Saturday Morning Oy - September 30, 2017

Cidu Bill on Sep 30th 2017

sept-23-oy-b-and-c-talons.JPG

Filed in Barney & Clyde, Bill Bickel, comic strips, comics, humor, oy | 15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Saturday Morning Oy - September 30, 2017”

1. mitch4 Sep 30th 2017 at 12:19 am 1

Well I’ve gotten confused, trying to read up on the term talents from biblical usage, as a sum of money — looking for different puns they could have used.
    I thought it was going to be in the saying “don’t hide your talents under a bushel” but that is a mistake. It’s usually “lights” or “lamp” and though sometimes people do say “talents” that apparently is just the English word, and is sort of a gloss on what is intended by “light” there.
    OTOH there is a “parable of the talents” in two versions in two of the gospels, where it does mean money. But this does not have the phrase about the bushel .

2. James Pollock Sep 30th 2017 at 12:23 am 2

“Well I’ve gotten confused, trying to read up on the term talents from biblical usage”

I give up. Why were you doing this?

3. Treesong Sep 30th 2017 at 12:39 am 3

The pun is the show America’s Got Talent.

4. 1958Fury Sep 30th 2017 at 12:48 am 4

The missing bit of blue background in the upper right of panel one is really bugging me.

5. Mona Sep 30th 2017 at 03:44 am 5

The guy’s white hair that looks like a baby’s bonnet is bugging me.

6. Kilby Sep 30th 2017 at 06:11 am 6

@ Mona (5) - He’s a semi-regular, his hair always looks like that.

7. Carl Sep 30th 2017 at 09:07 am 7

1958fury @ 4 … blue? On my monitor the background is an irritating shade of puke green. Now I’m wondering whose monitor is set wrong.

8. James Pollock Sep 30th 2017 at 09:24 am 8

“blue? On my monitor the background is an irritating shade of puke green.”

I would have identified that color as a shade of gray.

9. James Pollock Sep 30th 2017 at 09:25 am 9

In any case, it seems that some of you aren’t buying into Bill’s “second Barney and Clyde website” idea…

10. mitch4 Sep 30th 2017 at 10:10 am 10

I CAUGHT this morning morning’s minion, king-
    dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
    Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
    High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
    In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,

11. mitch4 Sep 30th 2017 at 10:17 am 11

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

12. larK Sep 30th 2017 at 12:04 pm 12

Thank you mitch4! A little well timed poetry in the morning, just the thing.

And always interesting to see how there is never anything new under the sun, we’re always doing the same things over and over again: Yeats on post WWI might as well be contemporary.

13. Mark in Boston Sep 30th 2017 at 08:05 pm 13

“You may have seen me hanging around the drugstore drinking chocolate malted falcons and giving away free high schools.” — Rocky Rococo

14. 1958Fury Sep 30th 2017 at 08:07 pm 14

Carl & James: For me it’s somewhere between blue and gray. At first glance I thought blue, but I could just as easily call it grey. This could end up being another dress kerfuffle.

15. Olivier Oct 2nd 2017 at 01:04 pm 15