Photo Album

Cidu Bill on Sep 25th 2017

photo-album.gif

First of all, it’s supposed to be red yarn. I’m not entirely sure why, but it’s always red yarn.

The story I’m working on right now is sort of complicated, and every time I pass the hobby aisle at the local store, I have to fight the urge to buy red yarn, because I really, really want to post character names on a bulletin board and string red yarn between them to keep track of their relationships, but I’m not completely sure how to do it.

Is there a Red Yarn for Dummies book?

But I digress.

What exactly is going on here? I can understand Law Enforcement stringing red yarn between this guy’s various cohorts for their own benefit, but why would they do this in his jail cell?

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Dave Coverly, Speed Bump, comic strips, comics, humor | 12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Photo Album”

1. James Pollock Sep 25th 2017 at 10:33 am 1

After he’s convicted, they don’t need it anymore. No sense letting it go to waste…

2. Keera Sep 25th 2017 at 10:35 am 2

I thought it was cute. Guy’s an idiot and doesn’t know what an evidence board is (which may be true; my grandma did jury duty and said it was soul-crushing to see so many stupid people on trial). The police no longer needed their evidence board for this guy’s crime and gave it to him.

Can’t help with the red yarn thingy.

3. Wendy Sep 25th 2017 at 12:24 pm 3

What JP said.

As for the red yarn issue, I’d say the best plan is to just start trying to lay it out, without the string (just imagine where they’d go), probably with the most connected characters in the middle, and then work on it until you feel you’ve got a sensible layout that doesn’t have too many strings wrapping all the way around the board, and then add the strings in. Or just do in on the computer in something like Powerpoint, which I believe lets you make flow charts pretty easily. It even lets you have arrows and labels on the lines, which are a little harder to do with the yarn.

4. MaKo Sep 25th 2017 at 12:31 pm 4

I read it as the cops coming to interview him in his cell, kindly bringing along pictures of all his friends, and ‘helping’ him make a ‘photo album’ of everyone. What he thought was a kind act was them gathering intel on his criminal associates and their connections.

5. John Small Berries Sep 25th 2017 at 03:46 pm 5

Link charts weren’t necessarily always in red yarn. Sometimes different yarn colors could be used to show different types of links (green for financial connections, for example).

Of course, now it’s usually done with software (like IBM’s i2), especially in larger departments which are working numerous cases at once, because there’s only so many corkboards you can cram into an office.

6. Mitch4 Sep 25th 2017 at 04:24 pm 6

Yeah, I saw it as them actually giving it as a little (ironic) souvenir for him, and a bit of a giggle for them.

7. Christine Sep 25th 2017 at 06:05 pm 7

MaKo - I did not think of that in the least, but it makes so much more sense now that you’ve suggested that!

8. Mark in Boston Sep 25th 2017 at 09:36 pm 8

If you put a picture of Kevin Bacon in the middle, and use red yarn for the direct connections to Kevin Bacon, then orange yarn for the connections to those people, then yellow and so on, green, blue, indigo —

you can win any game of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

9. Cidu Bill Sep 25th 2017 at 11:47 pm 9

John, if it’s not red yarn, it’s not cool enough to bother with.

10. DemetriosX Sep 26th 2017 at 06:04 am 10

Hollywood has probably mad red yarn such a standard, because it stands out visually. Thinner cords and other colors (useful as JSB points out @5) might be fine for people in the room, but the camera wouldn’t pick them up as well and make them as apparent to viewers.

11. Olivier Sep 26th 2017 at 09:21 am 11

So, yarn is red for the same reason shoes are ?

12. Meryl A Sep 27th 2017 at 01:03 am 12

I agree with John Small Berries - if you want to keep track of your characters it might be easier to use multiple colors of yarn.

For example A is B & C’s son - red yarn between them. A is dating G - blue yarn between them. G’s parents are E and F - use green yarn to connect E,F&G and so on. You can use different shades of the same color also for similar things - such as red for A,B&C and pink for E,F&G instead of the different colors.

Hobby Lobby’s cotton yarn is much softer to the touch than the other assorted stores’ cotton yarns, but acrylic will work as well as cotton yarn for your purposes. Wool yarn is expensive and one has to worry about moths. Walmart is the cheapest place to buy yarn. Yeah, my husband is a weaver. I hear about yarn all the time.