Nobody Understands

Cidu Bill on Sep 29th 2017

sept29a-smbc.png

sept29b-smbc.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, Zach Weiner, comic strips, comics, humor | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Nobody Understands”

1. Arthur Sep 29th 2017 at 12:06 am 1

God recognizes that the only thing important to the man who died
    is his work. Unless one’s work is charitable or ground-breaking,
    it’s rarely mentioned in eulogies. God thinks that’s hilarious.
    He has a point.

2. James Pollock Sep 29th 2017 at 12:09 am 2

Man plans, God laughs.

3. Treesong Sep 29th 2017 at 12:37 am 3

I think 2017 years later is not too soon.

4. Winter Wallaby Sep 29th 2017 at 01:15 am 4

Comedians do observational humor, noting “funny” things that happen to them. The observational humor works if the audience can relate to their experiences, if fails if their experiences are too different. e.g. “Have you ever noticed that it always rains after your servants clean your yacht? Amirite?”

Here, Jesus’ observational humor is about how he dedicated his whole life to his “job,” but when talking about his death, people talk about his dad, not (just) about him. It’s sort of a stretch, because people talk a lot about his dad and about him, but I think that’s the joke.

5. Winter Wallaby Sep 29th 2017 at 01:16 am 5

“Jesus” triggers moderation? Or was it something else? (I know, I know, we’re not supposed to try to decipher the mysteries of auto-moderation.)

6. fleabane Sep 29th 2017 at 03:18 am 6

ww @4

I think your first paragraph is good but I don’t the stand-up bit is about Jesus but some unnamed other schlep. (I don’t even think the incarnation of God is supposed to be Jesus.)

People often talk about God having a sense of humor to describe the irony of life. This cartoon is simply taking this very literally. This poor guy who gave his all for his career but still went the way of all flesh as all must, is on the human scale tragic. This is basically a textbook example of 19th/20th century philosophical annectdote (I’m not versed enough to talk about *which* philosopher(s) this emulates). And the joke is, what if this *were* the humor that God finds roll on the floor funny.

We talk of God’s humor because “the human condition” (or “comedy” if you will) is one of constant striving for greatness and/or meaning yet such is always elusive and slightly out of reach. So we say god has a sense of humor. But if he *literally* thought this was *shtick* funny…. well, what a sick puppy comedian God would be.

Okay, I thought it was funny.

7. Winter Wallaby Sep 29th 2017 at 03:45 am 7

fleabane #6: So it’s more like “You spend your whole life trying to make a better future for your family, and then I kill them all in an earthquake. Amirite? These guys know what I’m talking about. Literally, I just destroyed their village. Ba-dum-bum.” Yeah, that works.

8. Minor Annoyance Sep 29th 2017 at 04:06 am 8

Old joke. Man goes to his rabbi.

“My son went to the big city. He comes home. He says he’s a Christian now.”

“What a coincidence. My own son goes to the big city. He comes home. He says he’s a Christian now.”

“Rabbi, what do we do?”

“All I can think of is to pray.”

They both kneel and pray. A deep voice echoes from the heavens.

“You boys want to talk about coincidence …”

9. Carl Sep 29th 2017 at 06:22 am 9

Minor Annoyance: so the Rabbi and his student are also Christian?

See, Jews do not kneel in prayer ….

10. Ignatz Sep 29th 2017 at 09:37 am 10

Vatican Cardinal says to the Pope “I have good news and bad news. The good news is that JESUS IS BACK. He’s on the phone and wants to talk to you.”

Pope says, “What’s the bad news?”

“He’s calling from Salt Lake City.”

11. James Pollock Sep 29th 2017 at 11:20 am 11

“See, Jews do not kneel in prayer”

Not allowed to? Or just don’t?

12. Jeff Lichtman Sep 29th 2017 at 01:34 pm 12

Bill doesn’t understand a comic about how people don’t understand God’s sense of humor. I don’t know what to call this. Real-life irony?

13. Ted from Ft. Laud Sep 29th 2017 at 05:17 pm 13

James Pollock @ 10 - it’s complicated (to the point that there is no general consensus on what the rules are or quite why). Kneeling on a stone floor is universally forbidden, but if there is something (and it doesn’t need to be much) between you and the floor, it’s OK, at least in some situations. Beyond that, it varies a lot by groups (Ashkenazi vs Sephardi, Orthodox vs Conservative vs Reform, etc.), locations, traditions, and situations. It was much more common in ancient days (the days of the Temple) than now, but there are certain services during certain times of the year when certain groups are more likely to still kneel. (It is probable - but not definite - that one of the things that caused kneeling to fall out of favor was the fact that Christians kneel.) Beyond a few specific things (like the stone floors prohibition), it is probably more correct to say it’s not done (at least by mainstream western Jews) than that it isn’t allowed. It is really unlikely that the people in the joke would actually kneel in that situation.

14. Lord Jubjub Sep 29th 2017 at 05:32 pm 14

Guys, Jesus came down as a Jew and founded Christianity.

15. turquoisecow Sep 29th 2017 at 06:42 pm 15

I grew up Catholic and married a Jew (we’re both pretty lapsed). The think that struck me after going to service the first time was, although there was plenty of sitting and standing in both religious services, there was no kneeling in the Jewish one. I didn’t think to ask if there was a reason.

16. Mark in Boston Sep 29th 2017 at 07:24 pm 16

I don’t know what Bible text is supposed to be “Jesus’ eulogy” but if you look at the Epistles, they have a lot to say about Jesus.

Generally speaking, if you really HAVE done something of note while you were alive, your eulogy and your obituary will have plenty about it, and then almost as an afterthought, “He is survived by his wife, three children and two grandchildren.”

17. Kilby Sep 29th 2017 at 07:56 pm 17

@13 - Jesus may have preached certain tenets, but it was his disciples that were responsible for founding the religion.

18. fleabane Sep 30th 2017 at 01:09 am 18

@13…. yes, that was the joke.

19. Kilby Sep 30th 2017 at 06:27 am 19

@ fleabane (18) - Here’s another one:

Jesus is filling in for St. Peter as an old man comes up to the Pearly Gates, wanting to get in.
    Jesus asks him, “What did you do for a living?”, and the man replies, “I was a carpenter for many years.”
    Jesus then adds, “Did you have any children?”, and the man replies, “Well, I had just one son, but he went off wandering, and so I lost him. I was hoping to find him up here.”
    “Did he have any distinguishing characteristics?”
    “Well, he had holes in both his hands and his feet.”
    Jesus asks with amazement, “Is that you, Father?”
    The man replies, “I’m not sure. Are you Pinocchio?”

20. Kilby Sep 30th 2017 at 06:30 am 20

P.S. @19 - Nuts, I remember reading WW @5, but I went and made the same mistake anyway. That’ll teach me to play around with goy humor on Shabbat.

21. Winter Wallaby Sep 30th 2017 at 01:29 pm 21

Kilby #19: “Jesus” doesn’t trigger moderation, since my comment #5 went through right away. There was something else about my comment #4 that sent it into moderation.

22. Ted from Ft. Laud Sep 30th 2017 at 01:52 pm 22

Things popping out of moderation after the fact really screw up the numbering, don’t they…

23. Cidu Bill Sep 30th 2017 at 02:13 pm 23

“Comment #5″ should always be interpreted as “Comment #5-ish”

24. Craig T Oct 1st 2017 at 01:09 am 24

I think the joke in the comic is that a man dedicates most of his life to his coworkers and jobs, but, when he dies, the eulogy is about how much the man loved his family and friends and how much they loved him, with no mention of his job and coworkers, so it ignores most of what his life was really about.