Dead

Cidu Bill on Sep 22nd 2017

cidu-nyer-dead.PNG

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, New Yorker, comics, humor | 17 responses so far

17 Responses to “Dead”

1. James Pollock Sep 22nd 2017 at 12:09 am 1

People who have a medical condition that looks like something else often get told that they have the something else, because the medical professional has performed only a quick review rather than a full diagnosis.
    (They’re taught that; the saying is “when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras” More people have common conditions and diseases than uncommon ones, so it’s cool to think you’ve found the exotic disease, but it probably isn’t. Except when it is.)

Anyways, she gets told that “he” is dead quite a bit.
    Because he’s dead.

2. John Small Berries Sep 22nd 2017 at 12:29 am 2

Well, either that, or she’s The Doctor’s latest companion.

3. James Pollock Sep 22nd 2017 at 12:48 am 3

“or she’s The Doctor’s latest companion.”

Or Count Dracula’s. Or any of the various popular zombie show zombies, although as far as I know, they’re only the good guys in one, which happens to be the one I watch, and there the main character is female, because that’s what Rob Thomas does best… strong, capable lead female characters.

4. Mitch4 Sep 22nd 2017 at 09:25 am 4

Or “he” is so low-energy and uncommunicative that people in ordinary life are often asking if he’s dead or alive.

5. Kilby Sep 22nd 2017 at 09:46 am 5

Even though the term is utterly necessary to make the joke work in this context, this doesn’t change the fact that a real health care professional(*) would never describe a patient using that word.

P.S. (*) Well, at least not anyone with a sufficient amount of empathy.

6. larK Sep 22nd 2017 at 09:48 am 6

He’s dead, Jim!

7. Wendy Sep 22nd 2017 at 10:06 am 7

I figured it was a play on the celebrity death hoaxes. Some of them have been “dead” many times, and not just the ones who are over 80.

8. larK Sep 22nd 2017 at 10:34 am 8

I hate to tell you this, but Abe Vigoda really is dead now…

9. CaroZ Sep 22nd 2017 at 11:11 am 9

Mitch4 has it.

10. James Pollock Sep 22nd 2017 at 03:12 pm 10

Perhaps “he” is a parrot… pining for the fjords.

11. Joseph K. Sep 22nd 2017 at 08:36 pm 11

It’s funny because it’s a common saying with an impossible word substituted. If he was dead before, he would hardly be in intensive care now.

12. Mark in Boston Sep 22nd 2017 at 08:44 pm 12

“Have you heard about Fred?”

“Oh, Fred? The world’s worst hypochondriac? I suppose he thinks he has some terrible disease or other, as usual.”

“It’s worse than that. He thinks he’s dead.”

13. James Pollock Sep 22nd 2017 at 09:26 pm 13

“If he was dead before, he would hardly be in intensive care now.”

Depends on how good his credit rating and/or insurance is./are.

14. Stan Sep 22nd 2017 at 10:16 pm 14

“people in ordinary life are often asking if he’s dead or alive”

I also think that Mitch has what the cartoonist had in mind, but I think the joke fails as I don’t think that’s a very common way to put it when discussing low-energy people. At least, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say something like that.

‘Man, he’s so boring it’s like he’s dead!’
    ‘C’mon man, wake up! Are you dead or something?’

Do people say things like that? Maybe there’s a common phrase that involves death in this circumstance that’s escaping me. Please let me know.

15. Mark in Boston Sep 23rd 2017 at 05:14 pm 15

As we passed a cemetery, the young son of a friend said “That’s where all the dead people live!”

I thought it was funny at the time.

16. Kilby Sep 25th 2017 at 01:56 am 16

While reading some Calvin and Hobbes to my kids recently, I bumped into Calvin’s comment about “teachers sleeping in coffins all summer“, and I asked my son whether knew what sort of a creature “sleeps in coffins”. He immediately came up with the correct answer (vampires), but then his younger sister chipped in with “… and dead people”, which made me laugh.

17. Meryl A Sep 27th 2017 at 02:22 am 17

I figured it was just that he looks so bad or is so quiet that people always think he’s dead, which is why she has that reaction.

I dated a guy in high school who was very quiet and my dad would make jokes about him - that people think he’s dead, that he couldn’t wear a self-winding watch as it didn’t wind, etc.