Saturday Morning Arlo (Bizarro) and Two-Day-Later Almost-Synchronicity

Cidu Bill on Sep 23rd 2017

bozarro-sept-20.JPG

september-22-f-minus.JPG

Filed in Arlo Page, Bill Bickel, Bizarro, F-Minus, Tony Carrillo, comic strips, comics, humor, mermaids, synchronicity | 24 responses so far

24 Responses to “Saturday Morning Arlo (Bizarro) and Two-Day-Later Almost-Synchronicity”

1. Arthur Sep 23rd 2017 at 12:26 am 1

2. James Pollock Sep 23rd 2017 at 01:50 am 2

Strictly speaking, it’s a euphemism, not a sports analogy.

3. DemetriosX Sep 23rd 2017 at 06:12 am 3

As I learned from the Comics Curmudgeon, Arctic Circle (which I don’ read) had on the day synchronicity with Bizarro.

4. mitch4 Sep 23rd 2017 at 08:27 am 4

But “stuck on 2nd” is not an established or familiar phrasing. And nobody would say it that way, without “base”. The closest thing anyone would actually say is “stuck in 2nd”, where the implicit continuation is “gear”.

But what do I know? Until recently corrected, I assumed “I was left on read” must be using the past or past-participle form (the “red” pronunciation) since the message has been read (though not answered). But I was told it’s the non-inflected infinitive (the “reed” pronunciation), since that’s the designation of the operation — doing a read but not a write.

5. Powers Sep 23rd 2017 at 08:57 am 5

Yeah, I thought about sending in the Arctic Circle/Bizarro synchronicity but then I figured most CIDU readers also read the Comics Curmudgeon so I didn’t. It’s certainly a closer synchronicity both in time and in joke than the one shown here.

6. James Pollock Sep 23rd 2017 at 09:45 am 6

“But’“stuck on 2nd’ is not an established or familiar phrasing. And nobody would say it that way, without ‘base’. ”

The first doesn’t matter, and the second isn’t true. With the artwork in front of you, you know exactly what the dialogue means, don’t you?

Perhaps you’d prefer a wordier version:
    “I went through your phone. Who’s (girl’s name), why are you talking about our relationship with her, and what does ’stuck on 2nd’ mean?”
    (The longer version also accounts for the fact that it’s weird that the mermaid knows anything about baseball, or its use to refer to progression of physical intimacy.)

7. Kilby Sep 23rd 2017 at 12:04 pm 7

@ Powers (5) - I used to read the “Curmudgeon”, but I got exhausted with Josh’s pathological (and time-wasting) fixation on soap opera strips, so I quit.

8. rayal Sep 23rd 2017 at 01:00 pm 8

Second Base is a dated dating term. 1st base kissing, Second base a fondling of the breasts, Third base into the pants and 4th base is full on intercourse.
    The Mermaid only has the equipment for first and second base.

9. Brent Sep 23rd 2017 at 03:36 pm 9

@mitch4 (4): People drop “base” all the time… it’s redundant when you’re talking in the context of baseball, and Piraro did spell that out, so it’s all good.

10. furrykef Sep 23rd 2017 at 04:16 pm 10

James Pollock (#2): It’s a euphemism and a baseball analogy.

mitch4 (#4): “Stuck on 2nd” seems perfectly fine to me. Baseball fans omit “base” after “first”, “second”, and “third” all the time, and she mentioned baseball by name, so there’s no scope for confusion here.

11. Mark in Boston Sep 23rd 2017 at 05:12 pm 11

Certainly not the stickshift car analogy. But did you know that “shift into second” can be an instruction for a race car driver and also for a ballet dancer?

12. James Pollock Sep 23rd 2017 at 05:19 pm 12

“It’s a euphemism and a baseball analogy.”

To be a baseball analogy, it would have to be analogous to baseball. Since it’s not at all analogous to baseball, there isn’t a baseball analogy.

If the stages of physical initimacy ARE analogous to baseball, why is “think of baseball” often offered as an anaphrodisiac method? What are the analogies for an unassisted double play, the infield fly rule, the balk rule, and the ground-rule double?

13. Jeff Lichtman Sep 23rd 2017 at 05:38 pm 13

He may have been stuck on second, but he still wasn’t in scoring position.

14. PeterW Sep 23rd 2017 at 06:19 pm 14

That Bizarro gets the Arlo grand prize 2017.

15. B.A. Sep 23rd 2017 at 07:37 pm 15

No discussion of metaphorical baseball is complete without this: https://youtu.be/C11MzbEcHlw

16. guero Sep 23rd 2017 at 08:02 pm 16

“What are the analogies for an unassisted double play, the infield fly rule, the balk rule, and the ground-rule double?”

James, I think you just suffer from a lack of imagination. ;-)

17. Christine Sep 23rd 2017 at 08:20 pm 17

For some reason no one has posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDhCgAoggX8 in response to Bizarro. ( Arlo warning…)

18. mitch4 Sep 23rd 2017 at 09:29 pm 18

Here’s Zippy’s take on metaphor and analogy: https://comicskingdom.com/zippy-the-pinhead/2017-09-23

19. James Pollock Sep 23rd 2017 at 10:18 pm 19

“James, I think you just suffer from a lack of imagination.”

Nobody ever says that. The usual complaint is that I have an overactive imagination.

20. Bob Ball Sep 23rd 2017 at 10:41 pm 20

Royal #8 says the mermaid has equipment only for first and second base. I had to check this: I Googled on “mermaid anatomy.” The results were surprisingly complete. It appears both sexes are fully equipped.

21. Arthur Sep 23rd 2017 at 11:56 pm 21

“The base metaphor explained”. (I.e., “There’s an XKCD for that.”

22. furrykef Sep 24th 2017 at 12:24 am 22

OK, I’ll grant that “metaphor” is better than “analogy” here.

23. zookeeper Sep 24th 2017 at 12:15 pm 23

Rayal @8 - no 4th base, it’s Home & Score.

24. CaroZ Sep 25th 2017 at 06:05 pm 24

With the… abbreviated mermaid anatomy I imagine this was a ground-rule double.