Handwriting Expert

Cidu Bill on Sep 1st 2017

sept01.GIF

Filed in Bill Bickel, CIDU, Cornered, Mike Baldwin, comic strips, comics, humor | 11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Handwriting Expert”

1. ja Sep 1st 2017 at 12:16 am 1

He has been given the opportunity to conduct a voir dire examination to determine the credibility of the expert witness, but he can’t get past the wondering why anyone would want to be a handwriting expert in the first place.

2. Winter Wallaby Sep 1st 2017 at 12:34 am 2

I was thinking less that he was “wondering,” and more that this is his way of undermining the credibility of the expert witness.

3. James Pollock Sep 1st 2017 at 12:47 am 3

Seems like a fair question that someone might want to know. It probably shouldn’t be ALL you want to know from an expert witness, but there it is.

4. ja Sep 1st 2017 at 09:51 am 4

@Winter Wallaby
    I agree that is part of it. What was in my head was that he couldn’t imagine an answer to the question that would not help his case.

5. Bob Sep 1st 2017 at 10:16 am 5

I thought it was miscategorized - more of an LOL to me than a CIDU.

6. turquoisecow Sep 1st 2017 at 12:17 pm 6

It is curious how some people become experts in their field - and what sort of things led them to that decision.

I guess the lawyer couldn’t think of anything to ask the handwriting analyst that was really relevant.

7. Mark M Sep 1st 2017 at 12:26 pm 7

I think WW has it. I’ll also add that the attorney doesn’t care what the answer will be. He has already planted the idea in the minds of the jurors that there is something not right about someone who dreamed of this career.

8. Mark in Boston Sep 1st 2017 at 08:06 pm 8

For that matter, what sort of person grows up dreaming of becoming a customer service representative, or a Web developer, or a rehearsal pianist, or a bank teller?

9. James Pollock Sep 1st 2017 at 08:11 pm 9

“what sort of person grows up dreaming of becoming a customer service representative”

Well, hopefully a customer service representative, although the temperament and most of the skills are applicable to a good many professions. Then again, aspiring to a specific career doesn’t mean that a person actually HAS the relevant skills, abilities, and traits needed to succeed in that career, as my career as a television and film producer demonstrates fully.

10. Meryl A Sep 5th 2017 at 02:45 am 10

A client of mine was a multi-generational family business and other members of the extended family were in the same line in their own businesses. One of the sons - slightly younger than me in age once asked me how I became an accountant. I looked at him and asked “How did you become a jeweler?” He seemed confused for a moment and then it hit him - the same way he followed his father into business, I did also.

I did meet someone though, who became an accountant because he was told he had to get a degree in business by his parents and accounting was the first choice listed.

11. Meryl A Sep 5th 2017 at 02:46 am 11

A thought - maybe he is the one charged and it is for having done something such as forging or saying something was someone’s handwriting when it was not?