Sunday Funnies - LOL, October 1, 2017

Cidu Bill on Oct 1st 2017

bizarro-plane.PNG

fs-ice-crusades.jpg

nyer-yorick.PNG

mark-potato.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, Bizarro, Far Side, Gary Larson, Mark Parisi, New Yorker, Off the Mark, comic strips, comics, humor, lol | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Sunday Funnies - LOL, October 1, 2017”

1. Kamino Neko Oct 1st 2017 at 01:26 am 1

Must resist urge to nitpick…

*rolls save* *die comes up 1*

Mr Potatohead eyes only have one peg, not one in each eye!

2. James Pollock Oct 1st 2017 at 02:02 am 2

That’s Mr. Counterfeithead. Note the lack of trademark indication branded into his hide.

3. James Pollock Oct 1st 2017 at 02:35 am 3

But I DO have a quibble with the first one. If the plane’s really on fire, how come there are spaces with no smoke between the letters and words? Is the fire going out and restarting?

4. Kilby Oct 1st 2017 at 03:00 am 4

Kamino Neko is correct @1, at least as far as the current plastic model is concerned (the original version was different). Parisi was probably influenced by the “Toy Story” version of the character, which had separate eyes (there have been “removable eye gags” in each of the three movies). The odd thing is that there is also a “Toy Story” version of the toy with joined eyes, even though the picture on the front of the box shows the eyes separated.

5. Kilby Oct 1st 2017 at 05:02 am 5

@ JP (3) - Perhaps it would have been better if they had still taught cursive handwriting when that pilot was in grade school.

6. Bob in Nashville Oct 1st 2017 at 08:13 am 6

I’ll let others quibble over the eye construction. I just get a kick out of it being so funny and so creepy at the same time. Well done, Parisi.

7. Carl Oct 1st 2017 at 09:05 am 7

The Ice Crusades Far Side is a geezer reference. The Ice Capades ended in 1990, although there have been two failed attempts to restart it. Neither was popular enough that I’d expect most 30-and-under people to be so familiar with the name “Ice Capades” as to immediately get the joke.

8. Powers Oct 1st 2017 at 09:19 am 8

Even if your plane is on fire — that’s still skywriting.

9. Andréa Oct 1st 2017 at 10:28 am 9

PERSONAL NOTE (SORRY) - Kamino Neko: did you used to be involved with Airedales? Your name is unique, and so familiar . . .

10. Terrence Feenstra Oct 1st 2017 at 10:49 am 10

Mark in Boston - Please keep commenting here. Need you to counterbalance some of the picky, tedious, pedantic commenters. All the best!

11. Ooten Aboot Oct 1st 2017 at 12:51 pm 11

So Carl, if the 30 and under crowd are not familiar with the Ice Capades because they ended way back in 1990, why assume they would be familiar with the Crusades that occurred several hundred years earlier?

12. larK Oct 1st 2017 at 12:53 pm 12

Not to be picky, tedious, or pedantic, but it was Dave in Boston who was threatening to go on hiatus.

13. B.A. Oct 1st 2017 at 01:26 pm 13

I’m familiar with the Ice Capades through cultural references such as this one, so the fact that it ceased to exist before I was born is completely irelevent to me.

14. Carl Oct 1st 2017 at 01:36 pm 14

Oooten Aboot @ 10: because the Crusades are enormously more famous and important.

15. Kamino Neko Oct 1st 2017 at 06:00 pm 15

Andrea - no, I did not. And there are a few other people out there using Kamino Neko. (It’s actually a real name, although the only other person I know of who uses the characters I do to spell it (神野猫) reads it as Shinno Neko.)

16. Andréa Oct 1st 2017 at 06:07 pm 16

Used to be a Kamiko Neko on my Airedale List, years ago . . .

17. GiP Oct 2nd 2017 at 03:24 am 17

I think those are not the eyes pegs but Mr.PH arms holding the eyes.

18. Kamino Neko Oct 2nd 2017 at 04:03 pm 18

Of course that’s the arms, but the arms have to be pegged into something. And, unlike the eyes, each arm has its own peg.

19. DanV Oct 3rd 2017 at 05:38 pm 19

Gary Larson quit making Far Side cartoons in 1995, so this one wouldn’t really have been a geezer reference when it was created. And I believe there are still ice shows being produced, things like Disney On Ice. Given the absurdity of the crusaders’ synchronized skating poses, I think the joke stands even if one has never heard of the Ice Capades. (Pedantic: it’s what we do at CIDU :) )

20. mitch4 Oct 3rd 2017 at 06:04 pm 20

Help! I am being held prisoner in a fortune-cookie factory!