Any idea what Connie’s so upset about?

Cidu Bill on Sep 25th 2017

television.JPG

Or is this just yet another candidate for the “unaccountable anger” tag?

Filed in Bill Bickel, Zits, comic strips, comics, humor, unaccountable anger | 20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Any idea what Connie’s so upset about?”

1. Kilby Sep 25th 2017 at 07:55 am 1

She’s simply ticked off by the imprecise terminology. She asked him twice to describe his location, but received just one useless and then one misdirectional reply. For her purposes, it would have been more functional if Jeremy has said “I’m fooling around with my laptop on the balcony”, but the basic dichotomy is simply between an overly compulsive mother (who never explained just why it was so impossibly urgent that she needed to know Jeremy’s location immediately), and a typically lazy (or brain-dead) teenager who cannot even be bothered to get his @$$ off his chair, even when his mother broadcast a seemingly urgent call for assistance.

2. James Schend Sep 25th 2017 at 09:41 am 2

She can obviously HEAR him, why doesn’t she just say what she wanted in the first place? And yeah, it’s been almost a decade since “watching TV” implied you were sitting in front of a television set in one specific location. And Jeremy specifically said he was outside watching TV.

I’m with Jeremy on this one. 100%.

Of course being a comic aimed at the kind of people who still buy newspapers, the mom has to be right and the kid has to be wrong in the final panel.

3. Brian Sep 25th 2017 at 10:48 am 3

Since she started her quest next to a sink full of dishes, she might be looking to get Jeremy to do his chores - so an obvious reason for him to avoid helping her find him.

4. Vulcan with a Mullet Sep 25th 2017 at 11:21 am 4

Hmmm… Jeremy is sitting outside getting some fresh air while he watches TV on his streaming device, so they want to kill him and move into an apartment.. Makes…. perfect sense.

5. Winter Wallaby Sep 25th 2017 at 11:24 am 5

I’m also with Jeremy on this one (maybe 90%, not a full 100%). If I call someone in my house, I wouldn’t expect them to get up and come, without a more specific request - e.g. “Jeremy, could you come here?”

6. James Pollock Sep 25th 2017 at 11:56 am 6

“And Jeremy specifically said he was outside watching TV. I’m with Jeremy on this one. 100%.”

He didn’t say “outside”. In fact, in response to WHERE he was outside watching TV.

He answers a question about his location with an answer that refers to what he is doing, despite the fact that what he is doing provides no clue as to where he is.

Had mom asked “what are you doing?”, gotten a response that “I’m watching TV”, and then gotten angry that this did not mean he was parked in front of a TV, I’d be with you. But she asked “where are you?”, and got an answer that didn’t actually answer the question. She’s justified in being angry at the kid.

7. Bob Sep 25th 2017 at 01:30 pm 7

“Jeremy!” “What?” “Come see me in the kitchen.” Of course, that would be a terrible comic.

8. Cidu Bill Sep 25th 2017 at 01:46 pm 8

Actually, wasn’t “Out here” already a legitimate response?

9. James Pollock Sep 25th 2017 at 02:10 pm 9

“Actually, wasn’t ‘Out here’ already a legitimate response?”

“Where’s ‘here’?”

10. Cidu Bill Sep 25th 2017 at 03:13 pm 10

“Out here” seems clear enough. “Here,” on the other hand, is fairly useless.

(as I’ve been telling my wife, to no avail, for thirty-odd years)

11. Jeff Lichtman Sep 25th 2017 at 03:22 pm 11

There are two reasons for her to be annoyed:

- Jeremy’s useless responses to her questions about where he is. It reminds me of the old joke about the guy who’s adrift in a balloon who, when he asks someone where he is, the person responds, “You’re in a balloon.”

- The snark. “Ha! Ha! Who watches TV on a television any more?” In other words, “Wow, Mom, you’re such a dinosaur!”

BTW, since “watching TV” isn’t restricted to a particular place for him, why did he give it as an answer to “Where’s here?”

12. Winter Wallaby Sep 25th 2017 at 03:24 pm 12

Bill #10: In your wife’s defense, “here” is often useful since you can tell where the sound is coming from. But yeah, “out here” is a legitimate response, and “out” does most of the work.

13. Winter Wallaby Sep 25th 2017 at 03:28 pm 13

I’ll add that while “out here” is a good response, “I’m watching TV” is not. But communication misfires (the Mom’s error in panel #2, Jeremy’s error in panel #3) are pretty common and to be expected when you’re shouting across the house. I would also tag this as “unaccountable anger.”

14. Seth Sep 25th 2017 at 08:22 pm 14

Jeremy obviously expected the next question to be “What are you doing?”, and answered that one, even though it wasn’t the question asked. While “wrong”, it’s a very understandable error, especially if he started replying the moment heard the sound “Wh…”.

15. zbicyclist Sep 25th 2017 at 08:31 pm 15

Faced with a deadline, the cartoonist falls back on the familiar “older generation doesn’t get technology” trope.

He tries idea 1 — nope, he’s used that one before.
    He tries idea 2 — nope, he’s used that four times before.

He tries idea 52 — nope.

With the deadline looming. he sees his wife watching a Modern Family on her laptop. An idea pops into his head. Sure, this would be a better comic in 2012, but he doesn’t have a time machine (if he did, he wouldn’t need to worry about deadlines).

16. James Schend Sep 26th 2017 at 12:14 am 16

A lot of people are missing the first point I made, which is if they can obviously hear each other, the mom could just simply *say what she wanted in the first place* instead of walking all over the house trying to find him. Her hands are empty, so it’s not like she was going to hand him some object.

And I think “out here” is a perfectly fine response to “where are you?”

17. James Pollock Sep 26th 2017 at 12:55 am 17

“A lot of people are missing the first point I made, which is if they can obviously hear each other, the mom could just simply ’say what she wanted in the first place’ instead of walking all over the house trying to find him”

You’re assuming a couple of things.
    The cartoonists left it vague about what it was she originally wanted (I think on purpose) so you can’t be sure it was something she could tell him, or should tell him by yelling it from room to room.
    I trained my kid not to yell things at me from different rooms… the rule was that you had to be in the same room if you wanted something (with only one exception, which was “I ran out of TP and didn’t notice before I sat down”, for which yelling from a different room was an acceptable practice.)

Second, since he’s being evasive, you’re assuming that telling him something from a different room doesn’t just lead to “What? You never told me that!”
    “Yes, I did. When you were outside watching TV.”
    “Well, I never heard you.”

“I think ‘out here’ is a perfectly fine response to ‘where are you?’”
    Maybe it is, if it’s possible to determine where “out here” is.
    If it isn’t, then it’s not a sufficient answer. Since mom’s follow-up was “where’s here??”, that would indicate that it was not sufficient answer to “Where are you?”

Consider: “I am here” is always a correct answer, in the sense that it is true, but it is not always a correct answer, in that it doesn’t communicate the responder’s present location to the requestor.

18. harvling Sep 26th 2017 at 06:22 am 18

Well, Borgman’s from my hometown, and we’re from the same generation. When my mom called my name, she absolutely expected me to stop what I was doing and find her. Maybe it’s a regional thing? (Still doesn’t make it funny, though.)

19. Meryl A Sep 27th 2017 at 01:09 am 19

“Where are you?” is not “what are you doing”. If where did not tell her his location, then it did not answer her question. He instead answered the second question if watching TV did not mean that he was where the TV is located.

20. DPWally Sep 28th 2017 at 02:01 pm 20

There’s another reason for her anger. Jeremy’s last remark “Who watches TV on a television anymore?” strongly implies that Connie is a hopeless dinosaur. She’s angry at the world for leaving her behind and at Jeremy for tactlessly pointing that out.

Though a teen using a laptop has no standing to label someone a dinosaur. By teen standards that’s old people technology.