Leaves

Cidu Bill on Sep 18th 2017

buni-autumn.gif

Filed in Bill Bickel, Buni, CIDU, Ryan Pagelow, comic strips, comics, humor | 14 responses so far

14 Responses to “Leaves”

1. Olivier Sep 18th 2017 at 08:52 am 1

Autumn joke.
    Brown leaves = grey hair. When you dye your hair, you dye your skin = bark with it.
    But, even dyed green, leaves will fall, unlike hair, exposing your dyed bark.

2. Powers Sep 18th 2017 at 08:55 am 2

Yeah, I eventually figured it out and agree with Olivier. But it wasn’t obvious because there’s no indication that Buni painted anything other than that tiny patch. And the green paint in the last panel looks like a covering rather than simply a coloring.

3. Tom K Sep 18th 2017 at 10:18 am 3

It was a good temporary fix. The last panel is after several weeks have passed, with many “temporary fixes” leading to a bald tree completely covered in paint.

4. Ted from Ft. Laud Sep 18th 2017 at 10:22 am 4

Have the leaves already started browning/falling, or is this a little early? (Honest question - I’ve never lived in areas where leaves actually fall, so I’m not quite sure when it happens. I’ve seen them in Massachusetts in October - in color, but still on the trees, so I was assuming it was more an October phenomenon.)

5. Christine Sep 18th 2017 at 10:37 am 5

Leaves aren’t changing colour in earnest yet (although I’m below the 44th parallel, so take that with the caution it deserves). However some Carolinian trees have started to lose their green (not all trees change colour spectacularly) and are dropping some leaves.

I appreciate the explanations here. I had, for some reason, been thinking of the leaf loss as caused by the “leaf refresh”.

6. Olivier Sep 18th 2017 at 10:39 am 6

Depends on how far North you are : I used to travel every week from Saint Dizier to Saint Omer and back, and in Spring and Fall, I’d see the calendar move forward or backward according to the trees : very pretty.

7. Kilby Sep 18th 2017 at 11:36 am 7

I’ve seen both American and European football matches played on grass that had been spray-painted to make the TV audience think that the field was lush and in good condition. It works from far away, but fails horribly in closeups, especially when the players end up with green paint and/or ink on their jerseys and pants.

8. James Pollock Sep 18th 2017 at 11:39 am 8

“Have the leaves already started browning/falling, or is this a little early?”

The answer, of course, is “it depends”. It depends on what kind of tree you’re talking about, and what the local weather has been like recently. Yesterday was the first day, locally, with “fall-like” weather. But leaves have been falling off the trees, and the evergreens have been shedding heavily but the wind and rain yesterday brought down a lot of stuff that had remained stuck to the trees until then.

9. James Pollock Sep 18th 2017 at 12:08 pm 9

I think the problem is that, in panel 2, there’s nothing that suggests the off-colored spot is the SOURCE of the expression on the tree, rather than just an element OF the expression on the tree. (Similar problem in panel 5)

There should have been a panel 1.5, with the discolored patch first showing up, before the tree reacted to it.

Second, the only text in the comic makes no sense. I’d expect a can labeled “leaf refresh” to be air freshener, not spray paint. This could have been solved by labeling the can “leaf green”, instead.

My interpretation involved chemicals causing defoliation rather than the natural seasonal kind, and I was seeing a cautionary tale about environmental poisoning rather than a simple comedy about vanity extending to the shrubbery.

10. John Small Berries Sep 18th 2017 at 01:16 pm 10

“there’s nothing that suggests the off-colored spot is the SOURCE of the expression on the tree”

It’s looking right at the spot while making the expression. (Note that the pupils are at the far left edges of the curved lines underneath, which Pagelow consistently draws under the eyes of characters expressing panic/unhappiness/worry - whether they’re supposed to represent a lower eyelid or “stress eyebags”, I’m not sure, but they do help define the direction of the gaze in this case.)

11. James Pollock Sep 18th 2017 at 01:27 pm 11

“It’s looking right at the spot while making the expression.”

In the sense that the spot is on ONE side of the tree, and the face is on the OTHER side of the tree?

12. r2t Sep 18th 2017 at 02:29 pm 12

@ Ted it all depends where you are and what type of trees. Sept is a little early for colored leaves in Pittsburgh where I grew up.Here in Phoenix the leaves change on the tress in the winter where its more fall weather. I see lts of leaves change and fall off in Jan here.

13. Kevin A Sep 18th 2017 at 08:57 pm 13

Spray-on hair has always created a little thickness as the little fibers clung electrostatic-ally to the fuzz on a balding head. I agree that the thickness made it too difficult to be sure of what we’re seeing.

14. pepperjackcandy Sep 23rd 2017 at 12:25 pm 14

In South Texas, we’re about two weeks out right now (the first Fall Foliage Report from Lost Maples State Natural Area was October 11 last year).