get up early, HE’D be the one getting up before Janis, and she wouldn’t have been able to cut articles out of the paper before he got a chance to see them.
    He’s just taking the excuse to sleep more.

15. Carolyn Oct 3rd 2017 at 01:01 pm 15

Meryl - Really??

16. Boise Ed Oct 3rd 2017 at 03:39 pm 16

There was a time in my life when I slept from 9 to five. I would get off work about 7:30 AM, eat something, then go to bed.

17. Meryl A Oct 11th 2017 at 02:33 am 17

Carolyn -

We are both night people. When husband was working we were tied to his work schedule. Gradually the time we go to bed slid later and later - Hey, George Burns and Gracie Allen were in reruns and we didn’t want to miss them.

Right now it is 2:25 am. We are having prebed snack. This is our breakfast equivalent. By the time we finish and go up it will be around 3 or 3:30 (dishes to wash after we eat, etc.) He will fall asleep around 4. I tend to take longer to fall asleep (when we went to bed at 1 am when he was working it took me until 3 am) and will fall asleep around 5 am.

When we have to, we get up “early” When the hospital wanted him there at 6 am I got his doctor to move the surgery later in his schedule so we could go in for 8 am. We will get up as early as 7:30 am for reeanctments or such.

Since I was never a morning person (mom used to push me out the door still mostly asleep to go to school holding an unheated Pop Tart to eat on the bus.

Since I became self-employed around 30 years ago I make all appointments with clients in the afternoon, with the exception of one client who I went to once a year for his tax info, who I met at 11 am. They all assume I am going to another client in the morning.

My record, since we switched to this schedule, for needing to get up at 10 am or early is 4 days in a row - and still I could not fall asleep before 5 am.